Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting truck ready for winter

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty' started by EastWestHemi, Jun 29, 2020.

1. EastWestHemi

EastWestHemi Member

Ram Year:
    2016 2500
    Engine:
    6.4 w/4.10s
    Well, the time has come. I’ve paid my dues and heading back East/home for good to get back to the farm after being in Comifornia for 8 years.

my truck is a 2016 2500 6.4 stock Long bed, with aftermarket tranny pan.

I need to know...
    1. Best winter tires
    2. Best snow plow, upgrade springs? This is regular tradesman, no snow chief package. Alternator?
    3. I thinking block heater, I’m going to Northern New England, -10 isn’t unheard off, but I like a warm truck at 5 am
    4. Undercarriage paint? I want to hold off the rust and have the truck last for another 10 years. I will have a 20 mile commute on country roads everyday to work.

My truck has 23k miles, been babied here on I-80 between Sacramento and SF. No mechanical issues.

Ok just happy to take my kids out of here back to rural America,

thanks in advance

NH RAM likes this.
  2. mtofell

mtofell Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Love my 4 season snowflake rated tires. 60K mileage rating and got most of that out of my first set. I realize they aren't true snow tires but they do VERY sell and eliminate the need to swap out summer/winter tires.

Can't help with the rest since it's not that cold around here. Congrats on getting back to a more calm way of life. I'm just up the I-5 in crazy Portland. I've lived here my whole life and my wife and I are getting out in the next year or so. Can't take the craziness and don't want to raise my kids here. Going a bit warmer direction though :) Looking like Maui.

3. MSgtZ

MSgtZ Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Having come from Connecticut myself, and seeing what the pretreatment is doing to vehicles in New England now I do have a suggestion for protecting the body. Look at NHOU (New Hampshire Oil Undercoating). My brother has been doing this on his 2016 and he is very happy with it. He is trying to get longer than 10 years from his truck this time.

4. EastWestHemi

EastWestHemi Member

Ram Year:
    2016 2500
    Engine:
    6.4 w/4.10s
    Hawaii sounds nice, I hope that works out for you. What kind of tire do you have mtofell?

life is to short to waste which has precipitated this move.

I ask about the undercoating because since I’m taking a huge pay cut I would like the truck to last. No amount of money would keep me boiling in this pot of water.

I’m going to look into that NH undercoating, thanks.

5. 68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 2500 Outdoorsman
    Engine:
    A lot of guys up north like doing the fluid film on their trucks. I have looked it up & believe it or not WD-40 has nearly the same protection as the fluid film. Check it out on the internet. So 3 or 4 times a year I am drenching the under carriage with this stuff & so far the underneath looks great! I do admit that when I first got it, I under coated inside of the fenders & floor pan as much as I could reach & I touch them up in the fall to make sure they are well covered. The WD-40 gets applied to just about everything else. Before I started doing this the place that I was seeing most of the rust was the inside of the rear bumper. Kind of pisses a guy off. I wash my truck at least once a week in the winter to keep the salt off of it & really get the wand up under it to remove salt from the under carriage but for some reason the bumper wants to rust. It has virtually stoped the rust now that it gets drenched in the WD-40.

6. EastWestHemi

EastWestHemi Member

Ram Year:
    2016 2500
    Engine:
    6.4 w/4.10s
    WD-40? How long does it stick and last? Does it kind of soak in?

I have the engine block heater coming, looking forward to installing it. If I remember correct from casually dreaming about this last year you have to remove or partially remove the starter to install?

Going to do the 3k journey with original Firestone a/t tires and that will be the end of them at 26k miles— it will be early September. They are around 6/32 now. Going to tow my wife’s Pacifica van, maybe buy a 24’ gooseneck trailer and throw some other stuff on there too. $3.5k-4K to ship the truck and van is overkill when I can tow it for $1000 in gas.

7. canadiankodiak700

canadiankodiak700 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.7L Pentastar
    OMG really? WD40 is nowhere near the same level as fluid film. It's a water displacing penetrating oil (and I use oil loosely) that evaporate shortly after being applied which is the reason you are applying multiple times a year. Fluid film actually penetrate into the seams and into the metal surface pores and leaves behind a nice coating of a lanolin wax it does not evaporate you apply at once a year

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Gr8bawana and Dodge 1500 4X4 like this.
  8. canadiankodiak700

canadiankodiak700 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.7L Pentastar
    If you are going to live in the Northeast the block heater was definitely a good idea. There are a lot of good 4 season Mountain snowflake rated all terrain tires that work really well such as BF Goodrich all terrain ta ko2 and Falken wildpeak At3w. But if you're willing to Dish at the money for a second set of tires and rims ideally, a good set a dedicated Winters are still far superior. something such as a Bridgestone blizzaks or even the cheaper route but apparently is fairly well rated Hercules Avalanche extreme. And definitely a good undercoating done yearly. it's usually hard to find a good place that does fluid film undercoating but that is your best choice you will probably see a Krown undercoating dealer almost every corner I'm not a fan of them at all but I would still recommend using them before using WD-40 as previously mentioned by the other user.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dodge 1500 4X4 likes this.
  9. EastWestHemi

EastWestHemi Member

Ram Year:
    2016 2500
    Engine:
    6.4 w/4.10s
    I am going to have a dedicated second set of tires. One of the benefits of living in California is all the guys Installing lifts and rims on their trucks. I picked up a second set of mint condition chrome clad 18” wheels for $25 a wheel. The guy I bought from had upgraded to
    Laramie rims.

10. tron67j

tron67j Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    I have had 2wd and 4wd trucks in upstate NY. I always kept a small fwd car and put 4 snows on them, really tracks well, easier to steer out of a spin, and used them like a sacrificial anode on a boat. My last winter we had just over 300 inches of snow, never got stuck once and drove hills and highway. Kept my trucks in good shape, salt will destroy vehicles, whether you rust proof or not. I would have a friend stop by to plow driveway with truck or tractor, cost was better than knowing my truck was getting destroyed. Just can't keep cars clean there, even if road is snow free the melting runoff crosses road in daytime and sanders lay salt at night.

Can you tell I still have PTSD from living there most of my life?