Getting truck ready for winter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
I installed the block heater this morning. Very easy to take the starter down compared the the video of the guy doing it on a ram 1500 with the mid pipes in the way. No obstructions. 15mm bolts on the starter.

I’m going to need some help from someone who has the block heater on how to run the cord?

the 1500 guy ran it up around the back of the intake manifold, connecting it to the lower valve cover on the way to the front right side. Is the 2500 hemi 6.4 the same route? I have the starter back on and can wait for the correct route.

help please

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
I installed the cord today. Took awhile to figure out but I semi got it. I started from the plug in the front. It secures to two holes to the right of the passenger side hook as most people know and plugs into holes along the front inside frame. Pictured here

B0591D83-3257-48DF-9FBF-0830BCCAFE7B.jpeg

OP
OP
E

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
Once is hits the gray clip around the oil filter tray it goes up and inserts into this hole on a black bracket near the front bottom of the passenger side head. There is also a clip the attaches to the wire directly above that

086AEAD3-B80B-4D8F-A320-3E0983B3E803.jpeg

OP
OP
E

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
It comes up and you need to route it behind all the wires for the spark plugs and harness, this is a *****. In the picture the screw driver is pointing where I brought it up and routed under the wiring harness behind the plastic push tabs that hold it to the valve cover.

10864A16-C4D9-41E6-88D8-10EEC137DBC6.jpeg

OP
OP
E

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
There is a a plastic locking tab that needs to hit a hole at the rear top of the engine cover, I couldn’t get it. I used a ratchet strap to hold the wiring harness up a little by those damn fuel lines don’t move very much. I suppose at the factory they most likely put the block heater cord on first. Screw driver is pointing to the spot. I ended up just using zip ties and attaching the cord to the wiring harness in a couple different places along this run.

AAA9A5ED-49E0-41E6-A00D-AB45C673978A.jpeg

OP
OP
E

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
At this point you need to get the plug down and over the transmission. There is one more push clip that likely has a spot on the back of the engine, it’s impossible to find. Again, this is probably done at the factory with the engine and transmission out of the body. There are two built in zip ties, one looks to be around EGR pipe and the other is closer to the block heater. No picture here, I don’t know exactly what these tie to. It took me about 1.5 hours because I had to reverse engineer the damn thing back based on the distances between spots to clip to, I went in the wrong direction a few times. I did draw blood on my knuckles. It was 100 degrees and ended up pretty cranky when I finished.

Zack02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was looking at the spacers for the front, don’t seem terribly expensive and will probably go that route— I like the look of a leveled truck anyway.

Never really thought about a spreader, I use to plow everything with a tractor and never put down sand or salt, I’m not getting paid for plowing, maybe branch out down the road to neighbors.

The battery still seems strong, having such low mileage and warm weather, but the true test is the -13 Vermont morning. It is 4 years old which is ancient.

You should be okay without the spacers, imo. The larger springs are to handle the weight, spacers will only help with hitting the plow brackets on curbs. Some people plow brackets would hit every time they enter a driveway. But our trucks are so tall these days, that really shouldn't be an issue. The extra weight of a plow can cause the front of your truck to sag over time, even with the spacer. The extra weight will cause it to sway/bounce some. It's just the extra weight. Doing what you're doing, I dont see it being an issue, it's not like youre traveling a lot.

Anything under 3" really isnt going to push well...at around here, if it's under 3" or getting up around 32-35 we just salt and it will burn off.

imo, they both play a part. It takes a decent amount of power to lift all of that weight. I have a stock Mopar battery and stock alt and the lights do dim when raising the plow.

I have a 180 alternator. Is it worth upgrading if I don’t think I’m going to do the spreader setup the first winter? Alternators are damn expensive

Spreader hardly uses any power, I'd just run your set up and see how it goes.. Your truck will give you a pop up warning if it using too much power and not keeping up

OP
OP
E

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
Zack, so you think I should get the diesel springs for the front and that will cover it for the plow? Or are there special springs that come with the snow chief?

I suppose if I was lifting and dropping the plow a lot in a parking lot or something I would need a better alternator. Mechman has a high output single 370 amp, I suppose if it come to that I could get that one to avoid having to do a double alt setup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
PS don't tell people you came from California, most of the country has this weird stereo type hippie idea.

I had a temporary detour that lead me to California. I’m straight fly over state material, I can’t wait to shoot my first deer this fall in 8 years, butter+salt+ Back straps and labatt blue. I’d have hunted here in California, except I didn’t want to be murdered by dope growers and/or **** addicts.

I am going to particularly enjoy sub zero temps— I’m partial to Arctic Cats and the colder the better.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had a temporary detour that lead me to California. I’m straight fly over state material, I can’t wait to shoot my first deer this fall in 8 years, butter+salt+ Back straps and labatt blue. I’d have hunted here in California, except I didn’t want to be murdered by dope growers and/or **** addicts.

I am going to particularly enjoy sub zero temps— I’m partial to Arctic Cats and the colder the better.
You had me until Labatt Blue[emoji2] Otherwise known in Canada as "skunk beer".

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Well, the time has come. I’ve paid my dues and heading back East/home for good to get back to the farm after being in Comifornia for 8 years.

my truck is a 2016 2500 6.4 stock Long bed, with aftermarket tranny pan.

I need to know...
1. Best winter tires
2. Best snow plow, upgrade springs? This is regular tradesman, no snow chief package. Alternator?
3. I thinking block heater, I’m going to Northern New England, -10 isn’t unheard off, but I like a warm truck at 5 am
4. Undercarriage paint? I want to hold off the rust and have the truck last for another 10 years. I will have a 20 mile commute on country roads everyday to work.

My truck has 23k miles, been babied here on I-80 between Sacramento and SF. No mechanical issues.

Ok just happy to take my kids out of here back to rural America,

thanks in advance

It’s July

Sent from Blue Onyx

Zack02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Zack, so you think I should get the diesel springs for the front and that will cover it for the plow? Or are there special springs that come with the snow chief?

I suppose if I was lifting and dropping the plow a lot in a parking lot or something I would need a better alternator. Mechman has a high output single 370 amp, I suppose if it come to that I could get that one to avoid having to do a double alt setup.

Personally, if all you're doing is a road and a couple drives, I probably wouldn't worry about it. It's not you're going to be doing 70 mph down the highway. And you wont leave your plow on, you'll put it the night before a storm and take off when it's done. Mine is 12 years old and it only takes two minutes to put the plow on and hook up the wires.

I believe the dual alts are only on the Cummins? My tuck doesnt have the dual alt. My truck only has what comes factory...like you said, your'e not doing big commercial places, I think you'll be okay.

OP
OP
E

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
I think some of the hemi guys have dual alternators. I have read some of the threads about it, I guess you have to get the dealer to flash the vehicle.

sounds good. I saw there are after market springs that supposedly give you 35% more weight capacity. I think they were between $200-300 for a pair.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As many have said, get it sprayed with Fluid Film/Woolwax/NHOU/etc BEFORE the winter. Very important in New England or any of the salt spraying states.

For tires you want a snowflake rated tire, Falken Wildpeaks, BFG KO2s, and Cooper AT3 4S are all great choices.