Ghost1500's (aka-Mike) mild build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just a quick update.... The truck is running great! Any small mods I should consider? I was thinking of a tune next or maybe a set of headers. something that will not destroy anything... lol....

Best regards,

-Mike
Don't even look at a Diablo if you have the 8 speed Mike.Alot of the 8 speeds in the early 13 and 14's aren't supported by Diablo,and they have no intentions of supporting the early 8 speeds,which means you'll have to go right to HP tuning ,but the good news is,your 14 is realitly cheap to tune,as you don't need an unlocked PCM. I hope when you say headers,you're referring to long tubes,as shorties are basically a waste of time,and they aren't really good for a truck.You want long tubes on a truck as they generate torque at the bottem end,and carry it all the way through the rpm band,while shorties are more geared towards higher rpm.Same principle as you're variable runner intake manifold,the long runners are for torque,and the short runners are for higher rpm power.

OP
OP
Ghost1500

Ghost1500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I was thinking of a set of Kook's headers and their Y-Pipe with cats. I know it's like 3500 bucks but I'll do this when the warmer weather hits. Any other less expensive recommendations regarding long tubes? I will get them Jet-Hot coated first too so there doesn't need to be a coating on it when I buy it. Thx for the reply Wild One.

Best regards,

-Mike

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking of a set of Kook's headers and their Y-Pipe with cats. I know it's like 3500 bucks but I'll do this when the warmer weather hits. Any other less expensive recommendations regarding long tubes? I will get them Jet-Hot coated first too so there doesn't need to be a coating on it when I buy it. Thx for the reply Wild One.

Best regards,

-Mike
A lot of people prefer ARH or stainless works. I looked at kooks but they aren’t as long as ARH. If I was going to build the 6.4 I want I’d splurge for a set of 1-7/8 ARH headers. The 1-3/4 set that I have now is great. I had them ceramic coated and I'm not sure how much that helped as I have nothing to compare. When I go to do the cam and I pull the headers I’m going to order exhaust wrap and wrap them as well. Kooks aren’t bad but longer gives better torque which is why I went that way. If I was doing a boosted setup the 2” Kooks would be pretty high on my list.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Best regards,

-Mike
Khris covered it pretty well,Kooks are more like a mid length header,Stainless Works or ARH's are a better choice Mike.I wrap all my headers,even if they're coated,keeps more heat in the primaries which keeps exhaust velocity up promoting better scavenging,and helps control underhood temps,and protects your wiring and hoses that are in the vicintity of the headers from heat degradation.