glove box door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97RedRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone had a problem with the plastic glove box hinge on a 94 to 98 Ram breaking? I had to replace the glove box with a used one due to a broken hinge hook then a few weeks later the plastic hinge pin has broken. I close it very carefully so I do not understand they break so easily unless the plastic is fatigued due to age.

19Slick69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 2500HD
Engine
5.9l gas
I've had the same issue. My left hinge pin broke. So like you, I now open and close the glove box very carefully. I also took almost everything out to eliminate the need to use it. It's the same issue 2nd & 3rd gens had with dashboard failures. Cheap inferior plastic composition of dash components.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My '94 2500 broke the left hinge this past summer. It's the same bad plastic as the top dash that gets hard and brittle with age.

My top dash was perfect when I got the truck in '07. Went to an auto auction pulling my car trailer one evening late.

It got really cold that night, and I had to come home using an extremely rough section of the interstate for a few miles.

The next morning I looked, and the dash was busted all up. Been getting worse ever since.

I have a new, factory replacement dash in the box, sitting in a warm room in the house. Been there 10 years now. Need to get around to changing it some day.

The thing is, it's been so long now, the paint has flaked and faded so bad, I don't know if it's worth putting the dash in. lol

OP
OP

97RedRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After gluing the hinge pin with epoxy I put a little dab of grease on the pin before putting the glove box door back on. It seems to move much easier but I moved all the stuff that was in there to the center console box anyway. I will not use the box anymore.

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone had a problem with the plastic glove box hinge on a 94 to 98 Ram breaking? I had to replace the glove box with a used one due to a broken hinge hook then a few weeks later the plastic hinge pin has broken. I close it very carefully so I do not understand they break so easily unless the plastic is fatigued due to age.
It’s the same problem on all years of the 2nd Gen. My 2001 has two of the hinges broken now. Unfortunately broken on the under dash part as well; not just the box itself. I probably open it once or twice a year and hardly keep anything in it anymore. It’s just the crappy plastic that all Dodges of that era are cursed with.

OP
OP

97RedRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello Spike 95, is it possible to use epoxy to glue it back together? Using blue painters tape will help hold it together. Let me know how it works out.

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello Spike 95, is it possible to use epoxy to glue it back together? Using blue painters tape will help hold it together. Let me know how it works out.
Yes epoxy can be used. I have used JB Plastic Weld epoxy on other internal parts of my dash. I still would not likely use the glove box very much after that repair though. Even if my repair was solid, all the plastic right next to it will still be brittle. Also the parts that broke off are long gone, so I would need to fashion the parts out of scrap dash plastic that I’ve gotten off another member. I’m just afraid I might wind up fixing it until it is broken even worse, so I dare not touch it any more than I have to. It’s funny that I posted on this thread last night, and then just this morning the plastic folding support that my cup holder hangs from broke as I set a cup onto it. I love my truck, but I hate whoever Dodge sourced the plastic from.

At this point I am pretty much in a holding pattern praying things don’t fall apart before someone starts to make the dash subassembly aftermarket. There is a company that is working on it, but they still aren’t in production.

OP
OP

97RedRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
f you are not going to use it then get some strong velcro and velcro it in place until you can either repair or replace it. I had a friend that did it to his.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963