Glove box scratches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin1022

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I put a 20 lb propane tank on the passenger side floor, wrapped it in a towel and still managed to scratch the lower glove box. I knew scratches were inevitable but was hoping to have at least a month in. I tried spit and rubbing and it made it worse - seemed to remove the black color. I may consider replacing it if I can make a decent repair. I also tried a magic eraser and still don’t have good results. Any advice? Oh BTW just got a crate for the future when I need to take it for a refill so I can secure it in the truck bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverBullet85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put a 20 lb propane tank on the passenger side floor, wrapped it in a towel and still managed to scratch the lower glove box. I knew scratches were inevitable but was hoping to have at least a month in. I tried spit and rubbing and it made it worse - seemed to remove the black color. I may consider replacing it if I can make a decent repair. I also tried a magic eraser and still don’t have good results. Any advice? Oh BTW just got a crate for the future when I need to take it for a refill so I can secure it in the truck bed.

That sucks for sure. Not sure what you can do other than hide it ..Any kind of sanding would likely not go well if it's a deep enough scratch to even consider that method. I'd look into a decal, vinly, badge or some kind of customization to cover it up with if it bugs you enough. Maybe the replacement cost won't be too bad.

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Can you get a pic of it?

OP
OP
Kevin1022

Kevin1022

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
455fae5c458c2310635d8826ce615902.jpg

The picture is not the best but the light wasn’t so good today.

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
455fae5c458c2310635d8826ce615902.jpg

The picture is not the best but the light wasn’t so good today.

If you want OTC options I would go to advance auto get Griota Garage interior cleaner and some protectant of choice like 303. It will hide it, don’t use abrasives like magic eraser or you will do more damage than good.

OP
OP
Kevin1022

Kevin1022

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thank you! I will try the OTC methods.

warv3t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
don't laugh ...........a lighter. But you have to hold that lighter at the perfect distance. It sounds crazy, but I scratched my GMC door panel and a guy on GMC forum told me to do it. I went real slow and it did "help" ......but never took it completely away. But it looked better.

Got it warm and just used my finger to kinda "smoosh" the area in. You can find youtube videos on it. If I scratched mine, this early....I'd just replace it though!

and yes..........303 protectant is the bomb!! It'll darken it up and hide it better

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
don't laugh ...........a lighter. But you have to hold that lighter at the perfect distance. It sounds crazy, but I scratched my GMC door panel and a guy on GMC forum told me to do it. I went real slow and it did "help" ......but never took it completely away. But it looked better.

Got it warm and just used my finger to kinda "smoosh" the area in. You can find youtube videos on it. If I scratched mine, this early....I'd just replace it though!

and yes..........303 protectant is the bomb!! It'll darken it up and hide it better

Mix a crayon to this. Get a 300pack of the crayons and find the closet color. Color it in, then melt the wax and blend it in.

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

With 303 you don’t wipe on and leave, you have to buff it till dry so it bonds to the surface.

OP
OP
Kevin1022

Kevin1022

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks everyone for the advice. For now I will use Griots interior cleaner and 303 to see how that works. Then once parts become available I may price out a replacement glove box door.

ImNickJames

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

+1 on heat. heat gun would be more controlled than a lighter.

warv3t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With 303 you don’t wipe on and leave, you have to buff it till dry so it bonds to the surface.

I would hope no one is spraying on 303 and just leaving it.........or any sort of protectant. If so, I wonder if they squirt dish washing liquid on dishes and just leave it :)

AresSK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Try Vaseline. I stumbled across this suggestion somewhere else and tried it on mine. I had two pretty good scratches on my interior plastic - the Vaseline took care of one, but not the other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try Vaseline. I stumbled across this suggestion somewhere else and tried it on mine. I had two pretty good scratches on my interior plastic - the Vaseline took care of one, but not the other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It will hide it, however it will collect dust like no other.