Glue or Puddy removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barry Phillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
0AEE2279-435C-412E-80D1-CE57A05155B2.jpeg I just recently got some Fender Flares and when I went to install them when I realized I needed to remove the HEMI badges on both front sides of my truck. Passenger side came of great with a hairdryer and peeling off glue. The driver side badge came off but it has left some spots of substance that I can’t figure out how to get off. It’s hard, looks like glue but harder like a puddy almost. I’ve tried hairdryer, goof off and a 3m eraser wheel and nothing seems to work. Any suggestions!!!?? Anxious to get it removed so I can add my flares but don’t want to chip any paint.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As stupid as it sounds nail polish remover, put some on a clean rag hold it over the glue for a few seconds and a bit of elbow grease but be warned if you leave it on too long it will start to to soften the clear coat and cause scratches/streaks when you apply pressure and try to scrub

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Barry Phillips

Barry Phillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok. Yeah as you see in picture that one spot is like a mound and very very hard. Willing to try anything that might work and doesn’t effect paint

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
WD40 softens glue.
Lighter fluid (naptha) works well on many stains/materials and won't harm the paint.
Whatever you use to soften it use a plastic body filler spreader to remove it so you don't scratch the paint.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok. Yeah as you see in picture that one spot is like a mound and very very hard. Willing to try anything that might work and doesn’t effect paint
I would have said rubber wheel but you mentioned you tried that. Just out of curiosity was it notched or smooth? What tool did you use?

OP
OP
Barry Phillips

Barry Phillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bought 3m adhesive eraser wheel which was smooth and didn’t take off any of whatever this glue or hard **** is. Tried the goof off stuff and did nothing. Someone told me a heat gun bc it goes way hotter then a hairdryer. Idk just confused and frustrated after seeing the 3m wheel do nothing to it.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So the problem with the 3M ones in my experience is they are softer then some of the others. I would recommend and slightly stiffer one and if you can find a notched one like in the picture (that one goes on a grinder style tool) and use at slightly higher RPM. The other thing I can suggest is a buffer with a cutting cream but the problem there is then you really should do the whole truck or the one fender will be brighter then the rest of the truck6b1bec36ed8d6e767042918ac6828a57.jpg

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I don't have the answer, just a thought that the badge came loose and someone stuck it back on with who knows what kind of adhesive, not the expected stuff. Good luck finding it's weakness. Hopefully it's not something really nasty like 2 part epoxy.

OP
OP
Barry Phillips

Barry Phillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I figured that’s what happened. Someone put back on with something stronger and not knowing. Who knows just hope I can get spots off. Thanks for help

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Release agents
Googone
WD-40

Solvents
Mek
Acetone

I have good luck just trying to rub my crusty ass finger over and over like rolling a booger.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Release agents
Googone
WD-40

Solvents
Mek
Acetone

I have good luck just trying to rub my crusty ass finger over and over like rolling a booger.
The biggest issue with solvents is if you're not experienced with them you can do damage to the clear coat

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
True, just hurry up and clean that ****.

Catylysed paint can take a beating. I have not performed any tape pull or submersion test on my truck paint, but i am comfortable with 5 minutes or so.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just as a detailer I can tell you 5 minutes would eat your clear coat. You really don't want it to soak for really more then a minute. Just remember what ever it does to what your trying to remove it's also doing to the clear coat. That's why when done you really should use a swirl remover buffing cream.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What do youthink hes going to do? Submerge fender in acetone?

Put some on a towel and clean.
Hit it and quit it.

OP
OP
Barry Phillips

Barry Phillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I thought using my nail I could pick away but it’s way to hard.

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
611EAE24-AEB7-451E-9270-132DE372435E.jpeg
View attachment 233494 I just recently got some Fender Flares and when I went to install them when I realized I needed to remove the HEMI badges on both front sides of my truck. Passenger side came of great with a hairdryer and peeling off glue. The driver side badge came off but it has left some spots of substance that I can’t figure out how to get off. It’s hard, looks like glue but harder like a puddy almost. I’ve tried hairdryer, goof off and a 3m eraser wheel and nothing seems to work. Any suggestions!!!?? Anxious to get it removed so I can add my flares but don’t want to chip any paint.
I have removed mine now but previously ended up reapplying badge 1” back because of residue that wouldn’t come off, if you use a double sided tape cut around the residue would it flush against the fender? I can’t tell how far it sticks out & if you even want to put them back on. I used gorilla tape & had harder time removing them the second time, wanted to try the clean look & wasn’t happy with my first attempt- I didn’t trim the tape around the letters & looked bad. Used a lot less when I put on tailgate & so far it seems solidBD7E2E28-3BA7-4E21-925E-4F49ECAA85E9.jpeg

beebop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I keep a spray can of 3M 38987 adhesive remover on hand for removing the residue left behind from removing stripes, emblems, etc. Never had it damage paint, and I've removed/de-badged plenty over the years. Yes it also removes the wax in the area it's used on, but it also gets off what you need to get off.s-l500.jpg