GM DFM and AFM lifter failure - class action lawsuit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
This needs to hapen ASAP to RAM and the other Stelantis brands that use HEMI engines in their vehicles so that this endless debate over what causes lifter failure and what kind of lube to use to mitigate it ends. It's a manufacturer issue on the supplier side and possibly incorect assembly of HEMI engines that causes cam and lifter failure. GM is so scared at this point that they ordered dealers to replace lifters in brand new vehicles before the customers come to pick them up. That means they know that they're selling garbage and they can even identify the vehicles they have bad lifters in. That's nuts!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeah, I had a 2007 Chev Silverado with 5.3L AFM that starting pumping oil like an oil well around 70k miles. The blogosphere was full of these incidents on that motor, with the combination of GM cheapening the power cylinder tightness and AFM cylinders running cold sticking the piston rings over time, and pumping oil past them.

Just like the commenters on the youtube video state, I started pumping around 1 quart of oil in 1,000 miles. Of course GM said that was "normal"!!! After insulting my intelligence, I told them I had never owned an engine that used that much oil at any mileage. To which they tried to claim this is the "new normal".

That's when I got pi$$ed and had enough - cleaned the internals to drop the oil consumption, then got rid of it for 1st Ram in 2012.

DJ18hemi1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems like certain years of GM engines had more issues. Hard to figure when the design didn’t change.

horace33

Reaction score
Ram Year
97 dodge 18LARAMIE
Engine
318 5.7
When I was a county commissioner at a finance meeting the subject of trucks came up, the auditor he had NO OIL on his 5.3 dip stick, the other commissioner had his in @ the GMC dealer during the meeting for the same thing, the administrator said "oh that's nothing I already had a new engine put in my Suburban. I just couldn't just sit there, "my 220,000 mile 318 used a quart in 4500 miles" with a giant smile.