GM driver for 25 years, first RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Can Water Geo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi everyone, I've been lurking here a few weeks getting a feel for how people like their 4th gen RAMs as I've been thinking (and 1 week ago) took the plunge into my first 1500.

As a bit of background I've driven GM products since I was 16. (Firefly, Sprint, Firefly, S-10, Aztek (yes and it was yellow), '05 Silverado, (4.8L 4x4 eztended cab) '11 Sierra (4x4 crew cab), and '14 Silverado (Z71 4x4 crew cab). As full disclosure my dad used to work for a contractor to GM so it was kind of assumed us kids would all drive GM's.

Anyways (since starting this post I've talked with my dad and he's only dissapointed that I didn't pay off my previous vehicle before trading) I chose the RAM because I really liked the interior and way it rode. Ford trucks were just not something I was drawn to, Tundras I wasn't interested in because I drove one a few years ago and hated the ergonomics in the cab and I've heard some bad things about the Titan line.

My dealer process included a few weeks ago taking a 2017 Bighorn on a test drive from the local dealership, they appraised my 2014 chev and gave me an initial number as well as payments. This was higher than I thought I would be happy with so decided to let the matter rest for the time being. As February ended and March started I looked at the Ram Canada website and noticed that there were better incentives out there on '17s. During a business trip to a nearby city (Grande Prairie) driving the company truck (A Honda Ridgeline...) I stopped at a dealership with some numbers in my head, pictures of my VIN and truck as well as giving them info on what my previous appraisal and payment budget were. Based on that I thought I'd see what they thought and mayber take a test drive.

Long story short I drove this white 2017 SLT crew cab with a hemi and the 8 speed and was certainly impressed. The first truck I tired was a Bighorn but almost identiacally appointed. As far as I can tell the differences were the unit I ended up buying lacked nav, folding mirrors and running boards. The colour (white) was even the same. Though looking at my pictures of the first test drive I don't think the Bighorn had a built in trailer brake controller.

I'll paste the build sheet (found on the net) in detail later but here's the quick summary of options that are on my unit that I bought:

-SLT
-white
-4x4
-Hemi
-heated buckets
-heated wheel
-3.92 gears
-20" rims
-5'7" box
-box lighting
-dealer applied undercoat and mudflaps
-5 yr / 100k warranty including up to 15 oil changes and tire rotations at any dealership in Canada
-8.4 inch Uconnect (though us Canadians really don't get the benefit of the service)
-towing package

I'll stop there the rest of the info from the webiste is below (sorry for the formatting lol).

Since buying I'm really impressed with the firmness of the vehicle (though to be fair the old chev had 100,000 km or 60,000 miles of often challenging terrain under it with really no complaints). The comfort in the cab (heated seats though cloth are amazing to me) and of course the sound of the HEMI and dual exhaust.

I'm only halfway through my first tank of gas but I'm hoping that on average I'll see better mileage, the 8 speed was a selling point for me. So far I've driven mostly uphill and into the wind so I know it's not a great sample size.

I've had 3 black vehicles so this is an adjustment being white. I'm thinking at some point adding a graphic on the hood or a stripe to give it some personality as well as a tonneau cover.

To summarize I was able to get out of my old truck (that I had a horrible loan on) and get into a vehicle that I will be more happy with going ahead thanks to some rebates and a couple of 'get out of my chair moments' including with the finance guy who spring a payment of about $40 more biweekly at me at the last moment (because of bank stuff). Amazing what the dealer will do when you say you're willing to pull your plate off the new vehicle and put them back on the old and drive away...

As I've found my bottle of bourbon I'd planned on dropping some pictures in the thread but it doesn't want to work for me I'll update later I promise

And here's that build sheet (sorry for the formatting):

Vehicle Description 2017 RAM 1500 SLT 4X4 Monotone Paint 160 Amp Alternator 730 Amp Maintenance Free * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System Dash Liner Insulation Floor Tunnel Insulation Instr. Panel Color Keyed Bezel 200 KPH Primary Speedometer Temperature & Compass Gauge Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers Dual Note Electric Horns 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet Power Accessory Delay Power Locks Pwr Front Windows, 1-Touch,Up & Down Front Passenger Seat Belt Alert Vehicle Information Center Incandescent Taillamps Traveler/Mini Trip Computer Halogen Quad Headlamps Automatic Headlamps Cargo and CHMSL Lamp Bright Rear Bumper Body Color Upper Fascia Bright Front Bumper Front License Plate Bracket Front Wheel Spats Ram's Head Badge Rear Wheel Well Liners Body Color/Chrome Door Handles B-Pillar Black out Rear Wheel Spats 2 03/09/18 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Ram 1500 Badge SLT Badge 4X4 Badge Front Bumper Sight Shields 26 Gallon Fuel Tank Engine Block Heater Speed Control Bright White Clear Coat 6 Speakers Power Rack and Pinion Steering Front Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers Rear Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers Front Stabilizer Bar Rear Stabilizer Bar Tilt Steering Column Tire Carrier Winch 17" Steel Spare Wheel Non Adjustable Pedals Pickup Box R1234YF A/C Refrigerant 7 Pin Wiring Harness Trailer Tow w/4-Pin Connector Wiring Locking Tailgate Body Color Fuel Filler Door Seat Parts Module Instrument Panel Parts Module Door Parts Module Front End Parts Module Tire & Wheel Parts Module 3 03/09/18 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Build To Canada Mkt. Specifications Canada Dealer Retail Zone 25-Canada-Alberta Crew Cab DS/6322 Vehicle Family Four Wheel Drive (4WD)/(4X4) 2017 Vehicle Specifications Price Class H - SLT 5 FT. Cargo Box 1500 Series Vehicle Order Tracking Canada Specifications Label Alberta Province Code Canada Country Code Premium Cloth Bucket Seats Black/Diesel Gray Luxury Group Protection Group Heated Seats and Wheel Group Trailer Tow Mirrors & Brake Group Remote Start & Security Alarm Group SLT Plus Decor Group Bucket Seats Supp. Side Curtain Frt/Rr Air Bags Heated Front Seats Rear 60/40 Split Folding Seat Full Length Upgraded Floor Console OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT 4 03/09/18 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Folding Flat Load Floor Storage Overhead Console w/Garage Dr Opener Rotary Shifter-Black All Automatic Transmissions 8-Spd Auto 8HP70 Trans (Buy-US) 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors Rear View Auto Dim Mirror Power Black Trailer Tow Mirrors All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors Air Cond ATC w/Dual Zone Control Electroluminescent Instr Cluster 115V Auxiliary Power Outlet NAV-Capable! See Dealer for Details GPS Antenna Input Power Lumbar Adjust Power 10-Way Driver Seat Glove Box Lamp Underhood Lamp Ext. Mirrors w/Supplemental Signals Exterior Mirrors Courtesy Lamps Trailer Tow Mirrors Black Exterior Mirrors Rear Dome w/On/Off Switch Lamp Daytime Running Headlamps, High Beam Fog Lamps LED Bed Lighting Security Alarm 5 03/09/18 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Active Grille Shutters Bright/Bright Billets Grille Hemi Badge 50 State Emissions Dual Rear Exhaust w/Bright Tips Heavy Duty Transmission Oil Cooler Engine Oil Heat Exchanger Exterior Mirrors w/Heating Element Electronically Controlled Throttle Heated Steering Wheel Heavy Duty Engine Cooling Next Generation Engine Controller Bright White Clear Coat All Radio Equipped Vehicles Uconnect 3C with 8.4" Display Fixed Long Mast Antenna Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Ctrls 8.4" Touchscreen Display SiriusXM Satellite Radio Audio Jack Input for Mobile Devices Remote USB Port Remote USB Port - Charge Only Media Hub (USB, Aux) All VP3 Radios Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel Full Size Temporary Use Spare Tire P275/60R20 BSW All Season Tires Bridgestone Brand Tires 20X8.0 Aluminum Wheels 6 03/09/18 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * All Aluminum Wheels Center Hub ParkView Rear Back-up Camera Remote Start System Tip Start Tow Hooks Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield Front Suspension Skid Plate Class IV Receiver Hitch Universal Garage Door Opener Tire Pressure Monitoring Display Trailer Brake Control English/USA Language Integrated Voice Command w/Bluetooth Humidity Sensor Electronic Shift For More Info, Call 888-539-7474 1-Yr. SiriusXM Radio Service 4.5 Additional Gallons of Gas Spring - Left Rear Spring - Left Front Spring - Right Rear Spring - Right Front GVW Rating - 6900# Customer Preferred Package 2TG Customer Preferred Package 26G

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took you long enough to buy a truck with some grunt!

As well we can not forgive the Aztek

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Congrats...great story and one sharp truck. I'm sure you'll be happy. The Hemi/8-Speed combo is amazing. I love it myself.

OP
OP
C

Can Water Geo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well went for an afternoon cruise and decided to see how the HEMI was if I let it loose. I was on a side road out of town and jumped on it. I chickened out after I hit 170 km/hr (about 110 mph). Damn thing is a rocket sled compared to the 5.3’s I’ve been driving until now! This always topped out about 100mph with lesser acceleration.

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
I have a speed limiter at around 170km/h

Dustin Steffey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everyone, I've been lurking here a few weeks getting a feel for how people like their 4th gen RAMs as I've been thinking (and 1 week ago) took the plunge into my first 1500.

As a bit of background I've driven GM products since I was 16. (Firefly, Sprint, Firefly, S-10, Aztek (yes and it was yellow), '05 Silverado, (4.8L 4x4 eztended cab) '11 Sierra (4x4 crew cab), and '14 Silverado (Z71 4x4 crew cab). As full disclosure my dad used to work for a contractor to GM so it was kind of assumed us kids would all drive GM's.

Anyways (since starting this post I've talked with my dad and he's only dissapointed that I didn't pay off my previous vehicle before trading) I chose the RAM because I really liked the interior and way it rode. Ford trucks were just not something I was drawn to, Tundras I wasn't interested in because I drove one a few years ago and hated the ergonomics in the cab and I've heard some bad things about the Titan line.

My dealer process included a few weeks ago taking a 2017 Bighorn on a test drive from the local dealership, they appraised my 2014 chev and gave me an initial number as well as payments. This was higher than I thought I would be happy with so decided to let the matter rest for the time being. As February ended and March started I looked at the Ram Canada website and noticed that there were better incentives out there on '17s. During a business trip to a nearby city (Grande Prairie) driving the company truck (A Honda Ridgeline...) I stopped at a dealership with some numbers in my head, pictures of my VIN and truck as well as giving them info on what my previous appraisal and payment budget were. Based on that I thought I'd see what they thought and mayber take a test drive.

Long story short I drove this white 2017 SLT crew cab with a hemi and the 8 speed and was certainly impressed. The first truck I tired was a Bighorn but almost identiacally appointed. As far as I can tell the differences were the unit I ended up buying lacked nav, folding mirrors and running boards. The colour (white) was even the same. Though looking at my pictures of the first test drive I don't think the Bighorn had a built in trailer brake controller.

I'll paste the build sheet (found on the net) in detail later but here's the quick summary of options that are on my unit that I bought:

-SLT
-white
-4x4
-Hemi
-heated buckets
-heated wheel
-3.92 gears
-20" rims
-5'7" box
-box lighting
-dealer applied undercoat and mudflaps
-5 yr / 100k warranty including up to 15 oil changes and tire rotations at any dealership in Canada
-8.4 inch Uconnect (though us Canadians really don't get the benefit of the service)
-towing package

I'll stop there the rest of the info from the webiste is below (sorry for the formatting lol).

Since buying I'm really impressed with the firmness of the vehicle (though to be fair the old chev had 100,000 km or 60,000 miles of often challenging terrain under it with really no complaints). The comfort in the cab (heated seats though cloth are amazing to me) and of course the sound of the HEMI and dual exhaust.

I'm only halfway through my first tank of gas but I'm hoping that on average I'll see better mileage, the 8 speed was a selling point for me. So far I've driven mostly uphill and into the wind so I know it's not a great sample size.

I've had 3 black vehicles so this is an adjustment being white. I'm thinking at some point adding a graphic on the hood or a stripe to give it some personality as well as a tonneau cover.

To summarize I was able to get out of my old truck (that I had a horrible loan on) and get into a vehicle that I will be more happy with going ahead thanks to some rebates and a couple of 'get out of my chair moments' including with the finance guy who spring a payment of about $40 more biweekly at me at the last moment (because of bank stuff). Amazing what the dealer will do when you say you're willing to pull your plate off the new vehicle and put them back on the old and drive away...

As I've found my bottle of bourbon I'd planned on dropping some pictures in the thread but it doesn't want to work for me I'll update later I promise

And here's that build sheet (sorry for the formatting):

Vehicle Description 2017 RAM 1500 SLT 4X4 Monotone Paint 160 Amp Alternator 730 Amp Maintenance Free * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System Dash Liner Insulation Floor Tunnel Insulation Instr. Panel Color Keyed Bezel 200 KPH Primary Speedometer Temperature & Compass Gauge Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers Dual Note Electric Horns 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet Power Accessory Delay Power Locks Pwr Front Windows, 1-Touch,Up & Down Front Passenger Seat Belt Alert Vehicle Information Center Incandescent Taillamps Traveler/Mini Trip Computer Halogen Quad Headlamps Automatic Headlamps Cargo and CHMSL Lamp Bright Rear Bumper Body Color Upper Fascia Bright Front Bumper Front License Plate Bracket Front Wheel Spats Ram's Head Badge Rear Wheel Well Liners Body Color/Chrome Door Handles B-Pillar Black out Rear Wheel Spats 2 03/09/18 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Ram 1500 Badge SLT Badge 4X4 Badge Front Bumper Sight Shields 26 Gallon Fuel Tank Engine Block Heater Speed Control Bright White Clear Coat 6 Speakers Power Rack and Pinion Steering Front Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers Rear Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers Front Stabilizer Bar Rear Stabilizer Bar Tilt Steering Column Tire Carrier Winch 17" Steel Spare Wheel Non Adjustable Pedals Pickup Box R1234YF A/C Refrigerant 7 Pin Wiring Harness Trailer Tow w/4-Pin Connector Wiring Locking Tailgate Body Color Fuel Filler Door Seat Parts Module Instrument Panel Parts Module Door Parts Module Front End Parts Module Tire & Wheel Parts Module 3 03/09/18 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Build To Canada Mkt. Specifications Canada Dealer Retail Zone 25-Canada-Alberta Crew Cab DS/6322 Vehicle Family Four Wheel Drive (4WD)/(4X4) 2017 Vehicle Specifications Price Class H - SLT 5 FT. Cargo Box 1500 Series Vehicle Order Tracking Canada Specifications Label Alberta Province Code Canada Country Code Premium Cloth Bucket Seats Black/Diesel Gray Luxury Group Protection Group Heated Seats and Wheel Group Trailer Tow Mirrors & Brake Group Remote Start & Security Alarm Group SLT Plus Decor Group Bucket Seats Supp. Side Curtain Frt/Rr Air Bags Heated Front Seats Rear 60/40 Split Folding Seat Full Length Upgraded Floor Console OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT 4 03/09/18 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Folding Flat Load Floor Storage Overhead Console w/Garage Dr Opener Rotary Shifter-Black All Automatic Transmissions 8-Spd Auto 8HP70 Trans (Buy-US) 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors Rear View Auto Dim Mirror Power Black Trailer Tow Mirrors All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors Air Cond ATC w/Dual Zone Control Electroluminescent Instr Cluster 115V Auxiliary Power Outlet NAV-Capable! See Dealer for Details GPS Antenna Input Power Lumbar Adjust Power 10-Way Driver Seat Glove Box Lamp Underhood Lamp Ext. Mirrors w/Supplemental Signals Exterior Mirrors Courtesy Lamps Trailer Tow Mirrors Black Exterior Mirrors Rear Dome w/On/Off Switch Lamp Daytime Running Headlamps, High Beam Fog Lamps LED Bed Lighting Security Alarm 5 03/09/18 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Active Grille Shutters Bright/Bright Billets Grille Hemi Badge 50 State Emissions Dual Rear Exhaust w/Bright Tips Heavy Duty Transmission Oil Cooler Engine Oil Heat Exchanger Exterior Mirrors w/Heating Element Electronically Controlled Throttle Heated Steering Wheel Heavy Duty Engine Cooling Next Generation Engine Controller Bright White Clear Coat All Radio Equipped Vehicles Uconnect 3C with 8.4" Display Fixed Long Mast Antenna Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Ctrls 8.4" Touchscreen Display SiriusXM Satellite Radio Audio Jack Input for Mobile Devices Remote USB Port Remote USB Port - Charge Only Media Hub (USB, Aux) All VP3 Radios Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel Full Size Temporary Use Spare Tire P275/60R20 BSW All Season Tires Bridgestone Brand Tires 20X8.0 Aluminum Wheels 6 03/09/18 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * All Aluminum Wheels Center Hub ParkView Rear Back-up Camera Remote Start System Tip Start Tow Hooks Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield Front Suspension Skid Plate Class IV Receiver Hitch Universal Garage Door Opener Tire Pressure Monitoring Display Trailer Brake Control English/USA Language Integrated Voice Command w/Bluetooth Humidity Sensor Electronic Shift For More Info, Call 888-539-7474 1-Yr. SiriusXM Radio Service 4.5 Additional Gallons of Gas Spring - Left Rear Spring - Left Front Spring - Right Rear Spring - Right Front GVW Rating - 6900# Customer Preferred Package 2TG Customer Preferred Package 26G

Congrats and welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk