GM & Ford Turn Ram's Tailgate Longhorn Upside-down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You really don't understand what the term "brand" means, do you?

Ford is a brand
Chevrolet is a brand
GMC is a brand
RAM is a brand
Nissan is a brand
Toyota is a brand
etc.

Your analogy is ridiculous at best (and I'll stop there so as not to violate any group rules)...

By your measure - the Ford F-150 XL competes with the XLT, which competes with the King Ranch and the Harley Davison model ... No those are TRIM levels within the same BRAND.

There is a reason that sales figures are reported by BRAND, not by manufacturer. There was a time when Chrysler Corp manufactured the lighter trucks for Sterling Trucks. The only difference was badging and the grill. Those trucks were NEVER counted towards Chrysler/Dodge truck sales figures.

For a time, GM manufactured Isuzu-branded compact trucks (they were literally an S-10 with Isuzu badges). Those were never counted in Chevrolet or GMC sales figures.

Please, if you are going to try to argue, have facts and reason on your side.

You missed the point completely. You said: "Chevy and GMC are actually competing models". Of course they compete, every model competes with every other model, regardless of brand. And yes, the F150 Xl DOES compete with the XLT; think about it, you buy one or the other. Competition with your own product is a very well understood problem in business. But it's completely irrelevant to this discussion.

The argument being made (and it's not my argument, it's been said for years by many different people/journalists/fans, I happen to agree with it): You need to combine Chevy and GMC sales together. Because the differences between them, are so insignificant its like they are just different trims in the same brand. It's the same company (GM) that makes them. They share 99% identical parts.

Of course S-10 was never counted with Isuzu, just like GMC is not counted now with Chevy. It's perfectly normal to report by brand. The argument is not about the reporting (separating by brand), just the claims/conclusions made FROM the reports.

Ford makes the claim: "Ford is America's best selling truck". YET, they combine F150, F250, F350 etc. What truck, exactly, is the best selling truck there? They are report ALL sales across their entire brand/business. They do that despite huge differences in models (F150 shares very little with F350). If they can do that to fudge the numbers and make the claim "Ford is America's best selling truck", then GM can certainly do the same and say "Actually no, GM sells more trucks than Ford". The Chevy and GMC are 99% identical, there are far less differences b/n those trucks. What's good for the goose, is good for the gander.

GM, as an automaker, has the best selling trucks in America. They currently sell more than any other automaker. End of story.

BriamH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The simple truth is, the GM twins are being snapped up at a far faster rate than both Ford and Ram. So like I said, if they actually are ugly, with a worse interior (nobody denies this fact, not even most GM owners), and have supposed drive train issues..... and YET they're the number 1 selling truck, what does that say about the trucks in second/third place, hmmm? You can't have your cake and eat it.[/QUOTE]

False News! Total 2020 full size PU Truck Sales for Ford 897K units vs. 808K for Chevy/GMC combined. Ford won by 11%.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
This thread is making me want to go out and buy a Mitsubishi Raider, and my wife a Dodge Raider. Two of the best looking vehicles ever made

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The simple truth is, the GM twins are being snapped up at a far faster rate than both Ford and Ram. So like I said, if they actually are ugly, with a worse interior (nobody denies this fact, not even most GM owners), and have supposed drive train issues..... and YET they're the number 1 selling truck, what does that say about the trucks in second/third place, hmmm? You can't have your cake and eat it.

False News! Total 2020 full size PU Truck Sales for Ford 897K units vs. 808K for Chevy/GMC combined. Ford won by 11%.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect. Ford Sold 787K. GM combined sold 840K.

Source:
https://tfltruck.com/2021/01/2020-sales-report-news/

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
And, apparently the big 3 don't even report monthly sales figures so I have no idea where that site is getting their numbers from.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ford trucks do look good. GM look good at some angles not so good at others. My 2020 RAM looks ok but I make sure I am careful not to park it next to new Fords

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
On a related note- the wife and I saw our first Bronco Sport commercial last night.
" Are they trying to make an ugly Jeep Renegade?" she asked." and WTH is GOAT mode?"
I said " ****** preference would be my guess..."
I'm a huge fan of the original Broncos even the full sized F150 variants but these new ones do nothing for me.
Clearly targeting the wrangler, but doubt it will ever come close in numbers. Who knows though. Ford has a pretty big following and a bronco raptored up could push Chrysler to step up the wrangler performance further. Might be fun.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Opinions are like a$$holes...:emotions34:

The 19+ silverado/sierra are without a doubt the ugliest vehicles to hit the raod since the pontiac aztek... Also included for notable ugly mention;

Chevy Lumina/Pontiac Transport minivans
Oldsmobile Aurora
Buick rendevous

All GM products...coincidence? :shrug:

But then again i'm just an idiot on the internet :hahano::popcorn:

Also honorable mentions:
- the Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser ("That 70s Car" that I drove for 8 years)
- All Ford Edsels

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
By gosh, I see that Toyota Tundra has now also an inverted Ram's Longhorn on their tailgates. Ford, GM, Chevy, ... and now Tundra inverting Rams Longhorn. All this can not be a co-incidence. They don't like Ram's outselling them. And what is it now, Ram, Motor Trend's Truck of the Year, 3 years running?

71WrkvPopfL._SL1340_.jpg

Last edited: