Going to a carb from tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBI GONE

Reaction score
Ram Year
1989 w-150 4x4
Engine
Top of the day!!! Question. 5.9 switching out the tbi, Snooping around Jegs, Summit They are telling me I need a Edelbrock 2176, non egr, great , send me one. receive. Manifold has cross over water jackets up front how ever the rear don't, The heads, and the old manifold had water jackets/ports front and back, the new manifold only has the front cross overs, Edelbrock customer service is closed. Anyone have any ideas? thanks, have 1406 Edelbrock carb and a coil pack distributor, throttle and kick down cable they all look like they will work. Thanks.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
summit has a 360 view of the manifold. it shows only front ports.

since you're going non EGR and using the 1406 carb, have you considered the Edelbrock Air Gap 7576? a bit more power for engines below 6-7000 rpm.

it also only has front coolant port.

OP
OP
T

TBI GONE

Reaction score
Ram Year
1989 w-150 4x4
Engine
Reek, Yes I did. Truck is straight as a arrow, as expected motor is tiiiiiiiiired. After a bit of reading I went with the 2176 because I believe it goes up to 5/6, once I get this thing going, the motor will be gone through and the purpose of the truck will be a back dirt road cruiser, geared down for winter driving I live 8 miles from the highway on a dirt road, winter was light this year, last year we had 5 ft. of standing snow.

As for the single water ports, found out that is a two fold deal.

1. The factory could make one set of heads that would work on either side, makes sense.

2. Smog crap, warm this up etc.

Some people put a cross over via tap to a void air pocket lock, some say those re cylinders tend to run hot, detonation issues etc. Time will tell. Thanks.