Going to paint my Engine Cover, how to take it off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
jack67

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure what you are talking about: Your Engine Cover, prior to painting or Your Engine Bay.

My Favorite De-greaser is Dawn soap, liberally applied to cold engine bay.
Let sit, then wash off..
You covered the engine cover excellent in another post. My question was for the engine and bay, which you just answered as well.

Thanks!

OP
OP
jack67

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP
OP
jack67

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP
OP
jack67

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yet another question... can I take the engine cover and still drive the truck while I'm painting the engine cover. I want to paint a few coats and let it dry and take my time doing it.

OP
OP
jack67

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like GRide said, lift the front up towards hood a few inchs then pull straight towards you.
Looks much better painted!!!

View attachment 174629
I kept putting off doing this for several months as we bought a house and it was a major move, then fixing the house & landscaping the way we wanted it took months... now I have time to do the engine cover. So last question, they all say to lift the front up then pull straight toward you... but isn't that hose in the way??? Don't I need to take it off first?image_50729729b.jpg

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I kept putting off doing this for several months as we bought a house and it was a major move, then fixing the house & landscaping the way we wanted it took months... now I have time to do the engine cover. So last question, they all say to lift the front up then pull straight toward you... but isn't that hose in the way??? Don't I need to take it off first?View attachment 212860

If you are asking about throttlebody to air box, yes pull it so the cover comes off easier

OP
OP
jack67

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, I found out today. Took it off easy enough.
Everyone in this post (except you) said just lift up and pull forward and it comes out, no mention that you got to pull the throttle body to air box too. Soooooo... I was thinking how in the heck can you get the cover off with that in the way. LOL

OP
OP
jack67

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
here is how I did mine:

https://www.ramforum.com/posts/1260424/

First, I got some of those plastic gloves, not unlike what you see in a doctors office. Skin has oils and those oils will cause paint issues. Fish eyes and the like.

Next, I used a quality paint thinner and a clean linen rag.
Old T-shirts work well.
Then used those, liberally doused with paint thinner, to clean the entire engine cover. Once cleaned, allowed it to dry.

Grabbed a can of plastic adhesive promoter, which can be bought at wal-mart or automotive parts store. (NOTE: Try to stay within the same brand for all your paints. Just makes things a little easier, since they are designed to work together, I do not recommend one, over another.)

Sprayed very light coats, on the well cleaned engine cover, according to directions on the can.

Figured it was far better to lay down the adhesive promoter, LIGHTLY, LIGHTLY, LIGHTLY. And allowing it plenty of time to dry, properly.

I want that STICK, to the engine cover, so my paint can stick, to it.

Once the adhesive promoter was dry. I then did the same with the Primer.
Applying light coats, according to the can itself.

Did more than a few coats of Primer, since I was going to sand this down, to try and smooth out the texture of the engine cover. If you look closely, it has a slightly bumpy surface. I wanted it smooth as a baby's bottom.

After sanding the primer, needed to re-clean the engine cover, as stated above. Then applied final coat of primer.

After that final coat of primer dried, started in on paint.

Now, some guys have gone all out, using lots of colors, some have even done fine artwork. I;m not an Artist and figured two colors was plenty. The color of my truck and good old black, everything matches black.

Masked off & painted the middle section, first.

Once dry, taped it off and painted the sides.
(NOTE: If you are planning on doing two different colors, in your middle section. Say, Gloss black and flat black, this is the time to do second color.)

Once the completed middle section was done and dry, taped it off.

Simply too my time, used good paint tape.

Letters could have been bought, on ebay , as perfect fit stickers but then it is only the top of the letter that has color. I decided to tape off the letters allowing me to get paint on the sides of the letters too.

Once everything was painted, clear coat everything.
I used four coats of paint, followed by four coats of clear.

Just take your time, sand between costs to remove the bumpiness of the material and provide smooth look and feel.

make sure to clean , just prior to painting, with paint thinner and old Tshirt
Reposting the above... great info that I'm doin today... it may help someone else down the road.

OP
OP
jack67

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last edited:
OP
OP
jack67

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gonna do a repost... the software here wouldn't let me change one of my five pics even though I tried deleting it... so new post next. Moderator can delete this one.

Last edited:

mrOAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow, the red really pops! Nice work. Bookmarking this thread for future reference :waytogo: