Going to test drive a 2015 Big Horn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Longtime lurker here. So as the title says, I'm looking at a 2015 Big Horn to go and test drive. It's a quad cab, 4x2, hemi, 8 speed, 3.21 rear with almost 54,000 miles for almost $23,000. I currently own a 2010 quad cab ram with 178xxx 4.7l. What do you guys look for when buying a ram? My current ram is my first one and I have personally put about 74,000 miles on it. It's been solid. Other than a water pump going out and changing the spark plugs, she's been a really good truck. Any surprises I should look for when I test it out? What about the price? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Here's a link to it.

https://www.olivasautocenter.com/2015-RAM-1500/Used-Truck/Liberal-KS/11071397/Details.aspx

Last edited:

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Longtime lurker here. So as the title says, I'm looking at a 2015 Big Horn to go and test drive. It's a quad cab, 4x2, hemi, 8 speed, 3.21 rear with almost 54,000 miles for almost $23,000. I currently own a 2010 quad cab ram with 178xxx 4.7l. What do you guys look for when buying a ram? My current ram is my first one and I have personally put about 74,000 miles on it. It's been solid. Other than a water pump going out and changing the spark plugs, she's been a really good truck. Any surprises I should look for when I test it out? What about the price? Thanks in advance.

Have a 2015 Big Horn. There a da a lot of considerations, and a lot of differences in the trim lines. I can tell you, you don’t have to rush. Plenty of ‘em out there.

Depending on what you’re looking for, here’s what I would target:

Less than 48K miles and 4 yrs from in service date...making it eligible for LIFETIME MaxCare Warranty. (Don’t purchase from dealer)

Crew Cab, No bench seats, Certified Vehicle, 4wd is more desirable for resale, look to see how much life is left in tires, how the dealer acquired it, if service history is available. Carfax of course. 8.4 radio, tires 17” or 20”. Bed liner, condition of the box, size of the box.

Price seems good, but you’ll have to consider whether there are trim line options that you aren’t getting.

Send a link!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What would be a good price for it? It's not from a chrysler dealership.
Price seems pretty fair to me, maybe a little high if anything. I paid $22,500 for my 2015 with 52k miles. But it's a 4x4 crew cab express, but the same 5.7L with the 8 speed and 3:21 gears.
It seems to me like the jump from express to big horn shouldn't be worth as much as going from a 4x2 quad cab to a 4x4 crew cab. But the market where you are could be different...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Price seems pretty fair to me, maybe a little high if anything. I paid $22,500 for my 2015 with 52k miles. But it's a 4x4 crew cab express, but the same 5.7L with the 8 speed and 3:21 gears.
It seems to me like the jump from express to big horn shouldn't be worth as much as going from a 4x2 quad cab to a 4x4 crew cab. But the market where you are could be different...

It's just like anywhere else. 4x4 are worth quite a bit more. And crew cabs go up also. The difference from Express to big horn is crazy how it jumps, but unfortunately, it is a mid trim level and I believe the demand goes up from there. I'll try to get them down on it because it's been there for a few months

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
What part of the country are you in? If your in an area that gets snow like me! 2x4 trucks aren't worth near as much. I'd be trying to get that for under 20k if it was me

OP
OP
sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What part of the country are you in? If your in an area that gets snow like me! 2x4 trucks aren't worth near as much. I'd be trying to get that for under 20k if it was me
I'm in Kansas. We dont get much to need 4x4 I'm going to see what they're willing to go down to. I guess I'll see how motivated they are to sell it. Lol

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Agree with above ,20000 grand Mac for non 4wd. Does it have limited slip ?

OP
OP
sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Agree with above ,20000 grand Mac for non 4wd. Does it have limited slip ?
Not sure I'd have to look at the build sheet.

Edit. After looking at the build sheet, it says conventional differential. So I'm assuming it doesnt have it.

Last edited:

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not sure I'd have to look at the build sheet.

Edit. After looking at the build sheet, it says conventional differential. So I'm assuming it doesnt have it.
I think it's pretty rare unless it's an outdoorsman or a rebel. Is a limited slip an option you can add to any truck?

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
I always thought the big horn came with the 8.4 radio,is the slt not one slightly below trim level?My bud has the big horn and it has the 8.4 radio and he has zero mods.

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
For what it’s worth I bought a 16 bighorn v6 crew cab with 8.4 and 3.21 with 12k miles two months ago for 23.3. I’m in Louisiana.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
For what it’s worth I bought a 16 bighorn v6 crew cab with 8.4 and 3.21 with 12k miles two months ago for 23.3. I’m in Louisiana.
2x 0r 4x4? The OP is looking at a 2x truck. I would not personally buy a 2x truck no matter how good the deal is. If i we're to ever consider a 2x truck a limited slip rear would be a must. You can have one installed but expect to pay 1500 or so parts and labor. You could change the ring and pinion to something more performance oriented at that time too if you wanted to. If you get even any snow and i understand you get at least some in Kansas, I'd really consider finding a 4x4 truck. Better to have and not need than need and not have.....plus better resale value...but your call....just my .02.... Good luck

FWIW I bet for 10k more than you'll spend on that truck you could get a brand new 18 4x4 tradesman with full factory warranties and everything and not a 3 going on 4 yr old truck with over 50k miles....just a thought.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it's pretty rare unless it's an outdoorsman or a rebel. Is a limited slip an option you can add to any truck?

I'm sure it is, but not quite a big need for me.

I always thought the big horn came with the 8.4 radio,is the slt not one slightly below trim level?My bud has the big horn and it has the 8.4 radio and he has zero mods.
I think it depended on the options you wanted when it was built. Not all of them got them apparently. It doesnt matter as I would replace the uconnect with an aftermarket stereo. I'd replace all the speakers too with the system I have in my current truck.

I'm sure with a hemi, the price would've been more. The hemi adds around 1.5-2k more on the price.

2x 0r 4x4? The OP is looking at a 2x truck. I would not personally buy a 2x truck no matter how good the deal is. If i we're to ever consider a 2x truck a limited slip rear would be a must. You can have one installed but expect to pay 1500 or so parts and labor. You could change the ring and pinion to something more performance oriented at that time too if you wanted to. If you get even any snow and i understand you get at least some in Kansas, I'd really consider finding a 4x4 truck. Better to have and not need than need and not have.....plus better resale value...but your call....just my .02.... Good luck

FWIW I bet for 10k more than you'll spend on that truck you could get a brand new 18 4x4 tradesman with full factory warranties and everything and not a 3 going on 4 yr old truck with over 50k miles....just a thought.
I'm working on a budget to not get too high on the payment. Especially when the wife is involved with the finances. It sucks but it is what it is. And we have 5 kids to consider also.;) So I have to think about that also.

OP
OP
sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I looked up the value on Edmund's site, and actually this truck is priced under what Edmund's true value is. So idk. Does anyone have any other sites they use to get a true value on their truck?

Edit: I'll post a snap of the Edmund's email and you guys tell me if I'm reading it right.
Screenshot_20180825-084652_Gmail.jpg

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
cargurus.com You'll find the asking price across the country for a particular model. Not selling price but you will have a good idea of the low end asking price.

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I looked up the value on Edmund's site, and actually this truck is priced under what Edmund's true value is. So idk. Does anyone have any other sites they use to get a true value on their truck?

Edit: I'll post a snap of the Edmund's email and you guys tell me if I'm reading it right.
View attachment 138486
I like to use kelly blue book (kbb.com) and the NADA values in addition to Edmunds. Make sure you put in that it's a big horn, it looks like on your screenshot it was doing the values for an SLT. And make sure to put in that it's 2WD because that will affect the price quite a bit too.
I like using all three of those sites and then kind of averaging them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like to use kelly blue book (kbb.com) and the NADA values in addition to Edmunds. Make sure you put in that it's a big horn, it looks like on your screenshot it was doing the values for an SLT.
I like using all three and then kind of averaging them.
It technically is an slt. The big horn is a trim package which you can add all those options when getting a quote.:)

OP
OP
sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
cargurus.com You'll find the asking price across the country for a particular model. Not selling price but you will have a good idea of the low end asking price.
I use them as well.