Good Bilstein installer???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey, guys. I’m in NC midway between Asheville and Greenville/Spartanburg, SC. I’m looking to find an installer for Bilstein 5100’s that has done them before and really knows how to install them. I’ve talked to a few shops already and I’m getting the ‘Nipper’ look from most guys. I know the washer placement is critical and if done wrong you find out the hard way down the line. Anybody with a decent garage who knows what they’re doing? I’m willing to get under the truck myself but I live on a mountain with a dirt road as my service bay. Thanks for any ideas...Ed

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nothing hard about them. The washer just goes on first, nothing trick there either.

I will say this, the Bilstein 5100 strut has a much much smaller diameter rod than my stock struts did.
I also do not think they handle as well as my stock ones did.

The only reason I put them on was to lower my front a bit - I am seriously considering other options now. Even with them on, the front still sits at almost 36.5-37" high.
I was hoping to drop to a bit under 36".

OP
OP
Ed F

Ed F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nothing hard about them. The washer just goes on first, nothing trick there either.

I will say this, the Bilstein 5100 strut has a much much smaller diameter rod than my stock struts did.
I also do not think they handle as well as my stock ones did.

The only reason I put them on was to lower my front a bit - I am seriously considering other options now. Even with them on, the front still sits at almost 36.5-37" high.
I was hoping to drop to a bit under 36".

Paco, you’re the first guy I’ve heard that put the 5100’s on to lower his truck. How did that work?

OP
OP
Ed F

Ed F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Paco, you’re the first guy I’ve heard that put the 5100’s on to lower his truck. How did that work?

Paco, do you still have your stock struts around? I’m curious what the rod diameter is on those.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL not as much as I had hoped, is did drop it a bit but I was hoping for more.
Ground to fender was over 37" stock, I think 37.5 if I remember correctly.

Yes I do have the stock shocks, I can try to measure the diameter tomorrow if I don't get beat up too much at work.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My stock front strut rod diameter is 0.630" thick.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is what I was thinking going by memory.
I know I could see the rod bend and flex while installing the spring - with the spring compressors I used.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mind you, I have an Outdoorsman and the strut part numbers are not listed anywhere that I could find.
I do not know if they are a heavy duty option or just a standard issue part.

OP
OP
Ed F

Ed F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is what I was thinking going by memory.
I know I could see the rod bend and flex while installing the spring - with the spring compressors I used.

That’s scary.

OP
OP
Ed F

Ed F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m starting a 2500 mile round trip this weekend so any truck mods will go on the back burner for a bit. Thanks, Paco..