Good 'ol wind noise - windshield and doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone,
I have read through numerous search results but am having trouble finding specifically... A way to adapt 4th gen windshield trim to a 3rd gen to cut down on cross-wind noise on the windshield and doors. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Never heard of this but I'm intrigued

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm STILL getting wind noise in the cabin of my 2016 1500 BH Crew... and finally found out where it's coming from. It's the Window-Glass Seal Run, part number 55112367AF according to Mopar diagrams. Has anyone replaced this part for wind noise??

I see Mopar has replaced the AF P/N with an AI or AG, likely due to failures causing the wind noise and proper seal... but yet there's no TSB to have this done for owners?!? ****** me off.

Trying to find it cheaper than $88.xx on most OEM Mopar websites... if anyone has any info on this, please let me know. It's been driving me nuts for 3+ months!

Thanks in advance.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey everyone,
I have read through numerous search results but am having trouble finding specifically... A way to adapt 4th gen windshield trim to a 3rd gen to cut down on cross-wind noise on the windshield and doors. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks!
To eliminate wind noise on all of my 3rd Gen Ram's I have filled the door seals on the door side and body side with backer rod foam. The foam rods keep the weatherstrip from collapsing and provide as tight a seal as possible. They work well for me and as long as the weatherstrip doesn't have any tears they seal against the body quite well.

I have some customers that have used soft rubber vacuum hose to put inside the seal. They have used WD-40 to lubricate the seal and the hose to be able to slide the hose into the seal without much resistance.

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks... but that isn't where my noise is coming from. It's from the outer seal that runs along the outside of the window... and specifically, the 7-8" (vertically) right next to the driver's mirror.

I plan to try to remove that piece and put some sort of 'shimming' rubber weatherstrip in between first, and if that doesn't take care of it... then I guess I'll look into the actual part replacement. Heavy hit at $85.00... but I have to fix this.

EDIT: I originally replaced the entire (body side) weather strip... about a month ago, thinking that was it, since it looked almost completely collapsed. That didn't do it. Now I have a $35.00 piece of door seal just sitting around. I took it off, as I had to seriously SLAM the door, and hard for it to close completely...

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Related or perhaps not: On my 2003 SLT QC I replaced the weather stripping that was attached to the front door frames area's, not for wind noise, but simply because it had torn. I think it tore inpart due to the door having frozen to the weather stripping during the winter months a couple times ( I washed the truck routinely during winter months). It was around 2012 when I did the replacement so normal wear and tear may have been part of the issue.

So...I order up the OEM weather stripping. I think it was about $35.00 Canadian Dollars (I think that was the cost?) for the drivers door. Well when I went to install the new stripping, I noticed right off the bat that it was in fact a different style/type/shape weather stripping piece. It ran longer down the "A" pillar area then the original stripping. Although it was different it installed as per original and I think perhaps was an upgrade piece due to a possible design flaw on the original unit which had a tapered leading edge. I was so impressed with both the fit and not to upset with the cost that I ordered up the companion piece for the passenger side front door, because I'm **** that way.

These trim pieces do deform and compress over time as mine had. I know that I kinda cringed when I went to the dealer as I fully expected that cost would be through the roof, but was pleasantly surprised when it was not (at least not to me).

So...check the cost at your fav parts vendor before doing the home baked fixed, if you think new OEM weather stripping would fix you noise issue. You may be surprised how affordable the OEM piece might be.

Secondly: How to perhaps track the leaking weather stripping: Take you truck through the local drive-through car wash. I like the "No-touch" wash about two blocks from my house as I can sit in the truck during the wash cycle. When you pull in , select the "Defrost" setting on you heater selector and turn the fan on to full speed. As the car wash does it's thing and the soap is sprayed...begin to scan the windows and door area's for bubbles on the outside of the vehicle...this may give a clue as to where you wind noise is coming from. You could also do this in one of those do-it-yourself spray-wash wand manual car washes. Just set the heater to control to max fan before you get out to start spraying soap from the hand wand or foam brush. Track the bubble trail again.

HTH,

T.

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies, but to be clear (or clearer)... this is exactly what my issue is:

https://www.torquenews.com/3768/3-ways-quiet-wind-noise-2016-ram-1500

It's the paragraph titled 'Replace the Window Seals'...

I'll be taking a look at it tonight. I think I can find a home-fix for it... so I don't need to drop almost a hundo on a friggin' rubber seal. Sorry, but that's just robbery.

EDIT: I got a tad 'excited' when I saw the part (Mopar 55112367AF - Seal-Glass Run) had been purchased for ~$25.00 or so on Amazon... but only to be fdisappointed by it's unavailability on Amazon. :(

bigdodge

Reaction score
Masking tape on the outside of the door where u think it's coming in is a good way to find the problem area. Just a little trial and error

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Masking tape on the outside of the door where u think it's coming in is a good way to find the problem area. Just a little trial and error

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Good thought... I can apply some now for the ride home, just need to remember I can't roll the window down then!

Last edited:

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I got it... finally.

So, while I was out at lunch last Friday... I inspected the rubber seal piece that runs along the outer window track, near the drivers mirror. I was able to 'push' it in towards the front of the truck about 1/4" along the full length (7-8"). How it got loose... who knows.

20190927_121041.jpg 20190927_150822.jpg

I also took the suggestion from 'Bigdodge' and put a couple of pieces of tape over the full length (didn't need 2, but the masking tape I put on was short... so I went over it with clear tape). Whadya know??? No wind noise on the way home! YAY! I drove it again to pick up my son... but took the tape off before doing so, and NO MORE NOISE! So, I guess re-seating it did the trick. I don't even know how the noise was occurring, but I know there's turbulent air in and around the mirrors... you can see the pattern of water droplets disperse while driving.

Anyways, just thought I'd share to help prevent further frustrations for others. No need to buy replacement parts either! :)

Take care.