good story ending, Lifetime Factory Unlimited Milage Warranty is GOLD in the bank.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
To those that say Jasper is problematic , budget,

You mean Jasper says Jasper rebuilds are better than alternatives. Well, I'm completely shocked.

A rebuild is only as good as the technician doing the build and Jasper is a large manufacturer making their money on volume. You have no idea which tech rebuilt your unit, and if it's his first or five hundredth. You've got no one to look in the eye who has a local reputation they want to keep if it goes bad.

It's called Jasper because it's based out of Jasper, IN. I lived and worked in that area for many years, and at the time in my life when my budget was for older vehicles that I frequently worked on, or had others worked on, in that area. I've been aware of them long before the internet was a thing or they had nationwide distribution. I wouldn't put one of their products in my vehicle that I intended to keep, but on someone else's dime I'd be willing to have one put in long enough to sell it. At least you still have a real warranty, so if it craps out again you'll get to try again without paying labor to swap it out.

OP
OP
R

r56ranch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Docwagon

Thanks so much for your helpful comments.

What would you Do in my situation?

Everything negative you said about Jasper applies to any transmission I have the option to get. It may get built by a seasoned pro or a rookie. Whatever I get will be a remanufactured 66rfe per my RAM Care Case Manager. They do not send new from factory 66rfe transmissions to dealers for warranty. The 66rfe is not in production.

My options are:

1. Continue to wait for RAM to send a transmission from their current re - manufacture Vendor to my Dealer in Ft Worth. That vendor is currently over 100 units backlogged due to un availability of cores. I have not been able to find out what company that is, if they re-man to exact OEM specs or attempt to improve on OEM.

2. Accept the offer to get a Jasper Re-man transmission that according to Jasper, has been improved upon as in the post above. They are currently 6 weeks out to deliver if I choose that option. That transmission will be covered by my Life Unlimited and I will not ever deal with Jasper. I deal with a RAM Dealer just as I do now. My Dealer Service Manager sought after that solution and got approval from RAM for the Jasper deal.

RAM is not going to approve getting a first class killer transmission from whoever you believe is the best.

My best friend owns a large commercial construction company that has a fleet of over 100 Chevy HD trucks. He has used Jasper many times for engines and transmissions. His 2500 gas truck transmissions typically are good for 140,000 miles and a re built Jasper usually beats that considerably. He says Ford is better but the Fleet deal he gets makes Chevy a better business decision.

Is is unreasonable to believe that a Jasper 66rfe with the stated improvements is just as likely to be as good as one from an unknown Vendor? If Jasper's does indeed improve on the 66rfe it may be better. Who knows? Do you?

Thanks for your expert opinions.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Docwagon

Thanks so much for your helpful comments.

What would you Do in my situation?

Everything negative you said about Jasper applies to any transmission I have the option to get. It may get built by a seasoned pro or a rookie.

I think you'll get the Jasper regardless of what I say, and it's not my truck so do as you will. After nearly a year of waiting, and dealing with the RAM dealer, it's not going to be *more* broken then it is now.

I don't buy extended warranties, though, with the one exception of the lifetime warranty on the 2012 when I bought it. Your situation is one reason. People often cite "peace of mind" as a reason to buy one, but there's no better peace of mind than your own money and making your own decisions. When you pay someone else to assume your risk you put yourself in their hands.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
You have done your due diligence, RAM is going to warranty the repair and will warranty the Jasper going forward. There’s no better option on the table, so no reason not to proceed.

I certainly wouldn’t buy something else on my own dime, even if I believed it was some upgraded performance transmission.

OP
OP
R

r56ranch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you'll get the Jasper regardless of what I say, and it's not my truck so do as you will. After nearly a year of waiting, and dealing with the RAM dealer, it's not going to be *more* broken then it is now.

I don't buy extended warranties, though, with the one exception of the lifetime warranty on the 2012 when I bought it. Your situation is one reason. People often cite "peace of mind" as a reason to buy one, but there's no better peace of mind than your own money and making your own decisions. When you pay someone else to assume your risk you put yourself in their hands.
OK , You were very helpful again.

Thanks for your service. I'm retired USMC Vietnam Vet.

We have purchased exactly the same number of warranties, but your not happy with your decision and I am.

And dang, I'm sorry you have suffered from having no peace of mind , let others make decisions for you and put yourself in their hands. I hope you learned from your mistake.

That is not the case with me. I have peace of mind, and don't allow others to make decisions for me. It will be my decision to either get a Jasper or continue waiting for the OEM. That is why I asked "what would you do" That is getting other's feedback, not given someone power over me. Do you comprehend the difference?

I had the radio screen replaced for $100 deductible, would have been quite expensive. If I did not have the lifetime I would be having to pay a few grand to get the tranny fixed. I'm in a loan truck I've put over 14,000 miles on. Its not a big deal, I have a 1 ton ranch truck if I need to tow something other than my Bass Boat. I plan to drive the PW for as long as I can drive and then give it to my son.

I have peace of mind that it will always be under warranty.

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
We have purchased exactly the same number of warranties, but your not happy with your decision and I am.

Are you? Quotes from you earlier in the thread:
I miss my PW and the 2WD 1500 is serving me well and saving some fuel costs.

this truck rides like a pogo stick and really really sucks.

I miss the Wagon.

"You like this truck don't you". My Reply "If it had 4 wheel drive, 6" more ground clearance, and a lifetime warranty, it would be OK I recon" She said "yeah but in 40 years and a dozen trucks, I've never seen you LOVE LOVE LOVE any truck till you got the Power Wagon"

I bought a Power Wagon to drive a Power Wagon. Sounds like you did to, but you aren't driving yours.

I had something similar when I bought my last Grand Cherokee. They gave me an effin Kia van until I complained I bought an SUV, give me an SUV, and at least got an Xterra until they lemoned out the Grand Cherokee. That experience played heavily into my purchasing the lifetime warranty because my trust of Chrysler was rather...blemished at that point. I think you've misread me, I'm glad I got the lifetime, but there's still no better peace of mind than knowing you have the money and can make your own decisions. Many people here encourage themselves and others to buy more than they can afford and then rely on "peace of mind" from warranties in case of loss. And then they screw themselves when their warranty claim is denied. I bought the lifetime full well knowing it was unlikely to pay off (I worked in the warranty administration business for about 3 years and hated it, it's sad seeing how many people get screwed by these companies and I wanted no part of it) but I also knew I would keep the truck longer. I've needed one repair, a $350 coil pack. That's over 11 years. My son has the truck now, so maybe it'll "pay off" in the future, but either way he's driving it with no need to put that money in an emergency fund if he drops a tranny or whatever. At his stage in life, thats a boost. At mine, it's irrelevant.

Good luck with your Jasper.

OP
OP
R

r56ranch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Back in late March I got my PW back. The Jasper transmission shifts better than the stock transmission did when it was new. The shifts are crisper. According to Jasper, they make several durability and reliability improvements to the OEM transmission. I contacted Jasper when the dealer told me they were going that route. I have the email Jasper sent me somewhere if anyone is interested. My lifetime unlimited warranty covers the Jasper. Just take to any dealer. No dealing with Jasper. RAM Care gave me a 12 oil change/tire rotation service contract and a Select cosmetic repair contract which covers minor scratches, paintless dent repair, and a couple other things I can't remember. Both good for 6 years or until I use up the 12 oil changes for that contract.

I ended up putting about 16,000 miles on a RAM 2WD 1500 loaner. I wasn't happy with it taking 11 months but it could have been a lot worse as the Lifetime only covers first 3 days of a rental but RAM picked up the tab for 11 months. The 2 service contracts are a nice gesture from RAM Care.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I still can't believe this was really a thing and I hate myself for missing out on it.