Goodyear Duratrac VS General Grabber AT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperHeroHype

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wanted to get some opinions here before I moved forward with some new tires. I currently have a great discount with USAA over at Goodyear (25% off tires) and thought the Duratracs would be a great bargain with that discount. However, I am wondering if I might be better off with the Grabber’s due to the wet environment down here in Alabama. Seems like the GY’s may not be the best in rain, which we get a lot of here. Can any of you offer a little advice on which would be the better fit for where I live. I do go off road about half the time I drive (I have a work car for daily commute) which is why I was looking for a good all terrain tire. I’ve had BFG’s in the past but they never seemed to last. I’m running stock 275/60x20 on stock rims and don’t plan on going any bigger for now. Any help would be appreciated!

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have never had "Grabber's" so I don't know anything about their traction. I have the Goodyear Duratraca, one size larger, LT275/65R20 on my truck and very happy with them on wet roads, and snow. Traction does not seem to be an issue. With the prices of tires today, and you can get a 25% discount, I know which way I would go.

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have no experience with general grabbers, but have run many different tires on the rigs I've had over the years. I've come back to Duratracs several times now. Going on my third set on our 2010 JKUR and have a set, stock size on my Pickup. When I get 35's or 37's for this rig, they're probably gonna be Duratracs. Although I do like to try new tires.

Last edited:

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i agree if you can get a true 25% off buy the duratracs. I don't like my duratracs (oem power wagon 285/70-17) but at 25% off I would like them better :). If money is not an issue then I will always choose Toyos. I run two sets of tires oem on oem wheels and Toyo RT's on AEV wheels and I love the RT's. I have run Toyo AT2, at3, MT and RT and love RT's. Just wish they were so expensive :)

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i agree if you can get a true 25% off buy the duratracs. I don't like my duratracs (oem power wagon 285/70-17) but at 25% off I would like them better :). If money is not an issue then I will always choose Toyos. I run two sets of tires oem on oem wheels and Toyo RT's on AEV wheels and I love the RT's. I have run Toyo AT2, at3, MT and RT and love RT's. Just wish they were so expensive :)
Had Toyo's on wife's 2010 F 150 4 x 4 and I run Falkens on MY 19 RAM. But I am not running like 35's, nothing that aggressive,. Only need added capability when towing liking in a field getting hay.

ADDED: The Goodyears that came with my truck (OEM SRA's ) got removed and sold privately for pocket change. Did not like sliding and spinning on just a damp road. ALL ABOVE IMHO .....

New tire on truck.jpgNew tires left side truck.jpg

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had Toyo's on wife's 2010 F 150 4 x 4 and I run Falkens on MY 19 RAM. But I am not running like 35's, nothing that aggressive,. Only need added capability when towing liking in a field getting hay.

ADDED: The Goodyears that came with my truck (OEM SRA's ) got removed and sold privately for pocket change. Did not like sliding and spinning on just a damp road. ALL ABOVE IMHO .....

View attachment 487734View attachment 487735
I have run Falken at3w as well and great tire but I do a lot of gravel roads and man are they stone throwers. I am embarrassed to list the tires I have ran in the last 5 years people would think I was certifiable. Toyo (at2, at3 and RT), Goodyear, Yokohama, Cooper (AT3 and ST maxx), falken and BFG (KO2 and KM0) and maybe some I am forgetting lol. I have scored some really good deals on new tires and have sold most of my used ones for a good price so it is not as foolish as it seems. I have found near new truck tires sell pretty fast and Tirebuyer.com and DTD have treated me pretty well.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I have 285/70-17 Duratracs and love them! I'm in WI, and they've handled everything I've thrown at them. Wet, mud & snow. I have also never had Grabbers.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Said it on other tire threads, I have tried many tires, for all around AT use. The Duratracs are what I keep going back to. There are better specialty tires like Mud Terrains, Rock tires etc, but I have never found a more competent all round, year round, tire for a HD pickup. There is a reason why they are almost the universal tire of the Oil Patch in Alberta. (Road noise is NOT one of the selection criteria, that is why you have a volume knob on the radio.)

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've ran 3 different sets of general grabbers. All 3 never let me down or wanting more. Great wear, great traction. Easily get 60k+ on a set.

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
...The Goodyears that came with my truck (OEM SRA's ) got removed and sold privately for pocket change. Did not like sliding and spinning on just a damp road. ALL ABOVE IMHO .....
Not all GY created equal. You can't compare stock GY SRA with GY Duratrac. The SRA's are the cheapest crap tires that RAM could find to use as factory option.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You mention USAA so I am assuming you are military. Make sure you look at VCS as well, huge discounts thru there on a lot of brands. Your sig line says AL/CO, you may want to take a look at the Toyo AT III's, they have the 3Peak which will save you some chains on some CO roads.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would look at the all terrain adventure with kevlar by Goodyear.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You mention USAA so I am assuming you are military. Make sure you look at VCS as well, huge discounts thru there on a lot of brands. Your sig line says AL/CO, you may want to take a look at the Toyo AT III's, they have the 3Peak which will save you some chains on some CO roads.
The Duratracs are three peak as well. Required in B.C. and mountain passes as well as some other provinces for winter use.

Last edited:

LemmysDad

Chairman of the bored.
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run Grabber ATX for my winters. They’re E rated so they’re a bit weighty. I love them, best tire I’ve ever run. Third winter and there’s very little tread wear. I’m feeling like I could run them 3 more. That being said, I’m picking up my 22 Rebel tomorrow with Duratracs so I will never know. And I guess I’ll figure out the Duratrac experience.

2021Ram3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Having had both I would pick Duratrac's every time. Much better grip in foul weather and also a great tire for off roading. Only downside to the Duratrac's is going to be much shorter lifespan. About 40,000 is the best I've gotten on them. The Grabbers will last much longer but less grip. The Duratrac's have a much softer compound which makes them great but you'll give up lifespan. And depending on how hard you drive the costs could add up over time. With either tire make sure you run the proper inflation for the weight of your rig. If you have a light rig and run at max psi both tires won't have much grip.

JWehr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had Duratrac and Grabber ATX. I like the Grabber ATX. The Duratrac (in my opinion) do not grip as well. Don't get me wrong, they grip in all conditions great but the Grabber ATX grips better (in my opinion). They are also wearing better than the Duratrac.

Both look beefy.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not all GY created equal. You can't compare stock GY SRA with GY Duratrac. The SRA's are the cheapest crap tires that RAM could find to use as factory option.
Not comparing, just stated a personal experience. Which me thinks a lot of PPL know that the SRA's are really bad. Heck, I got the Falkens from the Dealer: Buy 3, 1 free, works for dis poor BOIRD.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i have grabbers and duracraps.guess which ones i prefer.my duracraps have 1 tire that has a strip of balance weights almost a foot long.from the factory. ram figured that was acceptable.my old ram had new duracraps when i bought it and i had a blowout 100 kilometers out in the middle of nowhere on a mild dirt road.4 plugs and i still couldn't stop the leak.drove 3 hours back to civilization and swapped them for f rated ridge grapplers.i truly hate duratracs.been disappointed with them every time i had them.truck #8 and every flat i've had have been goodyears.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My brother gifted me a set of used duratracs. What pressures do you guys run these at as the shop that out rhem on had them at 35 and when I hit ice on road it almost felt like tire was rolling on itself. I love n Maine of that matters but even 45 psi seems like it would be a better idea then the 40 I got in now.