Goodyear Wrangler MT/R in snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone. Just picked up a set of used Goodyear Wrangler MT/R and wondering if anyone here has ran them before how they do in the winter time. I’ve heard generally mud terrains don’t do the best in snow but just hoping they’ll at least be comparable to a a/t tire. Also has anyone had experience towing with them? I know it’s a load e range tire but the load index rating it more comparable to a load d range.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Snow they will be fine, issue will be hard pack and ice. I always have my heavy lug mud terrains sipped at a tire shop when they are new. It improves tread life and materially improves traction on ice.

OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Snow they will be fine, issue will be hard pack and ice. I always have my heavy lug mud terrains sipped at a tire shop when they are new. It improves tread life and materially improves traction on ice.
So general winter driving you think they will be alright? Just hoping there decent as I have about a 30min drive to work and it’s backroads most of the way there so don’t want to run into any issues.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
So general winter driving you think they will be alright? Just hoping there decent as I have about a 30min drive to work and it’s backroads most of the way there so don’t want to run into any issues.
I would be very surprised if they aren't. I ran mud terrains year round on a number of 4x4s. You can tell from where I live we get at least 6 months of winter driving every year. Back roads, deep snow etc the Mud Terrians were great. Like I said, only issue was ice. Can't sipe a used tire but if you have enough hard pack and ice you could get them studded. If you slow down a bit and are careful on ice I doubt you will even need that.

OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would be very surprised if they aren't. I ran mud terrains year round on a number of 4x4s. You can tell from where I live we get at least 6 months of winter driving every year. Back roads, deep snow etc the Mud Terrians were great. Like I said, only issue was ice. Can't sipe a used tire but if you have enough hard pack and ice you could get them studded. If you slow down a bit and are careful on ice I doubt you will even need that.
Alright great thank you for the input!

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No tire shop around here will stud a used tire, they will sipe them however. They will charge extra clearing any debris.

That tire will do ok in fresh snow but will SUCK on anything packed or plowed down to ice or hard snow.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
No tire shop around here will stud a used tire, they will sipe them however. They will charge extra clearing any debris.

That tire will do ok in fresh snow but will SUCK on anything packed or plowed down to ice or hard snow.
Funny, it is the otehr way round up here. They won't sipe used because of rocks, but they will stud them. Interesting.

OP
OP
D

dkelly3103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

When you say they will suck in hard packed stuff, how will they do in comparison to say an all season tire?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
When you say they will suck in hard packed stuff, how will they do in comparison to say an all season tire?
About the same. The gooyears have a fair amount of siping, a BFG Mudterrain by comparison has almost none and are worse on ice/hard pack.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don't get mud terrains for winter conditions unless you're thinking to run heavy packed snow in the woods often. They will suck for the day to day in wintry conditions. Don't know any MT that doesn't.