Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires - can't go offroad at all?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
I got my first flat with these tires at 1200 miles. Gravel county road pulling a horse trailer. REALLY sucked since we were 35 miles from the nearest cell phone signal and the stock spare is pretty much worthless. I now have a full size regular tire as my spare. I will run these SR tires out, and replace with Firestone Transforce . These have been bomber on our Ford E450 work truck that tops out over 7 tons. In the winter I run siped Cooper Discoverer AT3’s.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got my first flat with these tires at 1200 miles. Gravel county road pulling a horse trailer. REALLY sucked since we were 35 miles from the nearest cell phone signal and the stock spare is pretty much worthless. I now have a full size regular tire as my spare. I will run these SR tires out, and replace with Firestone Transforce . These have been bomber on our Ford E450 work truck that tops out over 7 tons. In the winter I run siped Cooper Discoverer AT3’s.
Your truck didn't come with a full size spare?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are those 35s?

No, 275 65R18's. My truck is stock height, 77" to the top, not lifted. I have no reason to lift truck, stock works for my situation. The tires R pretty decent. I bought from dealer got 4 for the price of 3. And I kept the stock SRA's and sold them on the side., just a saying...

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
This rock was the last I saw of the SRA's. Fortunately they we EOL anyway and I can thank this rock for getting me into my Falken WildPeak AT/3's which I love. If you are doing just dirt road off roading I think they are great. Hard to beat for the price fully installed and lifetime warranty for under $1K. Tires shop had never seen a rock like this puncture a tire before and they had to get a VERY large set of pliers and pull REAL hard to get it out!

Flat_tire.jpg

Flat_Rock.jpg

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
Your truck didn't come with a full size spare?

yes it did, but have you seen the tread/ply on those things? Might be fine if you get a flat in the city a few blocks from a tire shop, but Definitely not made to hold up to any real world road conditions.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yes it did, but have you seen the tread/ply on those things? Might be fine if you get a flat in the city a few blocks from a tire shop, but Definitely not made to hold up to any real world road conditions.
Mine is an SRA just on a black rim, same ply rating as what was on the four corners of the truck when I bought it.

Albeit it's a lower rating than what I put on the truck after I took those off, I'd trust it to get it where I need to go.

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
Mine is an SRA just on a black rim, same ply rating as what was on the four corners of the truck when I bought it.

Albeit it's a lower rating than what I put on the truck after I took those off, I'd trust it to get it where I need to go.

yeah, my factory spare was a Goodyear “temporary use only” 2 ply. Tread equal to a nearly bald tire. Not what I envisioned in a “full size spare”.

95AC26D3-A561-4E66-9E76-00C51020D7CF.jpeg

Octane

Reaction score
The factory gave me a 17" full size temporary spare on a truck with 20" wheels

James S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just get rid of the Goodyear’s or stoc k. I got some Nitto Grapplers, ride like a dream. Not cheap but way better than the Goodyear’s!

3E770C19-5AF9-4AFD-997F-A6373737ACFA.jpeg

clayinfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi - no etorque
My truck came with Bridgestones. What does the Goodyear tire come on?

SOLER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My history with GY. Had WRA's on my '04 Dually. I just happened to be poking around that truck one day, and was peaking between the duals, and the inner tire sidewall was bulging. Looked at the other side, same thing. That was at 2k. At around 10k started having problems with two more tires. Got rid of them quick fast and in a hurry. Got my '15, 1500 Ram, and it came with GY SRAs. Load range C, crappy in snow. White knuckle driving thru Colorado. Got rid of them at around 10k. I got Cooper ATPs with an E load range. My truck now has nearly 90k, and the tires have over half the tread still left. When you look at them you'd think I have 30k on them, but I've actually got almost 80k. Great tires!

I just got my wife a '19 Jeep GC, came with those GY's with the Kevlar. Whole vehicle shaking on the highway. I took it to the dealer, and asked them to check the tire balance. The guy could only get one to balance. So, I went to Discount Tire and got some Cooper AT3's with an E load range. I don't notice the ride being any rougher, and since I deploy a lot, it's peace of mind that my wife has less of a chance having tire problems (10 ply).

JMHO and experience.

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn’t mind driving on the SRAs, but first long drive on a forest service road, and bam instant flat. Luckily wife also hated the stock rims so I upgraded rims and tires, Black Rhinos and Toyo AT IIs

I have to say my truck also has the temporary spare, drove back home 90 miles on that thing with no problems.

4835561D-5D00-484D-A578-E92E273EAADD.jpeg

C6EDF731-9CC6-4A11-BEC1-04FFDEF058F4.jpeg

bereta1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks to all. Looking at Michelin Defender LTX also

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
The factory gave me a 17" full size temporary spare on a truck with 20" wheels

mine too. I picked up a used 20” rim at a junk yard so I could use the exact same tire for my spare as the other 4 on my truck

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There might not be a crappier tire out there than the Good Year SRAs. They are lightweight and many people run through the entire tread life in around 10k miles, which is garbage. I sold the OEM set on my 2018 to a guy when I had only 7k miles on them, and they were over half the way through their tread life, driving only on pavement very gently. I think most people would be hard pressed to not be forced to turn in leases with a new set of tires due to these piles of garbage wearing through tread early.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My SRAs have 10k miles on them. 99% pavement or snow covered roads. I ran them 3-4 lb high pretty much always. I took them off yesterday and was pretty impressed how well they've worn. 10k miles and down to 8.5 to 9/32nds on all 4 from new tire 11/32nds. Then again, they could go downhill fast from there I suppose. And never had a traction issue with them but they would be going into a 3rd winter & I'm about to go on a 20 hour trip so I decided to ditch them now rather than waiting until October. I'm getting 200 bucks towards the replacements from an online ad sale today. I'm happy enough with that & hope he gets a good year out of them anyway. 200ish canadian seems to be the going rate here..or put them in the trash. Lol.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

busa2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got nitto grapplers had those good years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk