Goose Balls - Lever Actuated or Through Hole Mount?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpellegrini

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
(I did try to search on this topic but couldn't find an answer.)

Are there any issues with the OEM-style lever-actuated goose ball hitches?

I had a B&W Turnover Ball on the RAM 2500 I recently traded for a new 3500 dually without the OEM mount. I've never used a lever-locking ball but it just doesn't seem to me to be as robust as the through-pin mechanism like the B&W uses. I currently use an Andersen hitch with my 5th wheel so the ball gets torqued to 50 lbs while weighted down by the trailer. In other words, it's a fair but of pulling force. It seems to me that the only "accidental" way the ball is coming out of the B&W hitch is a shearing failure of the pin or the ball. With the other style I'm curious whether a of the internal mechanisms would allow the ball to pull up through.

I know bright people have designed these things, and I'm sure I'm overthinking this. Hell, the locking Curt goose ball is actually rated higher than the B&W (35K vs 30K).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Copy the post to the 4th Gen towing section, you will get more help. Or At least more views which we lead to more answers.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio