Gooseneck Horse Trailer- Bed Height Clearance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flypony74

Reaction score
I currently have a 2012 F250SD Lariat (diesel, 4x4) and pull a 2018 Hawk 2+1 gooseneck horse trailer. We are strongly considering trading for a 2021 Ram 2500 Laramie (also diesel, 4x4, does not have the auto-level system but does have the performance tuned front and rear shocks) but this will be my first Ram. I am a very experienced horse hauler and am well within specs with this truck based on my fully loaded trailer weight, so that is no issue. My concern is the bed height, as it is noticeably taller than my current Ford. Does anyone pull a late model horse trailer with a late model 2500? Interested to hear experiences relative to bed height clearance, ability to properly level the trailer, etc. Thanks for any feedback you may have!

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I added 4" to my 4 horse trailer height when I ordered it. I think basically all trucks have taller beds these days. Better bring your trailer to the truck to double check. Good luck.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I had on older Featherlight 2 horse gooseneck. Tried putting the axles below the springs to lift it but still not enough bed rail clearance. My new Bison 3 horse LQ is built for newer trucks that have higher bed rails. The man at the trailer place told me the older trailers are just not designed for the newer trucks with higher bed rails. Trying to modify an older trailer is just not economically feasible unless it is a very high end trailer. Extending the gooseneck post to try to get more clearance just makes the trailer ride too nose high putting too much stress on the rear axle. The unlevel floor also causes and uncomfortable ride for the horses.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
We had a Sundowner toy hauler, same as an LQ horse trailer, and had it built with the axles blocked 3", and it worked out perfect.