Got a little power wash happy...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Got a little too close to long trying to remove some berry crap on my flare!
Well it took the paint off dammit!

Are there pros out there that can fill and blend this small section other then painting the whole flare? I dont think touch up will look too good. Do i just go to a regular body shop and ask? I feel like an airbrush guy could do something, like a custom bike painter lol
PXL_20210821_193050089.jpg

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
It looks to me as if you have gone through lacquer, top coat and primer. That’s the black plastic flare, right?
I think if it was me I would do the body shop. You might have loosened some more paint in that area.
good news is white is a good colour to match.
You could paint the flare yourself if you feel confident. Mask and spray cans. Worth a try? About $14 for a can maybe.

OP
OP
Cableman

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It looks to me as if you have gone through lacquer, top coat and primer. That’s the black plastic flare, right?
I think if it was me I would do the body shop. You might have loosened some more paint in that area.
good news is white is a good colour to match.
You could paint the flare yourself if you feel confident. Mask and spray cans. Worth a try? About $14 for a can maybe.
Yeah right down to base lol washing trucks before a hurricane drinking beer!
I wont be home after this storm goes through and my nice clean truck will be covered in green leaf bits but the wifes rdx is tucked away happily in the garage. I shoulda just left mine dirty in the corner...

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would just use a touch up stick on it. It is small and after the first day you will forget about it. just fill it in, probably take 4 or 5 small applications. let it dry between applications.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I worked with a American lad had a Lexus Soarer I believe it was called in his Gramdmas garage in New Orleans. He was stationed in the U.K. with us when Katrina hit. His grandmas house was washed away along with his car. He wasn’t worried about her……..SO all us Brits, taking the mickey which we are good at, kept asking about his Lexus Floater! Not amused, poor lad. Good news is his gran was safe and well.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I made that mistake on a brand new car I had back in 2004. What I thought was a bug on the door molding turned out to be a small paint chip in the plastic side molding that miraculously got bigger and bigger as I tried to wash it off with a power washer. Fortunately it was on the stick on molding and I got even more fortunate when I managed to get the dealer to replace it under warranty. Moral of my story is, don't use a power washer on your vehicle because this is what can happen.

Now with that said, being white, it shouldn't be difficult to use touch up paint and have it look decent. It's on the plastic fender flare so it's not going to rust. More than likely it will cost a few hundred bucks to have it professionally repair or replaced. For the price of the touch up paint it's a lesson learned

etbrown4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
In Most every good size city or town there are small dent and bumper touch up detailers who service used cars for dealers.

Just calla couple of franchised dealers, ask for the used car manager, and he'll likely share the names.

I've done this twice over the years for small bumper repairs or good size door chips.

In general, if a franchised dealer uses them, the quality of the work should be high. Often they charge amout $75. Will vary.

Good luck

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
Got a little too close to long trying to remove some berry crap on my flare!
Well it took the paint off dammit!

Are there pros out there that can fill and blend this small section other then painting the whole flare? I dont think touch up will look too good. Do i just go to a regular body shop and ask? I feel like an airbrush guy could do something, like a custom bike painter lol
View attachment 468466
take it to a used car lot. they can air brush it and you will never know that it happened. Dealers do this all the time to used trucks.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
take it to a used car lot. they can air brush it and you will never know that it happened. Dealers do this all the time to used trucks.
That's what I did after RAM refused to cover some clearcoat issues that just manifested on the left side of my hood and the left fender. $140 later and I can't tell that anything happened there. It will probably cost much less to fix that plastic fender.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d try to repair it myself. Bondo sells kits to do small repairs like that. Typically like $20 plus the cost of paint and clear. If it doesn’t come out to your satisfaction then take it to a pro. Some detailers do paint repair like that for cheap too.

Big Jims 1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get yourself a Mopar paint pen in your color. Just google “paint pen Ram ***” where *** is the paint code. Should be able to find it for $15-20. I had one for my 2017 2500 in pearl white I used for stone chips on the painted front bumper.
Ordered one for my 2021 the first week I had it.
my daughter had an oopsy with a visitor’s car in her driveway, I ordered one for her. We she came to visit a few weeks ago I polished off the rub marks and used the paint pen for the scratches. Looks pretty good considering a $15 and 30 minute repair.