Got the Carli 3" leveling coils and goodies installed today!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram2500hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500
Engine
"Hemi 5.7
I recently purchased a new 2500 crew cab with the hemi and ordered a few things to spruce it up a bit. I was looking to level out the front and improve the ride a little bit as well as get a little more meat under the fenders. I ordered up some Fuel Hostage wheels size 20x9 with 20mm offset and Nitto Trail Grapplers in size 295/65/20. The good people at Strapt Performance hooked me up with Carli 3" leveling coils for the Hemi, Carli adjustable track bar, 5100 Bilstein shocks for up front, a pair of Extreme Overkill adjustable endlinks, and Thuren adjustable rear shackles. I dropped the truck off at the local shop this morning a little after 9 after working a double and tried to go home to take a nap before I had to work this afternoon. Slept for about an hour and 45 minutes and woke up wondering how the install was going and decided to go check it out since I couldn't get back to sleep. He was just getting back from lunch and had most of the front install done. I went back on my way to work and he had just finished getting everthing on and the truck looks great! What a difference compared to the stock look. I didn't have a chance to really check out for rubbing issues since I just loaded up the old parts and headed to work down the road but I did notice there is a small rub on the driver side inner fender behind the tire at close to full lock. I expected this based on other's experiences with this tire wheel combo but it looks like I should be good after I zip tie the inner fender back a bit. I'll get a chance to check it out better tomorrow. I will post some before and after pictures in the next couple days.

Here is the truck before the mods

IMGP0732_zpsc5677822.jpg

Here it is after

IMGP0734_zpsa808b3ad.jpg

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ooo Ooo Ooo I want pics!

Would you be so kind as to take a measurement from the center of the front hub to the fender with those Carli 3" coils?
I'm ever so tempted to get a set, but I don't want the front being level or higher than the rear.

Sounds like you went all out with this front suspension upgrade.
I'm excited for a review of it.

OP
OP
R

Ram2500hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500
Engine
"Hemi 5.7
I'm pretty sure the front sat up a little higher then the rear after the new coils were installed because they had to put the Thuren rear shackles in the second hole which is is supposed to lift the rear about .75 inches above stock. Quickly looking at the truck it seems to still have a slight rake but I will take measurements tomorrow. The Thuren shackles are quite robust and very nicely made, they have a grease zerk which is nice. I'm very happy with all the components and comparing them to the stock pieces you see a huge difference in build quality. I'm tempted to say the ride quality imporved a little bit but can't be sure based on my short ride to work this afternoon. Hopefully I don't have any serious tire clearance issues rear their ugly heads tomorrow when I take it for a longer ride.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Congrats on the new setup. If you don't tow heavy, look into a set of the carli Deaver rear leafs. Those will give you night and day better articulation in the rear as well as a smoother ride. Only downside is that you lose some carrying capacity.
I am running a very similar setup with Thuren's front 3" coils, control arms, and trackbar. I am running Carli's front low mount steering stabilizer, the Carli backcountry shocks, and their Deaver rear leafs. It handles and articulates as well as a powerwagon with the swaybar disconnected.

OP
OP
R

Ram2500hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500
Engine
"Hemi 5.7
Thanks, I was thinking about those leafs but that won't be for awhile. My wife isn't too happy I took and brand new truck and had to turn around and dump money into it. :ehcapt:

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
You sound like me. I dropped $5k on suspension and tires only a few weeks after buying this truck. The stock stance with those little prius tires just wasn't working for me.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Lucky!
It sounds like a set of extended control arms will take car of your rubbing problem

OP
OP
R

Ram2500hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500
Engine
"Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I plan on getting some eventually but I pretty much maxed out my spending for awhile. I drilled a couple of holes in each plastic inner fener behind the front wheels and zip tied them back out of the way so there is no rubbing now. I do think I could get the tire to catch the very front of the pinch weld if I turned just right and hit a good bump. I'll be watching my tires to see if they start getting cut up and if they do I'll either trim the pinch weld some or have to scratch up some coin and get either the Carli or Thuren control arms. I put about 45 miles on the truck today and didn't notice any bad handling characteristics. It seems to ride a tad rougher to me but I may be wrong. It does turn more sluggishly going slow and I notice the larger tires and wheels rob a little power but not too bad. I still need to re-center my steering wheel and re-tighten everything in a week or so. I will try to load a picture tonight if I can get it to work.

OP
OP
R

Ram2500hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500
Engine
"Hemi 5.7
Ooo Ooo Ooo I want pics!

Would you be so kind as to take a measurement from the center of the front hub to the fender with those Carli 3" coils?
I'm ever so tempted to get a set, but I don't want the front being level or higher than the rear.

Sounds like you went all out with this front suspension upgrade.
I'm excited for a review of it.

White, the measurement from the front center hub to the fender is around 27 inches, hope that helps. You can adjust the Thuren rear shackles to get some rake back if you wanted to.

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I think some of the rubbing may be from the positive offset on your wheels. A negative offset would give you less backspacing, which in turn would push your tires out and should solve the rubbing.

Edit: you may want to look into wheel spacers. But if zip ties work that is a cheaper way to go.

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Looks awesome man! Truck sits perfect.

My truck needs a little Carli love

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
White, the measurement from the front center hub to the fender is around 27 inches, hope that helps. You can adjust the Thuren rear shackles to get some rake back if you wanted to.

Thanks Buddy! I'll go check mine out, see what it's sitting at.

I vote debadge the doors and paint the steps black

Last edited:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
20mm offset is a 5.75" backspace I think, I believe the stock wheels are 6.25"
From my experience pushing the tire out farther with spacers will only make the rubbing worse
I have -24mm off set which is 4.5" backspace and rub in that same area
An adjustable track bar took care of most of the rubbing and a hammer to the pinch weld took care of the rest (I couldn't do it to a brand new truck though)

Top gun customz makes nice control arms that are a little more inexpensive

OP
OP
R

Ram2500hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500
Engine
"Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the compliments. There sure are a lot of nice trucks on this site!