Got the old girl weighed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamFP620

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's getting close to boating season. Picked up a boat towards the end of last season and never made it to the scales. I can mark that off the list now.

Boat+trailer = 7300 - little heavier than I was expecting
Curb weight of the truck = 5840
Tongue weight = 500
Throw the weight of me and the family = ~6850 - someone has to lose some weight :D
Rear axle is still several hundred pounds under max.

I need that 6th lug nut or might be time for a 2500.

Any thoughts?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Your your on the higher end of weight capacity but it's not something I'd say you need to upgrade. How far are you pulling this boat to dunk it? Boats are usually lighter in tongue weight and your not over on the GAWRs. Drive intelligently and don't let the payload police make you think you going to crash and kill everyone in sight.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Your your on the higher end of weight capacity but it's not something I'd say you need to upgrade. How far are you pulling this boat to dunk it? Boats are usually lighter in tongue weight and your not over on the GAWRs. Drive intelligently and don't let the payload police make you think you going to crash and kill everyone in sight.

Ain't that the truth!?
I'm sure they'll be here soon. :manos:

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
It's getting close to boating season. Picked up a boat towards the end of last season and never made it to the scales. I can mark that off the list now.

Boat+trailer = 7300 - little heavier than I was expecting
Curb weight of the truck = 5840
Tongue weight = 500
Throw the weight of me and the family = ~6850 - someone has to lose some weight :D
Rear axle is still several hundred pounds under max.

I need that 6th lug nut or might be time for a 2500.

Any thoughts?

Go to the 3500, you will be getting a 5th wheel.

carverwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
18 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Personally I'd go 2500. I always feel safer. Beefier brakes, suspension and generally more payload.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Don't temp me. :D When I win the lotto.
shop around and look at prices. You can get a 3500 swa, 6.4L for around a 2500. The trim is what costs.

I got a 2500 when I got my TT thinking I'd get a 5th wheel. The problem many 5th wheels need a 3500.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
What is your GCWR on your truck? You are pushing the limits but not sure you are really over anywhere. Our boat/trailer weighs about 8900lbs with all tanks empty. I had about 700lbs tongue weight. My 2013 1500 3.55s towed it no problem. My max tow was 8600lbs so I was over. I went with a 2500 cause I was looking for a new truck anyway and work from home so the extra fuel wasn't an issue. I plan to top off the fuel tank (75 gallon) and weigh it again at a CAT scale to get an actual weight with each axle, etc. When I weighed it before it was at a local mill and it was a 1 scale deal with a total weight only. I did weigh the truck itself then weighed the truck with boat/trailer connected but boat axles were off the scales to get tongue weight.

Without knowing your GVWR and GCWR of your truck we can't really make an actual determination but like I said I think you should be ok.

Omar Badran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is your GCWR on your truck? You are pushing the limits but not sure you are really over anywhere. Our boat/trailer weighs about 8900lbs with all tanks empty. I had about 700lbs tongue weight. My 2013 1500 3.55s towed it no problem. My max tow was 8600lbs so I was over. I went with a 2500 cause I was looking for a new truck anyway and work from home so the extra fuel wasn't an issue. I plan to top off the fuel tank (75 gallon) and weigh it again at a CAT scale to get an actual weight with each axle, etc. When I weighed it before it was at a local mill and it was a 1 scale deal with a total weight only. I did weigh the truck itself then weighed the truck with boat/trailer connected but boat axles were off the scales to get tongue weight.

Without knowing your GVWR and GCWR of your truck we can't really make an actual determination but like I said I think you should be ok.

I'm not over any limits, just REALLY close on GVWR. I know I'm pushing the upper limits, but I don't typically travel with full tanks. I top off when I get to the ramp. And I don't drive like a bat out of hell when towing.

My GCWR is 15950 and I'm at 14150.
I'm right at the limit for GVWR which is 6900.
300+ lbs under rear GAWR.

Now I know where I'm at in weights, so if needed, the family goes in the other car if I need to carry any additional gear.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Good deal man. Good on you for checking. If your under GRAWR as you say, I wouldn't be afraid to run it. Take your time, keep good following distances and enjoy it. That's what I do,

Good luck!