Gotta ask...MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Astewartconst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I still need to give the Procal a try for tire calibration but it seems like I got some crap gas in my last tank (maybe had more ethanol) I filled up at a different station and my mpg jumped to 11 so that seems to be in mine with what it should be.

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
tpk0999. Nearly doubled your mpg from 13.8 to 24-26 mpg in the Power Wagon!
Cruising at 55 usually nets at cruising speed about 24-26. If you drive and don't hit any stoplights. An avg of 18 isn't out of the question. During your engine warm up you'll see 12-14. Depending on Temps, you could be fully warmed up within a mile. Hemis have always liked speeds around 50 -60. They achieve maximum mpg at those speeds. A factor to also take into consideration is wind. IF you took off those a/t tires and put hwy tread tires (and a little bit bigger) you should be getting right around what a standard 6.4 with a smaller gear will achieve.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
...speeds around 50 -60. They achieve maximum mpg at those speeds. A factor to also take into consideration is wind. IF you took off those a/t tires and put hwy tread tires...

IF it requires going back to doing 55 versus 80, then
20210228_142629.jpg

Last edited:

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IF it requires going back to doing 55 versus 80, then
View attachment 239445
Don't shoot the messenger. Country roads out here are 55. Highways are 70-75 max. All trucks are bricks in term of aerodynamics.

Side note, a scat pack 6.4l challenger got 27 mpg on the highway. I was quite shocked on that one [emoji15]

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d have it checked for a correct tune more than a speedo redo. You’re factory tires ain’t but about 1” smaller than what you’re running as most tires that say 35” aren’t really a true 35”, 34.9 maybe a 34.10 so you’re splitting negligible differences.
The reason I say tune is the 2,000k rpm unless at idle doesn’t sound right. Although it may Be the truck learning your driving style. You can always disco the battery and let it sit for a few minutes to fully drain any residual in the PCM hook it’s back up and then drive it and see how it react’s. It does relearn from pedal input. With it being new it does have to break in and running a higher grade fuel might also help.

OP
OP
A

Astewartconst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’d have it checked for a correct tune more than a speedo redo. You’re factory tires ain’t but about 1” smaller than what you’re running as most tires that say 35” aren’t really a true 35”, 34.9 maybe a 34.10 so you’re splitting negligible differences.
The reason I say tune is the 2,000k rpm unless at idle doesn’t sound right. Although it may Be the truck learning your driving style. You can always disco the battery and let it sit for a few minutes to fully drain any residual in the PCM hook it’s back up and then drive it and see how it react’s. It does relearn from pedal input. With it being new it does have to break in and running a higher grade fuel might also help.

Strange to say but my past two fuel tanks seem to have made a difference. I ran mid grade from a different station and now premium. I almost wondered if the gear hold was stuck but that would reset when the truck shuts off. It was just like the gears were holding as if in trailer tow mode or something. Does seem much improved now though so I can’t say exactly what

SkeeterBait

Reaction score
The Birthplace Town of the "Jersey Devil"
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
really when you drive power wagon fuel economy was probably not a concern .hammer down and hang on
Yes... was not even a remote thought about "fuel mileage" for me. If that's a concern for someone, they should be driving one of those sissified snowflake "green" cars that can hardly even get out its' own way

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes... was not even a remote thought about "fuel mileage" for me. If that's a concern for someone, they should be driving one of those sissified snowflake "green" cars that can hardly even get out its' own way
Well Skeeter I was just trying to be polite, lol. I ain’t never bought a vehicle and considered or worried about gas mileage.

Airmousam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm having a hard time with this 24+ mpg...came back from the lake house this am and drove it super easy...was boring btw... Eco lite on a lot...15.4..anyone else seeing this 20+

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm having a hard time with this 24+ mpg...came back from the lake house this am and drove it super easy...was boring btw... Eco lite on a lot...15.4..anyone else seeing this 20+
I am not talking about avg. I am referring to the instantaneous read when your driving. If you don't see anything above 15.4. I see those numbers if I'm on the highway but thsts typical. Drag and gearing really effect the mpg.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
When I had a PW I was around ~12 mpg on average. Never saw anything over about ~15. This was all hand calculated on a stock truck. Great weekender but couldn't stomach the lack of range as a daily driver.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
First 1000 miles of mixed driving with 39's and stock gearing.

1qc72oq.jpg
Two questions for you,

Oh, I don't have a PW, just a '17 2500 CCLB 4X4 6.4 4.10s

What gears are you running?
What tire pressures Front/Rear?

I'm contemplating 5.13s with 37's but I would much rather go with the 39's.

I'll be keeping my stock 18" rims with the 285/75R18 (+/- 34.8") Falken Wildpeaks for towing. Currently building a shop that will have a 12,000 lb. lift so, swapping is no big deal.

Thanks,
Ed

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Lol, I’ve never got anything better then 13.5 in mine. Good for you guys getting those good numbers although I can’t see how that’s possible but I’ll take your word for it.

Airmousam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Lol, I’ve never got anything better then 13.5 in mine. Good for you guys getting those good numbers although I can’t see how that’s possible but I’ll take your word for it.
I'm right there with you...the high numbers are the instant numbers you see and don't mean jack....ive seen 30... foot off gas tail wind...means nothing...lol