governor removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Racer172

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Just purchased a '19 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4, and just joined the forum today.
surely this topic has been discussed in depth, but I did a search for Governor removal and came up with nothing. Can someone please point me an existing thread, or if not discuss whatever you know about the topic here. Thanks.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Its in the truck's computer, if you're referring to the speed governor. To not have it anymore, you'd need to modify the computer through some sort of bypass, or a different/custom computer.

Sorry to be a negative nancy, but if you do that, there is a chance your warranty could be voided if its ever in a dealership for maintenance/recall/repair/etc. and they discover it.
Also, the different/custom computer plus tuner can run some decent money ($1000+) depending on exactly what you want.

My advice: don't do it. Just my two cents. But if you are determined, there are a few ways.

Gone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do what i did the least hassle maximum performance..

Get the pcm /bypass cable from diablo sport get tuning Software from hptuners.

Groo

Reaction score
Ram Year
shopping
Engine
shopping
Got some V or better speed rated tires on your Ram? I think the OEM tires are Q rated, and that is why it is governed where it is.

Fred Palencia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought of the same thing at first when I seen it only went up to 105 mph but then I realized how offen do I drive that fast because anything over 100 mph I’m risking losing my drivers lic then what will I be rolling in the bus lol

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Or don’t drive. 6000 lb vehicle at speeds over 110 mph, since many components aren’t designed to go/stop that fast on your truck. There’s always that option.

OP
OP
Racer172

Racer172

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Its in the truck's computer, if you're referring to the speed governor. My advice: don't do it. Just my two cents. But if you are determined, there are a few ways.

Thank you Jason, you answered my question and I'm going to go with your advice. Cheers.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
surely this topic has been discussed in depth, but I did a search for Governor removal and came up with nothing. Can someone please point me an existing thread, or if not discuss whatever you know about the topic here. Thanks.

1) No governor, computer controlled.

IF U desire to go that much faster, try and buy the New TRX RAM coming out. Because:

U gonna have to beef up suspension. Change Brakes/rotors. Up grade shocks. DEFINTELY GET like Z rated tireds Maybe pull intake and put on a whipple. Gonna have to retune all areas. Modify exhaust, the list is endless on a 6,600 lb truck that did not come out of the factory built for those speeds. And lastly, ask yer state to rebuild curves and such on roadways with banking, cause Science not gonna like U. Even if U bump up to 120, tires at a bare minimum, and I would not trust siock FCA brakes when they start getting that warm. ALL above IMHO.

CAVEAT: Spent a lot of years on roadways built for that speed, definitely not US, but then all IMHO................

BIG CAVEAT: Your ride, and do what works for U, but Be safe.....

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Hmmm. I wonder how we all survived before digital nannies arrived on the scene. My first truck was a 72 model and it didn’t have a rev limiter or a speed limiter. It was good for about 125. I’m pretty sure today’s trucks are superior and the tires are sure a lot better.

Maybe the OP wants to hit the track, or could be he drives some lonely roads.

PandaRam2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn 4x4 CrewCab 8' Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Used to be able to pull the ABS fuse/relay(s). We would do that when we'd have Dyno/Tune day and that wasn't all that long ago (wink)

The above statement is to be labeled : OFF THE ROAD USE ONLY.

Thank you, The General Public

Spirit79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I did all the go faster magic to my 2015 6.4. Now it tops out at 138 mph. My question is: Will the plug in my right rear tire stay in at that speed? (sarcasm/comedy font engaged)

Rob j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
There is no reason to go that fast. It’s not a corvette.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Hmmm. I wonder how we all survived before digital nannies arrived on the scene. My first truck was a 72 model and it didn’t have a rev limiter or a speed limiter. It was good for about 125. I’m pretty sure today’s trucks are superior and the tires are sure a lot better.

Maybe the OP wants to hit the track, or could be he drives some lonely roads.

Oh, we were mostly all, Young and Dumb as Dirt, at some time in our Lives.

Then, if we are Lucky, we actually gain some Years of Age, Wisdom & Common Sense.
Not to mention Wealth, which we prefer to keep to ourselves and not payout, to others, for doing ******** stunts.

Though, all the above does Cause some with regrets.
Mostly, due to remembering those, who did not get the chance to Age along with us, due to Death or Prison.

Not sure who are the Lucky Ones between those two choices.

The Ex-Cons are alive but they are rarely anyone, anyone with Sense, likes to hang with, after release.
Though, a few do make it all the way back. Just a few, not many.

Anyway, as always, do whatever the hell you feel like.
Just be ready to pay the price, when it comes due.

Drive 900 MPH on public Roadways,
Hang with Hookers.
Go on a Road Rage Spree with automatic weapons.

It's called Free Will.

Just be aware of the price ... and it always comes due, eventually.

"Not My Fault", " I didn't mean for THAT to Happen" and "I'm genuinely Sorry and Remorseful"
excuses are simply not going Work, when you get to the truly Fun Choices.

Groo

Reaction score
Ram Year
shopping
Engine
shopping
You guys will be pleased to learn that the J1939 heavy truck communication protocol does not have a way to measure road speeds 156 mph or over.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you really think you “need” to go this fast on a public highway you are dangerous.

Walt2137

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im sure i was dangerous when i was in my teens thank god i never killed anyone but i was in the right front seat of a car ( 56 Olds super 88 )that killed two Going well over 100 mph and didnt make a curve. And all i got was a small rock in my ear. After that experience i learned how to reach over and cut the key off.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This thread scares me.

It concerns me as well. My father was an engineer. One day when I was a pimple faced adolescent living at home, he overheard a conversation I was having with one of my buddies where I was telling my friend about going 105 MPH on the freeway in my 1963 Impala. Dad said nothing until the next evening.... he told me he had heard me tell about going that fast in that old car... Dad had plugged data about that car into a computer at his work (IBM), and told me that my car at that speed weighed only 3 pounds on each wheel (net downforce). I never drove it that fast again.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Don't you have to write articles of impeachment? ;)