GPS out of whack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BarriePete

Reaction score
Springwater, Ontario (just north of Barrie)
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
My 2021 RAM Rebel’s GPS/Map function has started acting up over the last few months, regardless of whether I’m using the built-in map or the map on my iPhone connected to the screen. I know it’s the truck, because the iPhone map by itself (i.e., when it’s not connected to the truck) always works fine.

The big truck screen map will show my truck as being anywhere from a few dozen yards to hundreds of yards from where I actually am, which of course messes with the routing software, as it tries to get me back on the right road to where I’m going.

Thing is, it’s intermittent. One day it’s fine. The next, it’s messed up.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks in advance.

Pete
Springwater, Ontario

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Welcome to the forum .I had the GPS on the Jeep go out, but it left permanently. They replaced the whole radio and 8.4 U Connect to repair it. $1,500 touch, glad it was on warranty. I get the truck GPS not working right but I have no idea how t is showing up wrong with the Iphone/Apple Car Play engaged. Being intermittent I would video it when acting up so the dealership can see what is happening.

OP
OP
B

BarriePete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
Thanks, Dean — I’m just over 100,000 km (60,000 mi) and just over 2 years. In other words, the wrong side of warranty coverage. That said, I’ll take your advice and take a video and take it to the dealership and see what they say. Thanks again!

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Mine has started to to this same thing, where the GPS was shown off by a noticeable distance. The one thing I will add, is my radio was trying to do an update, and was failing multiple times in a row. Now it says there is a problem with the uconnect box too.

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
We don't have navigation in our Ram but the compass goes wonky from time to time.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Have you tried recalibration, same process is used for both GPS and compass when I had my Jeep renegade Trailhawk. Enter your GPS nav screen, go to an empty field or parking lot and drive in a figure 8 pattern 3 to 5 times, then **** of the vehicle, open door to get radio to completely power off, then restart and go for a drive and see if it's better. I had to do this twice in the 15 months I had my renegade.

shrubs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Double check all connections all the way to the antenna.

Inspect the antenna.

Water anywhere, even almost unseen, can make things wonky. Intermittently or long term.

If all those checks and inspections pass, then keep on going to software.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Also, open the fuse box in the engine compartment and press down gently on every fuse. My bet is you will find over half are not fully seated. I did that on both of our vehicles after it cured the Gremlins in my Wife's Jeep just recently.

OP
OP
B

BarriePete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll report back once I’ve tried everything—with the possible exception of checking all the wiring. I don’t have the tools (or the skill!) to go that in-depth.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Have you tried recalibration, same process is used for both GPS and compass when I had my Jeep renegade Trailhawk. Enter your GPS nav screen, go to an empty field or parking lot and drive in a figure 8 pattern 3 to 5 times, then **** of the vehicle, open door to get radio to completely power off, then restart and go for a drive and see if it's better. I had to do this twice in the 15 months I had my renegade.

I had a Chevy and that was how you calibrated the compass and GPS. Also wife had a Land Rover and same thing. Except, both you had to do the figure 8's and then also do them in the opposite direction too.
None of the powering off either.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I had a Chevy and that was how you calibrated the compass and GPS. Also wife had a Land Rover and same thing. Except, both you had to do the figure 8's and then also do them in the opposite direction too.
None of the powering off either.
Neither my company Silverado or my ex's caddy said anything about going both directions, both used same process as my renegade. Power down was required with both also.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Neither my company Silverado or my ex's caddy said anything about going both directions, both used same process as my renegade. Power down was required with both also.
This was old '09 model. It was a pretty basic set up back then. Lousy screen that you couldn't see with sunglasses on. No quality zoom feature to see close ups of roads.
I'm sure the newer ones are light years ahead.