Great gas timeage, but will it need stabilizer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
If I was keeping gas this long for my chainsaws, mowers, etc. I would have put some gasoline stabilizer in it. Now I'm thinking about my truck---will these hi-tech engines (& cats) deal with stabilizers? I just buy the Walmart stuff for the small motors' gas, but is there a better quality mix that would better for the truck? I'm glad it's a sealed system, the older cars with vented tanks and today's gas would surely have degraded by now---about 3 months since filling up, still got over 3/4 tank. Probably over-thinking it, right? o_O

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I wouldn't start to worry about it until it's over 6 months. Stabilizer is fine mixed as directed if you want to use it.

Matty Moo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put sta-bil in one of my work trucks when it gets put away for the winter, no issues come spring. It also has another tank on it for equipment, that also gets it. It's all of 1 ounce of stabilizer to 5 gallons of gas. Not really an additive, it just keeps the fuel stable.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
With a gas engine I only add stabilizer to small engines that will sit idle for couple of months. With my pickup with the diesel engine I use stabilizer a lot more as diesel may be part biodiesel which is a great medium for growing algae that can clog the fuel system.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
A Ram Dealership Cummins Diesel Technician recommended Diesel Sta-Bil for my truck to add to every fresh tank of fuel. Seems like a great product and a means to preserve fuel. Reduces condensation in the tank which should reduce water in the fuel filters. Also prevents the fuel from oxidizing.

Anyone else here have good success using Diesel Sta-Bil ??

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Diesel is different as moisture in the tank can result in algae which in turn can clog the fuel system which is an expensive repair. With a gas truck the best thing is to keep the tank full and if it is going to sit for months, then add a fuel stabilizer and most of these also help to clean the injector solenoids which is a bonus.

Richg87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock
Engine
V6 Pentastar
I always keep 10 - 15 gallons of gas with stabil. I use for mowers, generators, etc. I'll circulate in my truck. I buy 91 octane and store in 5 gallon metal gas containers. Very tight seal. The red plastic containers are not good for longterm storage. Kept gas for 12 months and never had an issue.