Great trip this weekend, but finished with some damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Took the camper out this weekend, weather was perfect and the 4 hour drive down was uneventful. Unfortunately, on the return, just 10 minutes from home, had a tire blowout. The trailer stayed stable, the truck never even wiggled. I felt what seemed to be a minor bumping, so I immediately pulled off the hwy. From when I first felt it, I was off the road into the emergency lane in probably 100 yards or less. Minor damage to the fender trim and skirt, but looks to be easily repaired.

20201122_133432.jpg
20201122_154209.jpg

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
good to hear there wasn't much damage. Probably a good time for new rubber all the way around on the trailer

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Go with Goodyear Endurance - you won't regret it! And I'd also recommend a good TPMS.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
That stinks glad to hear it wasn't to bad. The tires on mine scare me I'm constantly adjusting the tire pressure to keep them right. I have a hard time getting rid of brand new tires but it wont be long before I do.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
glad all is ok. I always worried about the china tires on my travel trailer so this summer I replaced all with next higher load range Carlisle radial trail tires..have much more confidence in those. they are even rated for 81 mph..altho I usually tow at 68-69.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I went with the new Carlisle CSL16 on my horse trailer. I removed the Goodyear Endurance's to put these on. They are 14 ply all steel tires, load range G and 81 MPH speed rating. While the Goodyears are good 10 ply polyester / steel tires, I wanted the extra protection and load capability of an all steel tire. If you get the Carlisle's check with your tire dealer to make sure their machine can handle the stiffer sidewalls / beads.

PS. Also, check the wheel bearings at the next repack. Very high probability they are cheap Chinese as well. I always replace the Chinese bearings with Timkin's as soon as possible when I get a new trailer.

Wheel bearings and tires are the two biggest items that fail on trailers. The results can range from inconvenient to catastrophic. IMHO, a few hundred dollars extra is money well spent for these two critical trailer items.

Last edited:

Cactusmonkey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Endurance is by far the best way to go, glad you are doing that and also glad there wasn't more damage.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad you didn't have any problems and all is OK.
Just had the same thing last week just shy of the RV park we were going to in Bakersfield. Hit something in the road that cut down the tire. Just minor under skirt damage that I can't fox myself. Trailer and truck stayed straight and pulled over with no issues. Replaced the blowout with an 8ply, and will be doing the same with the rest before long. No matter the tire, it would have blown though.
Safe travels.

JeffN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I picked up a new 28’ enclosed trailer last month in Georgia and was driving back to CA. I pulled over to sleep for a few hours somewhere between Memphis and Little Rock. Got back on the road around 3am, stopped at a Love’s to get some coffee, fuel, and check my tires. 2nd axle trailer tire was flat but if I hadn’t thumped it I am not sure I would have noticed with an empty trailer. I was thinking 3 things as I was changing that tire. 1) Damn it was cold out, 2) thank god I upgraded the tires on the trailer before picking it up, and 3) proud of myself for having the common sense to throw a trailer spare in my truck “just in case.”

I was able to plug the hole and fill it with air before getting back on the road. And then I kicked over my coffee while putting my tools away.

Took the camper out this weekend, weather was perfect and the 4 hour drive down was uneventful. Unfortunately, on the return, just 10 minutes from home, had a tire blowout. The trailer stayed stable, the truck never even wiggled. I felt what seemed to be a minor bumping, so I immediately pulled off the hwy. From when I first felt it, I was off the road into the emergency lane in probably 100 yards or less. Minor damage to the fender trim and skirt, but looks to be easily repaired.

View attachment 228326
View attachment 228327

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I went with the new Carlisle CSL16 on my horse trailer. I removed the Goodyear Endurance's to put these on. They are 14 ply all steel tires, load range G and 81 MPH speed rating. While the Goodyears are good 10 ply polyester / steel tires, I wanted the extra protection and load capability of an all steel tire. If you get the Carlisle's check with your tire dealer to make sure their machine can handle the stiffer sidewalls / beads.

PS. Also, check the wheel bearings at the next repack. Very high probability they are cheap Chinese as well. I always replace the Chinese bearings with Timkin's as soon as possible when I get a new trailer.

Wheel bearings and tires are the two biggest items that fail on trailers. The results can range from inconvenient to catastrophic. IMHO, a few hundred dollars extra is money well spent for these two critical trailer items.

you right..my travel trailer is only 3 years old..when upgrading tires I also checked wheel bearings and added grease. the bearings all good but had very little grease left in them..

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
Glad it wasn't worse! Those skirts typically aren't held on very well, so you're lucky it stayed.
I've done a couple 4000+ mile trips and many trips of a few hundred miles each way and have been fortunate enough to have not blown a tire on the truck or trailer. I'm not sure how since the roads are utter crap. I usually carry two spares if I'm doing a long trip as I like to have a spare for my spare rather than look for a tire shop while carting around a camper and not make my next checkpoint. Then I can replace my spare when I reach my destination and unpack.
Hopefully the new tires and wheels take care of you for a while.