Great trip this weekend, but finished with some damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A TPMS might have saved you. Any tire, china bombs or Goodyear can take a nail. Then they slowly leak. Then they blow from the excess heat. You heard it after it was too late. Sometimes you get someone blowing the horn at you. But if your driving in the right lane. As you should :) No one can see your passenger side tires.

TST TPMS is the one I use on my trailer. It is expensive. I got it on sale at WOOT. For $236.

Good luck!

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
For what it's worth I use the tymate TPMS from amazon and it's actually really good especially for $70. It takes a little for them to connect but they stay connected and they have temp read out, pressure read out, and you can set high/low alarms also. But the work great even on my 35ft trailer.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
Wife had a blow-out on my Dakota years ago. Trashed the rear fender.

Mainuh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Go with Goodyear Endurance - you won't regret it! And I'd also recommend a good TPMS.

+1 on the TPMS. I run the TST system and use a repeater on the front of the trailer to help the signal. It spotted a nail puncture and alerted us safely while we were in New Brunswick, NS on the way to Newfoundland. We were able to get it replaced and be on our way quickly.

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
+1 on the TPMS. I run the TST system and use a repeater on the front of the trailer to help the signal. It spotted a nail puncture and alerted us safely while we were in New Brunswick, NS on the way to Newfoundland. We were able to get it replaced and be on our way quickly.

I also run the TST system. Expensive, but worth it. And still cheaper than my deductible.

AZ Joan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
Glad everyone was ok

Last edited:

Ramagain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you haven't picked up on this yet, get a TPMS system. I ran Westlake tires on a 44' TH for 4+ years and never had an issue. Its cheap insurance, next time it could take out your fridge...
...and I also switched to Good Years just recently.

Gunnison

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had tire failure on my 5th wheel that caused thousands of $ in damage! Tread came off slapped around underneath and blew a hole in my floor. Note the photo below of us standing inside my RV with a chunk of tire tread sticking through. I suspect the tire went flat and then the tread separated. Never again..........I replaced all 4 tires with new Goodyear Endurance and added a TPMS by Tire Minder TM-77
The TPMS saved me Thanksgiving day while towing my 10k car trailer which got a flat. Avoid China bombs and never tow without a TPMSIMG_5792.JPG IMG_5787.JPG IMG_5784.JPG IMG_5790.jpg

Mando Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I already had a damaged wheel, and the blowout made 2 damaged wheels.
Not to hijack the thread (I worry about my trailer tires as well - especially the fact my purchased brand-new 2017 Keystone, 25-foot, 6300 lb. dry-weight RV came 'stock' with little 14" China-bomb tires and wheels) but there are companies which make wheels which fit trailer hubs and bolt patterns. They will thus allow for a good truck tire - like a Michelin - rather than those cheap trailer tires. If you check out Long-Long Honeymoon, they have a video on their new wheels and tires. I think this is the one: http://longlonghoneymoon.com/why-put-truck-tires-on-a-travel-trailer/
My 2019 Ram Classic pulls our trailer just fine, but it (the truck) came with 'standard load' tires and the back end squirmed all over. I pulled the trailer on one 50 mile trip and couldn't hardly keep the rig on the expressway. I immediately (with less than 1200 miles on them) replaced those cheap tires (I had no option to order better ones when I ordered my RAM, even WITH the trailer-tow package) with Load Range E tires (end of the squirm) and put LiftMaster air bags in the rear coils. Pulls like a dream. Good luck!

HDRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My toy hauler had china bombs too. Had blow out over the summer. I, too, went with Goodyear Endurance. Hauler tows so much better. BTW, still waiting on the parts to get repaired. Needs new graphics, wheel well trim, and a new rim.rv blow out.jpg

OP
OP
Firebird

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
My toy hauler had china bombs too. Had blow out over the summer. I, too, went with Goodyear Endurance. Hauler tows so much better. BTW, still waiting on the parts to get repaired. Needs new graphics, wheel well trim, and a new rim.View attachment 229003
Wow, that tire really messed things up!

HDRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow, that tire really messed things up!
Yeah it did. Pulled over as soon as I could. Doing 70 mph. Bad part was, I wanted to change those tires the end of the season.

Huskerz1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Had tire failure on my 5th wheel that caused thousands of $ in damage! Tread came off slapped around underneath and blew a hole in my floor. Note the photo below of us standing inside my RV with a chunk of tire tread sticking through. I suspect the tire went flat and then the tread separated. Never again..........I replaced all 4 tires with new Goodyear Endurance and added a TPMS by Tire Minder TM-77
The TPMS saved me Thanksgiving day while towing my 10k car trailer which got a flat. Avoid China bombs and never tow without a TPMSView attachment 228974 View attachment 228975 View attachment 228976 View attachment 228977

Had the same thing happen to me on my 5th. Not quite as bad thru the floor tho. Sucks.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I like the lifting system Gunnison uses...who needs an expensive jack system to change a tire.