Grid heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Question to the collective: Aftermarket parts hucksters like to talk about the grid heater bolt failure as a frequently occurring issue. Maybe they just like to sell parts that aren't really necessary...I'm not making accusations, but yea, I'm making accusations.

How common is this issue with the grid heater bolt/**** dropping off into the intake manifold and taking out a Cummins engine?

Does RAM have a campaign on this, or are they just ignoring the issue?

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Until I read a thread on here about the current recall on the grid heater relay issue, I had never heard of that grounding bolt melting off. They use that bolt as a ground for that heating circuit. There is a current recall (Y08, Y76) of course on the grid heater from FCA, but they are calling out that there is a relay that can stick, causing the current to not shut off. They dont say anything about that stud being an issue.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Very very rare, but listening to all the kids on social media you would think this happens to every truck out there. Good o'l salesman's Banks jumped on the bandwagon big time to put everyone who listens to him in panic mode as well..... Nice sales pitch

Just check and see if it is loose every once in a while or disconnect it from the battery if you are in a warmer climate.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Until I read a thread on here about the current recall on the grid heater relay issue, I had never heard of that grounding bolt melting off. They use that bolt as a ground for that heating circuit. There is a current recall (Y08, Y76) of course on the grid heater from FCA, but they are calling out that there is a relay that can stick, causing the current to not shut off. They dont say anything about that stud being an issue.

Bolt melting off is a different issue then the relay issue (recall) on the 19+ trucks. Not related to each other.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
It's happening enough for FCA to put out a recall. I was very surprised myself when the recall showed up at my door. I purchased the Banks system more for the performance. I have yet to install it, but I wish they would pay the labor to install it. I currently do not have any time to do so. Likely take me a full weekend to do it right. And if I am not working on a saturday I am fixing on the house to sell it. Local guy that I trust thinks it would probably cost him about $700 to install the intake & boost tubes. Looks like what slowes you down is all of the tiny connectors & hard to reach stuff.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
It's happening enough for FCA to put out a recall. I was very surprised myself when the recall showed up at my door. I purchased the Banks system more for the performance. I have yet to install it, but I wish they would pay the labor to install it. I currently do not have any time to do so. Likely take me a full weekend to do it right. And if I am not working on a saturday I am fixing on the house to sell it. Local guy that I trust thinks it would probably cost him about $700 to install the intake & boost tubes. Looks like what slowes you down is all of the tiny connectors & hard to reach stuff.
Can you post the recall number? I've not heard of this one

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Nope, completely different issue. The recall has nothing to do with bolts falling/melting off.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You are hilarious! You want them to pay for something you are choosing to do for no good reason? :crazy::manos:

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Nope... I am a bone head! It's for the relay. I just saw intake grid heater & assumed that it was for the bolt problem. Man with all of the issues that arise on these HD's, you would think they just came out with a new model this year. Going to have my radio replaced next week due to it dropping the presets repeatedly.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Nope... I am a bone head! It's for the relay. I just saw intake grid heater & assumed that it was for the bolt problem. Man with all of the issues that arise on these HD's, you would think they just came out with a new model this year. Going to have my radio replaced next week due to it dropping the presets repeatedly.
There’s an update for that. My last 22’ had been in the shop 3 times for different updates in 6 months. Rear camera (that also fixed the radio), ESC and tailgate alignment.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The constant hot/cold cycle with 225 amps causes the bolt to melt in the center (by the insulation washer) and it breaks, goes into cylinder 5 or 6 and that makes for a very bad day.

I’m getting ready to swap my intake horn for a cab/chassis intake horn and do the grid heater delete plate. I bought 2 GM intake heaters witch will be drilled/tapped into said plate so I don’t get a CEL. Just waiting on a new water pump so I can knock it out all at once.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Question to the collective: Aftermarket parts hucksters like to talk about the grid heater bolt failure as a frequently occurring issue. Maybe they just like to sell parts that aren't really necessary...I'm not making accusations, but yea, I'm making accusations.

How common is this issue with the grid heater bolt/**** dropping off into the intake manifold and taking out a Cummins engine?

Does RAM have a campaign on this, or are they just ignoring the issue?
The real question is how many RAM Cummins is out there without an issue with the grid heater bolt coming lose. We don't know. I check my 2015 every once in a while, usually when I check the oil, no issue for me. I use the now famous grid heater jiggle test. If you don't know what that is... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi2rkVto57Y

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The real question is how many RAM Cummins is out there without an issue with the grid heater bolt coming lose. We don't know. I check my 2015 every once in a while, usually when I check the oil, no issue for me. I use the now famous grid heater jiggle test. If you don't know what that is... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi2rkVto57Y
I'm sure there are millions upon millions of Ram Cummins trucks out there that have never and will never have a problem.
The handful of trucks that may indeed have this problem are seized upon on these forums made to sound like every truck WILL have a problem.
Overblown and exaggerated like every problem you read about on forums.

MyTruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
I have a 2015 6.7 Tradesman. Completely stock and never had any problems. I use it to tow my fifth wheel as well. A minor issue I had happened during the Covid lockdown. I didn't drive it for 2 months. CEL went on. So I drove it hard in the freeway, drove on many of the hills. After the drive, CEL went out. In an oil change, I don't even prefill my oil filter. I never had in any of my cars.

Cdahammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
While I am sure there are many out there that have no problems there are a lot that do have this issue . I never even heard of it today until it happened to me . I felt a change in power and a definitive stutter . I stopped and all you could hear was a loud tapping that changed with engine rpm . I thought I had lost a lifter or something along them lines . I got home with it as it still ran ok and started digging into it . As soon as I googled the symptoms there was a ton of hits on this issue . Go out and do this jiggle test and of course it is lose as it can be . I called the local diesel shop to confirm my fears and they said odds are the engine is toast . They have one 2017 in there now doing the same thing and so far are 4 weekes in on a engine rebuild as all the machine shops are backed up here like no tomorrow . Probably another 3 weeks to get it finished . That one he said had minimal damage to the head and cyl wall so it was rebuildable . It is also the forth or fifth truck this year in there for the same thing . And they have done lots previous . He straight up told me I am best off picking up a used 6.7 for the quickest turnaround time vs anything else . New engines are 10 weeks out . Either way it is a very expensive fix for a 20 cent bolt . SO yeah it can be a myth , until it happens to you .

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
While I am sure there are many out there that have no problems there are a lot that do have this issue . I never even heard of it today until it happened to me . I felt a change in power and a definitive stutter . I stopped and all you could hear was a loud tapping that changed with engine rpm . I thought I had lost a lifter or something along them lines . I got home with it as it still ran ok and started digging into it . As soon as I googled the symptoms there was a ton of hits on this issue . Go out and do this jiggle test and of course it is lose as it can be . I called the local diesel shop to confirm my fears and they said odds are the engine is toast . They have one 2017 in there now doing the same thing and so far are 4 weekes in on a engine rebuild as all the machine shops are backed up here like no tomorrow . Probably another 3 weeks to get it finished . That one he said had minimal damage to the head and cyl wall so it was rebuildable . It is also the forth or fifth truck this year in there for the same thing . And they have done lots previous . He straight up told me I am best off picking up a used 6.7 for the quickest turnaround time vs anything else . New engines are 10 weeks out . Either way it is a very expensive fix for a 20 cent bolt . SO yeah it can be a myth , until it happens to you .
Yeah that was what I was afraid of. Maybe it is only happening to 5% of the trucks, but with as bad as my luck is, I would be the one that gets bit! Mine will be on warranty for a long while but 1. I can't afford the down time, & 2. Dealerships are known for doing the bare minimum to have it fixed. One guy was able to look at his engine torn down & could see the scaring the broken parts did to the cylinder. Did they bore it out? No, just honed it & called it a day. Didn't even take a peek at the bearings to see if there had been any damage to them from metal floating around.

Cdahammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah It is costly . So right now as it stands I am 5400 in on a used engine that I hope is good since it was low KM , as I am in Canada . The another 1600 for the intake and grid delete kit ect . I am somewhat sure that some of that bolt may have in pieces made it threw the turbo as it also is pooched and drags when you spin it . My truck threw an EB code saying that actuator had no movement when this all happened so I think some pieces of it made it all the way out . Then to top iot off I find out my fan clutch and hub are shot on my engine as well .

The one I have to replace it with is out of a 2012 so of course the fan guts and such are different . As well as the actuator that came on the turbo on it is a different style of plug . So I need to hope mine is good still or do some funky wiring stuff .

I pulled the grid heater of my original engine today since the shop guys had it out and yep , stud is melted right off it and no where to be found so I am positive it is in the cylinder .

So far the grand total is 5400 + 1600 + 700ish for the new fan clutch + oils and gaskets 500-1000 depending on what is needed and labour as of right now is roughly gonna tap out estimate between 3-4000 .
SO yeah this is getting pricey