Grill Shutters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I keep seeing posts referring to grill shutters. Being only a middlin shade tree mechanic I'll ask - what are grill shutters, where are they, and what do they do? Is this something specific to RAM, or do all new trucks/vehicles have them?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I keep seeing posts referring to grill shutters. Being only a middlin shade tree mechanic I'll ask - what are grill shutters, where are they, and what do they do? Is this something specific to RAM, or do all new trucks/vehicles have them?

Active grill shutters are shutters that sit in front of your rad. They can be opened and closed by your computer. The idea is that they are closed when your truck is cold, so that the engine heats up faster and keeps it at the "desired temp" (Rams desired temps are not the same as my desired temps). Then if your truck gets too hot they can be opened by the computer to get more air flow.

This is all automatically done, but the issue is that Ram has programmed our trucks to run hot, probably for CAFE/MPG reasons. Many of us see temps way too hot for our preference, so we go on a journey to reduce those temps. If you pull out the shutters but leave two rows there, the system still thinks its working as programmed (so no codes show up) but we basically give it constant air flow.

It helps mostly when driving. When idling at drive throughs, your temps will still spike.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Active grill shutters are shutters that sit in front of your rad. They can be opened and closed by your computer. The idea is that they are closed when your truck is cold, so that the engine heats up faster and keeps it at the "desired temp" (Rams desired temps are not the same as my desired temps). Then if your truck gets too hot they can be opened by the computer to get more air flow.

This is all automatically done, but the issue is that Ram has programmed our trucks to run hot, probably for CAFE/MPG reasons. Many of us see temps way too hot for our preference, so we go on a journey to reduce those temps. If you pull out the shutters but leave two rows there, the system still thinks its working as programmed (so no codes show up) but we basically give it constant air flow.

It helps mostly when driving. When idling at drive throughs, your temps will still spike.
Thanks.

This may be unrelated, but I have noticed the last couple of times when I have gotten out of the truck with the engine running after a 30+ minute drive in 90+ degree heat the engine is roaring pretty loud. Is this normal, and would it have anything to do with the shutters?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The Roar is your fan running, it is normal. If the fan is running the Grill shutters will be open. If you look through the front of your rad you can see the shutters. If you hit the remote start, you can watch them go through their open to close to open again test cycle so you can see how they work. Default truck off is open, as it is if there is a fault thrown.

Up here it gets cold as hell, I love the grill shutters, I would never remove mine. The truck will actually stay at heat at -40 and 70 mph on the highway. Older trucks needed a winter front and Carpet between the grill and rad to do that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The Roar is your fan running, it is normal. If the fan is running the Grill shutters will be open. If you look through the front of your rad you can see the shutters. If you hit the remote start, you can watch them go through their open to close to open again test cycle so you can see how they work. Default truck off is open, as it is if there is a fault thrown.

Up here it gets cold as hell, I love the grill shutters, I would never remove mine. The truck will actually stay at heat at -40 and 70 mph on the highway. Older trucks needed a winter front and Carpet between the grill and rad to do that.
Ain't got no such dee-vice on this here truck. The only thing my key fob does is lock and unlock the tailgate. :anitoof:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Ain't got no such dee-vice on this here truck. The only thing my key fob does is lock and unlock the tailgate. :anitoof:
Well then I guess you have to use the old fashioned remote start, get your buddy to fire it up while you watch.:33:

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well then I guess you have to use the old fashioned remote start, get your buddy to fire it up while you watch.:33:
I'll have to look around and see if I can find one of those somewhere. :emotions34:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
my truck is a 2016
i took this image when i removed the grille

1686271672108.png

This video should explain it

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
my truck is a 2016

View attachment 522717

I just popped the hood, reached in, and twisted each "fin" until it popped out. I didn't remove the grill? Maybe 5th gens have more space.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
That same mechanic made another video that shows what happens if one or another of the slats should pop out on its own & cause a Code.

Usually it is because a slat nearest to the actuator pops out

In that other video, he reaches down, like you did & repairs the code

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks.

This may be unrelated, but I have noticed the last couple of times when I have gotten out of the truck with the engine running after a 30+ minute drive in 90+ degree heat the engine is roaring pretty loud. Is this normal, and would it have anything to do with the shutters?
You also probably have 2 fans, (Hemi V8). One is the clutch fan, direct off the engine, tied to the RPM of the engine.

The other is the electric rad fan, which is tied to some stupidly high engine temp/AC on. But yeah, they do seem to be pretty loud if the outside temp is hot. My rebel doesn't have the shutters, but still has the frame (from factory), and it's loud as hell in a parking lot in summer.

KentuckyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Had to take mine in and have it serviced because I got the AGS code. Thankfully being in Western Kentucky they were stuck in the open position.

Silby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my truck is a 2016

View attachment 522717

I have a’14 Ram and my check engine light came on and it said it was a shutter code. This causes my auto start to shut off in 5 seconds. Are they stuck or what?

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a’14 Ram and my check engine light came on and it said it was a shutter code. This causes my auto start to shut off in 5 seconds. Are they stuck or what?
Do you have the AAD (automatic air dam) ? If so unplug it and see if your shutters do the self test.

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just because I'm that guy...it's actually called Active Air Dam. :cheers:
Active sounds better. I’m still struggling with all the synonyms. Thanks for being “that guy”

TakingOverGo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Guys this is the wife ... sorry, hope I'm not intruding? But trying to get the truck to the dealership is putting us off until next Wednesday. Code didn't actually show up, but AutoZone ran a scan and it said P1D73 - Active Grill Shutter Assembly. My husband is having problems with his eyes and I have to drive the truck. He refuses to ride in my car because he's "cramped".
Anyway, is there anything I can do in the meantime. They said it was okay to drive, but I'm not quite sure how much information was given on the appointment call?
I have taken the cover off and actually looked down at them ... besides being dirty with the rest of the engine bay (I cleaned them off individually, I did not see anything blocking them. They were wide open, and the truck had run for a while in this Texas heat when the engine light came on. Is there a chance they need any type of lubrication, maybe?
I would appreciate anything you got? Be kind ... :angels2:

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Unless they are closed and blocking air to the radiator, or you are experiencing an over heating situation you should be fine. Certain features, if you have them, may not work until repaired. Think (remote start)