Grinding noise coming from the engine bay when hard accelerating at 5-6k RPM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Could it be odd harmonics from the intake (??). Do you have the old air box you can stick back on (to test)?

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
The motor mount is my guess also. GM late 60's small blocks did that, as the small block had poorly designed engine mounts since it came out in 55. The engine could "stretch" the rubber - engine would move up and fan blade hit the plastic radiator shroud. Open the hood have someone foot brake it. add some throttle, watch and listen. Had one do it some bad that when the customer stood on it the engine would cut in and out (as if key was being turned on and off) Engine moved enough so that the tin heat shield around the exhaust manifold would flex and touch the large Battery connection on the starter Kill everything - engine shut off, started back down, it started back up, and REPEAT!!
DO not stand in front of vehicle unless you can trust the person operating the brake and throttle. Believe me I know what can happen!! These got so BAD that GM recalled them and added steel cables to the engine ( not to "fix" the problem) but to prevent the movement, Would have cost a lot more to redesign the block!

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If anyone can figure this out these guys can.
You should answer all questions and prolly provide a longer vid like wildone suggested.
What I heard from the brief vids sounded normal to me....or mine is really screwed up...but I don't know half of what these fellas know here.

OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could it be odd harmonics from the intake (??). Do you have the old air box you can stick back on (to test)?
I was hearing the noises even before I put on the cold air intake

OP
OP
SugaryClapz

SugaryClapz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If anyone can figure this out these guys can.
You should answer all questions and prolly provide a longer vid like wildone suggested.
What I heard from the brief vids sounded normal to me....or mine is really screwed up...but I don't know half of what these fellas know here.
Yeah, I will. The vids are not doing justice of what Im hearing in the truck tbh.