Grinding noise (slip strike) not covered under warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My 2020 Rebel has 30k miles on it, and started making this grinding noise when I come to a stop. I took it in to the dealership and they said it's the brake pads and isn't covered under warranty because the brake pad warranty is only 12k miles. They said it's just noisy pads, and they said it's called "slip strike," which I've never heard of. I've also never had brake pad issues on any of my Rams, except normal wearing down around 50-75k miles. The dealer wanted $800 for front pads and rotors, so I took it to a good mechanic that does brakes and he looked at them and said there's nothing wrong with the pads, they aren't worn down or worn uneven, and the rotors look fine. He said the noise could be coming from the brakes, or possibly not, but if it's coming from the brakes it's likely a small piece of metal imperfection that would either go away with new pads, or perhaps may just wear down and go away with time.

I was just wondering if anybody had an input on this. I've never heard of "slip strike" in my life. I'm a bit concerned it could be something else, and my warranty will be up in about 4 months.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My son just asked me about the same issue on his 2021 Land Rover. Grinding when slowing down or stopping. He builds homes so I asked if he was ever on dirt roads or muddy fields. He said daily. I said it’s normal. I get it from time to time on everything I ever drove. Eventually it goes away….yes, even on a $150k Land Rover.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Did he pull the pads and look at the surfaces or just visually inspect without disasembly? I have seen impurities in pads before that only show up after *** miles.

OP
OP
Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Did he pull the pads and look at the surfaces or just visually inspect without disasembly? I have seen impurities in pads before that only show up after *** miles.

I'm not sure what the dealer did, but the normal shop said they put my truck on a lift and took the tires off and inspected the pads and said they were totally fine. I don't know if they actually took the pads off. They did say that the sound is likely an impurity or piece of metal as a defect in the pad, and that replacing the pads will likely make it go away, but that it was also likely to go away with time. And to be honest, I do think it's starting to make less noise over the past few weeks. If it persists for a long time thought I am going to just bite the bullet and do new pads. Just a shocker, I have never replaced pads on a truck before 50k miles.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
We had noise from front brakes on one of the wife's new Journeys and come to find out it was grit somewhere between brakes and backing plate once it was cleaned and lubed it went away ( Dodge had the car for 4 days before they found out what the problems was) about a year later it started to come back after being on a dirty wet road not sure if this is what you have but ya never know now days...