Grinding/rumbling sound coming from front right side of truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum
Hi, I hope I am posting this to the right spot. I have a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 that today started to make a grinding/low rumbling sound from the front right side when I brake. I took a couple of photos under the truck and it looks like something is going with just inside the right wheel (a leak maybe)?

I have attached a photo of the other side for comparison.

Any advice much appreciated! Thanks.

20180828_133511.jpg

20180828_133522.jpg

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
IF it happens only while truck is moving -

well first maybe brakes--caliper or loose pieces.

next a wheel bearing.

lastly ball joint broke.

all can make those sounds

if you are not moving its engine related. water pump or worse

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Check the front diff oil level. From that picture it looks like front outer axle seal is gone for sure. Also check the axle itself for any grooves in it that may cause a new seal to fail quickly. The grinding sounds like you describe are often wheel bearing, but low oil in the front diff could cause grinding of a much more expensive nature. You have to pull the bearing and hub assembly to replace the seal anyways as well as the diff cover. so I'd replace the seal and check all the parts as you take them out and there may be other things wrong.

Bryen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi I had a similar noise from the front, it turned out to be the Harmonic Balancer slowly grinding its way through the timing cover. I was hunting for that noise for weeks and only came across the problem after deciding to have the oil crank leak fixed...

Screenshot 2018-10-02 at 21.47.32.png