(groan, oh no, not again!) 2008 Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah yeah yeah, another headlight thread. Got my 2008 1500, with oem head and fog lights. All are sun damaged so looking to upgrade. Ive about gone nuts looking at the different lights, do ill throw out the requirements:

Looking for bright. LED is ok.

Dont need neon glow, LED flash, CCFL, DRL.

Would like to replace OEM fog lights with something close to a driving light.

Would like a headlight where low beam stays on with highs. Probably mean OEM with a good LED bulb is out, but this is not set in stone.

Why are headlights sold for 3rd grn listed as good for 2002-2005, and 2006-2008
Arent they all 3rd gen?

What say you?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yeah yeah yeah, another headlight thread. Got my 2008 1500, with oem head and fog lights. All are sun damaged so looking to upgrade. Ive about gone nuts looking at the different lights, do ill throw out the requirements:

Looking for bright. LED is ok.

Dont need neon glow, LED flash, CCFL, DRL.

Would like to replace OEM fog lights with something close to a driving light.

Would like a headlight where low beam stays on with highs. Probably mean OEM with a good LED bulb is out, but this is not set in stone.

Why are headlights sold for 3rd grn listed as good for 2002-2005, and 2006-2008
Arent they all 3rd gen?

What say you?
You are correct that the 2002-2008 model years are considered 3rd generation trucks. The difference is in the front end. A body style update occurred for the 2006 MY which update the headlamp assemblies, the grill and the front bumper cover. The 2005 headlamps are an entirely different shape than the 2006 MY.

Headlamp lens/cover refinishing kits are really good these days. I repair your style of lamp all the time. If you take your time doing the prep work with the wet sanding process you can make them look new when performing the final plastic lens polish.

The whole process is easier a d you can get better results if you remove the headlamp assemblies from the truck and work in them on the bench. I use either the Mothers NuLens kits every day and these kits do great.

No need to replace the entire headlamp assembly unless there is damage that is beyond repair. If the lens covers are just faded by the sun then that can be remedied. Here is a link to the kit I use on all of my customers vehicles...

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...s-nulens-headlight-restoration-kit/mthd/07251

If you can wait a day or two you can save $10.00 by ordering from Amazon.

OP
OP
Phillyrube

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No can do. Previous owner tried but once that UV coat is gone, its gone.

Fog light took a rock.