Groaning in drive train on cold mornings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mehgyver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
Since it started getting really cold, first thing in the morning when I get in to go to work, put the truck in reverse and reverse out the like 40ft of driveway during that reverse action I get a pretty loud "groaning" is the best word I can come up with to describe it coming from what sounds like the drive train but its hard to tell from inside the cab. Goes away as soon as I put the truck in drive and doesnt come back until the next morning.

Any of my fellow out door parking people experience anything similar?

Last edited:

Theo2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I noticed groaning during cold weather as well. However, now I remote start each morning and let it idle until auto shuts down. No more groaning. These trucks make all kinds of noise if not warmed up.

One thing I can’t figure out is a loud pop during first ignition after a long period. Sounds like it’s coming from behind while parked.

OP
OP
Mehgyver

Mehgyver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
Did the above happen everytime he was in reverse? I only hear mine first thing in the morning each day, then Im good, reverse or otherwise. Ill check my rotors in the morning for the black dots.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My truck does this also. I get the groan and some noise from the brakes every morning when I am reversing out of my shop. Never makes the sound the rest of the day. I figure that it is just from all the brine solution that our city does now. The salt solution rusts the rotors a bit each night. I had it down in the warm area of the country for a couple of weeks and never heard a sound out of the brakes.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I saw the thread title my reaction was," well hell, I groan when its cold out and I'm driving" lol
Sorry, no help to the thread

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a lowly 4th gen owner here :) but the brake thing makes sense, kind of.

Ever washed your car and noticed rust on the rotors? And the first few times you apply the brake after washing the car the brakes act a little "weak" and make noises. Once that thin layer of rust is worked off, everything works better and no more noise.

Im guessing its the same deal here, just like the dealer mentioned (who knew!!!??? a good dealer!)

TcRoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hell I do this every morning when I get out of bed and do the Morning shuffle across my room to the bathroom.. on another note my truck does this on occasion as well, just first thing in morning backing out of driveway. Than don't hear again rest of day. I just figured overnight condensation from the freezing temps. I need my warm weather back ,, my bones can't take it anymore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lots of talk about brakes, are you holding the brake while reversing and hearing the sound?

I can confirm my brakes groan after sitting all night, it only shows up when I hit the brakes, and lasts only a little while til the skim of rust on the rotors (or ice layer) burns off. If I don't hit the brake I don't hear the sound however.

EDIT: Do you set (or have it to auto) on the electronic parking brake? If so I wonder if part of it is dragging a bit even though it isn't showing as engaged I assume.

Jasnh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here’s what I found and what’s being addressed.df17ea202dc25c2ec35ee0994e056ee6.jpg
Took my 2019 BigHorn in to the dealer today for this same problem, I also noticed I had the Black Dots on the rotors. I also had occasional break squeal.
Apparently there is a TSB out on this as they will be replacing rotor and pads, front & back. Had to order the parts, will get done in about 2 weeks.

OP
OP
Mehgyver

Mehgyver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
its warmed up here recently, I'm not hearing it in the morning anymore

ICU2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/etorque
For those of you with the chewbacca call when backing up in the morning

I've attached a TSB for this reverse brake noise (Rear Brake Noise pdf file) below.

Also if you are having squealing from the front brakes...first pic are parts. The replacement ones have a larger groove in the middle as shown on left in picture.
S1805000008 is reference.

I've been battling my dealership since last October and never could repeat the issue and they claim to have never heard of it. Finally parts are on order (backordered) and will get rid of this awful reverse backing noise soon.

1544815882689.jpeg

Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 8.43.36 PM.png

Attachments

• Rear Brake Noise.pdf
    28.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Joeyfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2019 Ram started doing this in the cold last year. I had it at the dealership 3 times where they ended up replacing front and back brakes. Of course by the time of the last service call the weather got warm and the sound stopped so I thought it was fixed. (So did the dealership). But now that the cold weather is back my truck groans just as loud in the mornings again although this time I do hear it when I reverse anytime it’s been sitting for a few hours. Very frustrating.