Groaning start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
'07 Hemi. Recently bought it used, has 59,000 mi. When the starter is engaged, the motor cranks over a little slowly for the first few revolutions and sounds like a motor that is seriously out of time (too far advanced). Then as it continues to crank it turns over normally. Otherwise, seems to run like it should; normal power & gas mileage. Anybody else ever experience this?

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Weak battery?

Octane

Reaction score
Why do you think starter? How much is that gonna cost me?
You can have it tested but if its high mileage or not sometimes the starter drive will go bad and turn engine slower than normal. If its not battery or bad connections it'd be a good thing to look into. Cost of replacement I don't know what a remanufactured unit will cost on a hemi.I've not owned a Ram long enough to replace one yet. But do a load test on your battery if you haven't yet.

OP
OP
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check Rock Auto for prices. They usually have good prices on parts.
Doubt I would do the job myself, as it's a bit hard for an 80 yr old to "get out & get under". I'm wondering what total parts & labor would come to. Naturally, I'm not going to replace the starter until it gets a lot worse than this.
That said, can anyone think of any other cause for the initial slow crank?

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Starter, battery or connections are about the only things I can think of that would cause it to turn over slowly.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you checked your connections from battery to block, Is the cable corroded of either end under the insulation, slit the cable and inspect.