Ground problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D150dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
in my 81 that a slant six, the fuel gauge doesn’t go past the E Mark, I mean once the key is on it goes up just a little but doesn’t pass E I know there’s at least half a tank. A lot of people said it’s the ground just to double check where can I find the grounds on the truck?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
generally most of the time the issue is with the sending unit. best to pop the wires off the sending unit and touching them together. if everything is working like it should the gauge should read full. the wires pull off but might require some twisting to help get them off.

what part of Ontario are you from?

OP
OP
D150dude

D150dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
generally most of the time the issue is with the sending unit. best to pop the wires off the sending unit and touching them together. if everything is working like it should the gauge should read full. the wires pull off but might require some twisting to help get them off.

what part of Ontario are you from?
So I’m guessing I willl have to drop the tank, I’m from Northwestern Ontario, Fort Frances right on the USA border

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
to replace the sending unit ya you pretty much got to drop the tank but best to test things first just in case. it really only takes a couple seconds to test things.

ah ok. you are definitely far up there. i am in orangeville about an hour northwest of toronto

OP
OP
D150dude

D150dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
to replace the sending unit ya you pretty much got to drop the tank but best to test things first just in case. it really only takes a couple seconds to test things.

ah ok. you are definitely far up there. i am in orangeville about an hour northwest of toronto
Holy man to get to the wiresbis a ruff job, I’d be better to take the bed off

OP
OP
D150dude

D150dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Someone said it’s a sealed unit that the tank would have to be changed is that true?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
it is sometimes easier to take the bed off or drop the tank. i got pretty easy access to mine but i don't recommend it. no it is not a sealed unit but there is the possibility the you may have to use a heat gun to free the plastic lock ring from the tank. i think i have don 2 or 3 and still really don't now the best way to do it.
mdmLbWWp8OZnri3rp1Th6PDvhbBOUZMPucd0=w1129-h635-no.jpg
v5sXmu5WZ084HaB9XswdSGjywkj4LCA3mQ2Wo=w848-h635-no.jpg