Ground up rebuild on (2008-2013) 4.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlacksheepRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7(2008-2013)
Hello all, in the process of rebuilding my '08 4.7 and looking for fellow Ram owners that have been down this fairly neglected rabbit hole before... I've been turning wrenches for quite some time and with 130k, bleeding oil from both front/rear seals, a slipping clutch, wrecked engine mounts, blown head gaskets, timing chain due for servicing, and "lifter noise" that wont go away in my quad cab, time for a rebuild...
I'm already about half way into the rebuild process and will elaborate shortly, but just figured id introduce myself, and throw out some "feelers" to who's been down this road before, and knows what's up... Some parts ill be reusing, others will be upgraded for strength, and reliability, As I wouldn't say i'm an abuser by any means... I like my truck...I just expect a little more from a Work/Camp rig and don't feel like breaking down in the middle of who knows where... Weekend Camp trips can bring some pretty rugged terrain... Looking for suggestions for some aftermarket forged rods but would like to stay w/ some quality aftermarket hypereutectic pistons ...

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just go with a Jasper reman..... built tough and save you some stress!........you won't need forged rods in a 4.7 unless you are planning some kind of crazy boost....

this is just my opinion..... but good luck with whatever you decide

OP
OP
BlacksheepRam

BlacksheepRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7(2008-2013)
Yeah, Jasper is definitely a quality place, and turns out quality rebuilds, but when I recieved a quote almost 4 months ago of close to 5k, I decided then it was time for rolling up the sleeves and doing it myself... I wish I would have done more homework prior to that decision, as this engine has very minimal aftermarket support.... Especially for the '08 ram trucks with the 4.7...
On a good note, Today amongst my daily 4.7 homework and knowledge gathering I stumbled onto www.EngineBuilder.Com and found an Awesome Article on rebuilding "Chryslers Revised Engines" and Saw a familiar driver side cylinder head pictured in the header of the article... An '08 Ram 4.7 head circling the egr valve for some reason...idk So reading on, it finally started talking about my beloved project engine and all the revisions.... I particularly liked the section on connecting rods as from all the wonderful readings ive found elsewhere on the net, I was under the assumption that I had the "lightened con rods and piston assembly of the powder metal variety.... And boy was I wrong... Being the quad cabs are considered a full size truck, Chrysler didn't install the lightened rotating assembly as I thought prior but used Traditional Forged rods instead of PMR's... I am super pumped!!
Another good read i found was @ www.Allpar.com which covered the 08 revisions and also backed up the statement of the Ram trucks getting the 36MnVS4 forged steel rods... But todays find sealed the deal... Being I currently know I dont have the powder metal rods, but the Real Deal rods which already have the new .50 over 9.8:1 pistons hung... Ill be sending them torqued to the machine shop and have the big ends checked for taper and wear, and judging from the minimal if any wear that was on the bearings, I could be putting the new rings on within a week or so... For now, its been a good day, got to hang out with the kiddos, learn about having forged rods, and now time to go cut the grass...Enjoy

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210714-164813.png
    Screenshot_20210714-164813.png
    295.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20210714-163311.png
    Screenshot_20210714-163311.png
    313.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 16262993650466561909199016160817.jpg
    16262993650466561909199016160817.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 4