Guys using a dsp, any problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ss600r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm starting to plan my build and am wondering if anyone using a dsp is having issues with parking sensors, nav, text to speech ect.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I have the Kicker Smart Amp DSP KEY180.4, no issues whatsoever.

OP
OP
ss600r

ss600r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also I'm keep to 8.4 in the dash, non alpine system.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I did as well. Shouldn't interfere.

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im interested in this upgrade as well. Is there any install tutorials?

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Im interested in this upgrade as well. Is there any install tutorials?
Depending on what dsp, you should find many tutorials on install and tuning...tuning will be ball park, fine tuning is vehicle, speaker, speaker location dependent

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
No issues. Went with the Dayton Audio DSP. No issues at all except it is a little slow to get booted up (you can hear it send the un-adjusted audio through, then the signal levels would change, and then the time alignment). Just need to install my delay relay for my CH41 and that should go away.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Have the AX-DSP and no issues to date. Has Chime Control to lower tones if needed.

It does't control BT volume, however, so phone conversations though the radio are loud since the HU automatically jumps to vol level 15 for BT apparently. Have to quickly turn it down when using phone. Still looking for a way to change that somehow

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Curious if anyone has played with speaker offset/delay settings in their DSP? I think most offer some sort of adjustment? I played with mine the other day and it definitely moves the sound around. I was just guesstimating offset distances so didn't save it, but think I will go back out with a tape measure and try it for real.

wubbachicken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Have the AX-DSP and no issues to date. Has Chime Control to lower tones if needed.

It does't control BT volume, however, so phone conversations though the radio are loud since the HU automatically jumps to vol level 15 for BT apparently. Have to quickly turn it down when using phone. Still looking for a way to change that somehow
So, no BT control volume means there would be issues with listening to music stored or streamed on the phone? That's where all my music comes from

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
No you can change the volume normally, ie on the HU or the device. BT works fine/normally for playing music, etc.

I was just looking for a way to change the "default" volume level of 15 when it connects to my phone for a call, as 15 is very very loud on my amped setup. On the normal HU it would be fine though.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Curious if anyone has played with speaker offset/delay settings in their DSP? I think most offer some sort of adjustment? I played with mine the other day and it definitely moves the sound around. I was just guesstimating offset distances so didn't save it, but think I will go back out with a tape measure and try it for real.

Set correctly, the time delay makes the stereo staging incredibly lifelike. Right now in my truck the vocalists sound like they’re sitting on the center of my hood. Even though the sub is behind me the bass sounds like it’s coming from the front footwells. My installer is also an excellent tuner.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Set correctly, the time delay makes the stereo staging incredibly lifelike. Right now in my truck the vocalists sound like they’re sitting on the center of my hood. Even though the sub is behind me the bass sounds like it’s coming from the front footwells. My installer is also an excellent tuner.

Nice yeah it definitely made a difference, I'm going to put some time into tuning it for sure I think.

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ive heard some amazing systems with high end time correction setups, but never in a Ram. I used Amp AP4 interface, but no DSP. Everything worked as it should, and that unit has an optional fiber optic output to run to a DSP. I would look at going that route. Good luck!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
DSP doesn't have to be high end, anymore.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
@TomT couldn't agree more, even some cars have it from the factory now.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Absolutely! In the last couple of years the entry price for a decent DSP has come way down.
So true...so many peeps get ****** over the new stuff, you can find "older" Helix units for super cheap

jackal98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi. 5.7
I have the Kicker Smart Amp DSP KEY180.4, no issues whatsoever.

I saw Five Star Car Stereo (YouTube channel) install this system in a car and said it was a real difference maker.
How can the Key be set up with a subwoofer since the sub has to be unplugged during the install process?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I saw Five Star Car Stereo (YouTube channel) install this system in a car and said it was a real difference maker.
How can the Key be set up with a subwoofer since the sub has to be unplugged during the install process?
We may something as a CES thing. It doesn't do time alignment for sub (KEY180.4) But for the front stage imaging, its amazing, most cant believe its a $200 piece!
My truck is literally night and day.

Now, I have the KEY180.4 on the KSC3504 in the dash and midbass 6x9....so will pull doors out, add the Kicker QSC694 and add a CXA360.4, 75x4 power, and use KEY as preamp...so keep time alignment.
From 45x4 to 75x4.