Guys with the best Fore Thoughts 3.6 --> 6.2/6.4

Atcer2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As an old dog I agree with the prevailing wisdom in this thread. Focus on building assets not spending and increasing your debt load. You got a good deal on your tradesman. Pay it off as you won’t find that kind of deal in today’s marketplace. I’m financially secure but didn’t want to give anyone my hard earned money so I purchased a 2018 3.6L CPO BigHorn in the summer of 19 before the Covid fiasco. Back then Ram couldn’t give away the V6 crew cab 4X4 with the 3.21 gearing. I don’t tow and my receiver hitch has never been touched. I do use it for hauling and payload is about the same as the hemi. I do hike frequently and use the 4X4 on rough roads but enjoy modest MPG with the little power plant. As others have said you can do pretty much the same with the V6 as the hemi and you bought in before the craziness. Don’t spent on a whim or on something that hasn’t materialized. Enjoy your vehicle, you can add features to your present truck far cheaper than the cost of a new one. Add the 8.4 radio with the automatic climate control, auto dimming mirrors or upgrade the suspension if you’re bored.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The fuel bill from a 6.4 will get old for you very quickly.

Have you ever thought of moving somewhere else in the country where you can work a similar (or vastly different) job for much more money with less overhead, less taxes, less cost of living? Working your ass off for another 5 years for an extra thousand or two a year isn’t going to give you the financial freedom where you don’t sweat putting $140 of gas in the truck every 4 days.

If the $800-1200/m is on top of your $50k/yr salary then great! But if it’s just lumped into your pay to where you’re using it in general with all the other bills and such then you’re still only pulling $24/hr and a $60000+ HD is going to command a very high debt load.

Last edited:

Chrisjoi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 etorque
Another aspect to consider is inflation. If most of us had known how high prices would be right now we would have bought a new truck two years ago. The big question is do you think prices will go down or continue to go up? I'm 52 years old and have never seen inflation reverse itself. Point being, the trucks are not going to get any cheaper. If you can afford it and want it then get it know. Last month I bought a new Ram and paid 10,000 more USD than I would have two years ago. But I wanted it and I can afford it.