Guys with the best Fore Thoughts 3.6 --> 6.2/6.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rajingles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm on here trying to figure some sh*t
Where are the guys who love crunching numbers and information??
My dream truck is a Heavy Duty Crew Cab Long Box overlander style. Started this obsession in 2016 when I witnessed a lifted 7.3 OBS crew cab long box at yellowstone.

Some background info. Salary was 42,500 CAD before taxes at time of purchase 1.5 years ago. Now its 50k. My job pays me 0.50 cents a KM for driving to and from site. Which can differ per month but will be between 800-1200 CAD a month before subtracting gas and maintenance costs. I live in Toronto. 10-15 mins from any highway and travel about 100-150km per day. I drive about 40,000km annually.

I bought my first truck 1.5 years ago brand new, in a rush with only 3 days to buy a truck and absolutely no knowledge of vehicles. 3.6 v6 tradesman quad with 3.55, 4x2. My Budget was 20,000 CAD but Ticket price was 30,000 CAD which was dirt cheap for any brand new truck. Payments are 475 monthly, as insurance 265 as a second driver. My main goal was to get the cheapest, low km truck with warranty on it for added security due to high mileage driving and I didnt want to get into a money pit. I also didnt want to go broke running an HD with problems on 42k. Also I didnt want to spend even more and still not have my dream truck.. so el cheapo I went.

I really want to get into my dream truck and I have a hard time planning it from my circumstance now. I have 22k plus whatever interest owing on the v6. I use my mileage profit on the financing. I plan on staying in my current job for another year, hopefully with a bump in pay. Gas prices are high af... but that doesnt matter now, more like 10 years from now??? ...also truck prices...WTF?

I just want the size, crew cab, long box. however I would want to keep the truck forever, if economically possible. I took the 1.5 years to learn as much as I can about truck mechanics and marketing/dealers. It seems that a ford or ram gasser would be the choice since it would be a daily but id rather the ford as it takes 87, im in the city and diesels have too much maintenance issues for a working man.

I dont really care about the best performance in terms of power. I do want the fuel mileage to reasonable, and decent ride with good suspension and payload. I dont plan on towing much.

Should I pay out this v6 and keep it as a ****** ( my plan, also to start a business in 22' and put that truck to work ) and get the HD . Should I reduce the financing more and trade it? Is it even possible to buy an HD in this fuel and economic climate??

Was thinking a pre emissions diesel would be a stellar option however those are a premium now.

What salaries do you need to run an HD as a daily and also what do insurance rates look like. I also dont plan on buying a home, going to reinvest into my parents house more than likely. IE another reason for wanting an HD/starting a business.

Should I just suck it up and get an f150 crew cab and 6 foot box??? all the BS for like 9 inches. But this is the dream.

Let me know what you think.

Raj

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What exactly do you need the HD truck for now that the 3.6 cant do and also in 22' for your business?

Do you need to tow daily, tow heavy, or fulfilling a huge want/must have?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
IMHO, keep pushing your current truck. When you start your business and need an HD, then buy it at that point (used is fine too, diesels can run longer than gassers).

Diesels do poorly in the city and poorly with short runs. They are a giant ball and chain (financially) if you don't need to use diesel and will cost you much more than your 3.6 to own. If it's not making you money, then you don't need it. (Not saying you can't own one if you enjoy a diesel, but it will cost you more than gas and significantly more than your v6).

OP
OP
rajingles

rajingles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What exactly do you need the HD truck for now that the 3.6 cant do and also in 22' for your business?

Do you need to tow daily, tow heavy, or fulfilling a huge want/must have?
Honestly this is currently a want. The 3.6 covers all my needs literally however thats it. Theres not much pleasure to it. I want a truck thats a workhorse, overlander and a daily all in one.

Id like to start a small disposal/hauling business since this truck has a great amount of payload, am also getting rid of the cap.

I love road tripping and camping so I want a big ******* to haul all of it comfortably. 6 foot bed is kinda small. The 3.6 is snail when loaded. I also dont want to get a truck thats between the v6 and the HD because it will take longer to obtain the HD. I also like the straight axles which I think trucks should all have.

Im also a part time junker so when I see stuff on the streets I can grab it easily than try to jigsaw it in. I carry at least 1/3 of my bed full on all times, with tools and equipment. The payload is awesome on this v6, it does squat time to time.

OP
OP
rajingles

rajingles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMHO, keep pushing your current truck. When you start your business and need an HD, then buy it at that point (used is fine too, diesels can run longer than gassers).

Diesels do poorly in the city and poorly with short runs. They are a giant ball and chain (financially) if you don't need to use diesel and will cost you much more than your 3.6 to own. If it's not making you money, then you don't need it. (Not saying you can't own one if you enjoy a diesel, but it will cost you more than gas and significantly more than your v6).
Ive been thinking that this is the best route economically. Im only 27 so i have some time.II mostly want it for a daily and to be there for side hustles and to take it camping/roadtripping. I dont know what the future holds for fuel and HD trucks because it seems to be getting worse. Therfore id like to drive to sooner than later when its still relatively cheap and when im young gun.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ive been thinking that this is the best route economically. Im only 27 so i have some time.II mostly want it for a daily and to be there for side hustles and to take it camping/roadtripping. I dont know what the future holds for fuel and HD trucks because it seems to be getting worse. Therfore id like to drive to sooner than later when its still relatively cheap and when im young gun.
Don’t know what type of business you plan on starting, but I don’t see many road trips for the few years of start up.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll tell you something you probably don't want to hear. Your two biggest asset right now is time and health. I would focus on your career whether it'd be becoming a supervisor, becoming your own contractor, whatever it is that increases your earning. Take that earning and invest it and over time, it'll grow and lead you to financial freedom.

Back to your original question, the 3.6 is great on fuel, great payload and is more than capable of hauling junk. You could invest in a dump trailer and be able to haul more if things are booming.

When I was 27, I made 80k/yr and almost bought a BMW M3 but I held off. I bought my first house instead and then got married and bought 2 more. The rest is history.

OP
OP
rajingles

rajingles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll tell you something you probably don't want to hear. Your two biggest asset right now is time and health. I would focus on your career whether it'd be becoming a supervisor, becoming your own contractor, whatever it is that increases your earning. Take that earning and invest it and over time, it'll grow and lead you to financial freedom.

Back to your original question, the 3.6 is great on fuel, great payload and is more than capable of hauling junk. You could invest in a dump trailer and be able to haul more if things are booming.

When I was 27, I made 80k/yr and almost bought a BMW M3 but I held off. I bought my first house instead and then got married and bought 2 more. The rest is history.
Ya this makes the most sense to me. Thanks sometimes you just gotta hear it.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As an old dog I agree with the prevailing wisdom in this thread. Focus on building assets not spending and increasing your debt load. You got a good deal on your tradesman. Pay it off as you won’t find that kind of deal in today’s marketplace. I’m financially secure but didn’t want to give anyone my hard earned money so I purchased a 2018 3.6L CPO BigHorn in the summer of 19 before the Covid fiasco. Back then Ram couldn’t give away the V6 crew cab 4X4 with the 3.21 gearing. I don’t tow and my receiver hitch has never been touched. I do use it for hauling and payload is about the same as the hemi. I do hike frequently and use the 4X4 on rough roads but enjoy modest MPG with the little power plant. As others have said you can do pretty much the same with the V6 as the hemi and you bought in before the craziness. Don’t spent on a whim or on something that hasn’t materialized. Enjoy your vehicle, you can add features to your present truck far cheaper than the cost of a new one. Add the 8.4 radio with the automatic climate control, auto dimming mirrors or upgrade the suspension if you’re bored.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The fuel bill from a 6.4 will get old for you very quickly.

Have you ever thought of moving somewhere else in the country where you can work a similar (or vastly different) job for much more money with less overhead, less taxes, less cost of living? Working your ass off for another 5 years for an extra thousand or two a year isn’t going to give you the financial freedom where you don’t sweat putting $140 of gas in the truck every 4 days.

If the $800-1200/m is on top of your $50k/yr salary then great! But if it’s just lumped into your pay to where you’re using it in general with all the other bills and such then you’re still only pulling $24/hr and a $60000+ HD is going to command a very high debt load.

Last edited:

Chrisjoi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 etorque
Another aspect to consider is inflation. If most of us had known how high prices would be right now we would have bought a new truck two years ago. The big question is do you think prices will go down or continue to go up? I'm 52 years old and have never seen inflation reverse itself. Point being, the trucks are not going to get any cheaper. If you can afford it and want it then get it know. Last month I bought a new Ram and paid 10,000 more USD than I would have two years ago. But I wanted it and I can afford it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963