H pipe or x pipe help reduce clapper exhaust noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCarr98Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 Magnum
Hello,

I just got true dual exhaust, high flow cats, 2.5in inlet/4in outlet. And now I have a clapping noise when I am driving. How can I fix the clapping noise? Is my truck safe to drive or will I ruin my engine/ exhaust?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
is this for a 5th gen 1500 with 5.7?

What mufflers are you using?

By true duals do you mean you have the driver side and passanger side exhaust completely seperate, you do not have a H or X pipe?

OP
OP
JCarr98Ram

JCarr98Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 Magnum
Thus is a 2nd gen 1998 dodge ram 1500. There are no muffler just strait pipes high flow cats, and exhaust tips.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
There's your problem, that's characteristic straight pipe sound. Put some mufflers on it, your neighbors will thank you and the clap will go away

OP
OP
JCarr98Ram

JCarr98Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 Magnum
Recently added new exhaust to my 2nd gen dodge ram 1500 5.9l. I got true dual strait pipe with high flow cats and 4inch outlet exhaust tips put on. I know have clapping noise when driving my truck in 1-3 gears. What would help reduce the nosie better x-pipe or h pipe? I know muffler would help but I don't really want them on.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Muffler is your only answer. We all went through that phase when we were younger, you'll grow out of it. I did it on my '05 Chevy back when I was 20. Left the cats, 2.5" pipe with an X out the back with 5" tips, it was terrible. Straight pipes always sound like hot garbage on anything but a race car. Get some straight through mufflers like a Borla XR1 or a Corsa or something. It'll still be loud but will actually have a good tone to it.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Up your pipe size. It's science. Too small the pulses hit eachother and roll in the pipes. Sounds stupid but visualize it as 8 pulses of water in a pipe that are backing up fighting for their position to exit constantly compressing and expanding on eachother.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I'm running 3.5 inch y pipe into a single and the Split into 3 inch duals. I put the muffler back on a couple years ago due to towing trailer and massive amounts of noise giving me headaches after 8 hrs drive haha

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
One problem with getting rid of raspy exhaust is now you'll have great drone

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thus is a 2nd gen 1998 dodge ram 1500. There are no muffler just strait pipes high flow cats, and exhaust tips.

Mufflers would help. Also any cross over pipe, H or X. Anytime you do true duals and no mufflers its going to sound clappy.

OP
OP
JCarr98Ram

JCarr98Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 Magnum
I'm running 3.5 inch y pipe into a single and the Split into 3 inch duals. I put the muffler back on a couple years ago due to towing trailer and massive amounts of noise giving me headaches after 8 hrs drive haha
Thank you. This give me something to think about. So in your opinion if I go 3.5in piping and if I throw in x pipe it should eliminate the clapping noise?

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
If worse comes to worse add a muffler but if you plan on future mods the exhaust will support it no problem

OP
OP
JCarr98Ram

JCarr98Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 Magnum
If worse comes to worse add a muffler but if you plan on future mods the exhaust will support it no problem
Ok yeah, I plan on adding new rocker arms, push rods, bigger cam (boring out .03), I want to pocket porting/ match porting the heads and intake exhaust, and if I can find long tube headers. After all that I should be about 70% done with my rebuild.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
some companies make mufflers with duel chamber exhaust, the quiet ones are triple chamber

I had a set of dual chamber Magnaflows on a 1/2 ton Chevy,
It had a 350 cubic inch 325 horse power engine with a Schneider Street & Strip Camshaft.
There was 'H' pipe at what we figured was the HOT or most restricted point between the exhaust manifold & the mufflers. It was suppose to equalize the exhaust pressure, an X pipe would likely be better
talking inside the cab, a person had to speak up.

People sitting in a vehicle next to mine, could feel the vibration in their seats

Last edited:

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Ok yeah, I plan on adding new rocker arms, push rods, bigger cam (boring out .03), I want to pocket porting/ match porting the heads and intake exhaust, and if I can find long tube headers. After all that I should be about 70% done with my rebuild.
That sounds decent. Spintech makes some cool mufflers too. Buddy has two people on his 70s demon. Loud as hell but it's a "muffler" cobs crawl under shake their head and let him go.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Thank you. This give me something to think about. So in your opinion if I go 3.5in piping and if I throw in x pipe it should eliminate the clapping noise?
You do not want to go dual 3.5" pipe, that will hurt power and also make it super "boomy" inside. Not just drone but "boomy" is the best way I can describe it. Every time I get in my friend's trucks that did 3" duals, I hate it cuz it's so loud inside. Dual 2.5 is enough to support 7-800hp, so you already have too big of pipe for your truck. Think about it, that's 5" worth of exhaust flow (7" if you had 3.5" pipe), 3.5" duals and an X-pipe will only make it boomy-er and lower the pitch but the clap will still be there.

Stop fighting putting a muffler on it, that's the only thing that will make it sound good. An X-pipe will smooth out the sound some, but not enough. I've already done that exact setup on an old truck, it still clapped.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Up your pipe size. It's science. Too small the pulses hit eachother and roll in the pipes. Sounds stupid but visualize it as 8 pulses of water in a pipe that are backing up fighting for their position to exit constantly compressing and expanding on eachother.
Bigger pipes are like echo chambers. They lower the frequency of the sound so it doesn't sound as raspy but it will still "clap", just a lower pitched clap. The only way to smooth out the sound is with mufflers and/or J-pipes. And I don't think J-pipes would even work without a muffler. I have a ton of friends with LS swapped squarebody Chevy's and several of us have near identical exhaust setups. All 6.0s or 5.3s with Borla Pro-XS mufflers, I have 2.5" pipe with an X and it's a smooth, almost Corvette sound and easy to have a conversation in the cab. My buddy Rick has dual 2.5" pipe with no crossover with the Borlas and it pops/claps on hard acceleration, but it's mild thanks to the mufflers and easy to conversate in the cab. Another buddy has dual 3" with an X-pipe and Borlas and it's boomy as hell inside. Can't even hear myself think in his.

OP
OP
JCarr98Ram

JCarr98Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 Magnum
You do not want to go dual 3.5" pipe, that will hurt power and also make it super "boomy" inside. Not just drone but "boomy" is the best way I can describe it. Every time I get in my friend's trucks that did 3" duals, I hate it cuz it's so loud inside. Dual 2.5 is enough to support 7-800hp, so you already have too big of pipe for your truck. Think about it, that's 5" worth of exhaust flow (7" if you had 3.5" pipe), 3.5" duals and an X-pipe will only make it boomy-er and lower the pitch but the clap will still be there.

Stop fighting putting a muffler on it, that's the only thing that will make it sound good. An X-pipe will smooth out the sound some, but not enough. I've already done that exact setup on an old truck, it still clapped.
Yeah I went a head and put on 2x resinators. It has stopped the clapping noise but I lost 20% of sound, which kinda sucks but maybe after a tune it will sound better.