H & S tuner install and still in limp mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rajman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I recently completed a turbo back exhaust, egr and throttle valve delete, new cold air intake. I installed an H & S tuner which over writes the codes. After programming I start it up with no warning lights or codes showing a problem but it still runs in limp mode. Any help of course would be great. I watched several videos with my year of truck and same motor and tranny. It's a 2011 ram 2500 diesel. Thanks

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
How long has it been in limp mode? Did it start before or after the delete? How far have you driven since the delete?

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

OP
OP
R

Rajman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I originally tuned using a predator 2.Ran fine for about 50 miles then went into limp mode. Tuned using a H&S mini maxx. All dtc's cleared but still in limp mode.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I'm not familiar with the predator. Did you return the programming to stock before tuning with the minimax? When you initially tuned with the minimax it should have gave you 2 tuning options. One with and one w/out emissions.

If you didn't return your truck to stock tuning before overwriting it with the minimax tunes limp mode could be maintained as a stored setting ( it's been a few year's since I've though about minimax and delete tuning. I had it on a deleted 2010 6.7L cummins I had)

I think these will be your only options. 1- find a dealer that is willing to work with you while you leave the exhaust as is, return the programming to "stock" (make sure that the minimax isn't vin locked before the dealer does anything) have them flash the pcm/ecm to return it to the original state, that should clear the limp mode. Then re-tune.

2-if a dealer isn't willing to completey work with you while deleted, return everything back to stock have them reflash the truck, drive it a bit make sure everything is good then delete it.

If you haven't already, join cumminsforum and ask their. You may get a better answer or the same. There isn't a ton of cummins guy's here.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I don't know much about them but they'd probably work.

Biggest thing to remember is make sure you return the tuner to stock and it's not tied to your truck. If the pcm gets reset and the tuner is still tied to your truck it most likely will not be able to re-tune it. And unless there are after market companies that can reflash a h&s tuner it'll be a paper weight.