Had to Laugh - RAM Advertising

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I’m not sure about the rest of y’all, but I had to chuckle at RAM making a bit of a pitch to hurry up and get the EV orders in during the Super Bowl. While I’m not a huge fan of the misleading EV propaganda that battery-powered transportation will solve global warming, I do hope that RAM will build an EV truck that gets it right as a fan of the brand overall.

For example, will the RAM EV truck actually perform when towing? When TFL truck had their lightning towing approx 10K pounds, a 120-mile range impact was dismal. Their Hummer EV did slightly better, but it’s so early in this evolution, I do have reservations that RAM can solve the capacity, range/weight issue this early on but one can hope.

For now, I’ll continue to enjoy my CTD, but do hope for the best that RAM will revolutionize this and use it as a springboard opportunity; the same as they did with their interiors. Have you caught on that other brands in particular are now finally offering luxury and tech-packed interiors gen 5 has had for years? :D

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Delivery isn't expected until sometime in 2024, they have some time to work on it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
first thing they all need to do is build better Batteries, Lithium or not
second thing is a again batteries & the Fire hazard to people & the fire department.

It is very concerning that a vehicle that runs on a Lithium Battery & has a fire in the battery area.
Those vehicles fire reignites while it is being transported on a tow truck & even later, after it reaches the Tow Companies Yard

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not only is travel distance an issue so is charging time. The other issue are charging stations. Where to do you charge up.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Depending on location it's more the charging time than finding one. Here not only do the rest stops have them now, but so do most of the better gas stations (large chains). Hell, some of the Wal-marts have them in the parking lots, as well as the mall.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You charge at home. Over night. As one of the suckers that fell for the pre order, I feel totally taken. All this market hype about revolution, really great concept truck designs that offer possible competition to cyber truck, 3 row seating, and what they reveal is my ‘22 1500 with electric powertrain. I rejected my lightening when it arrived last fall. Hopefully in two years RAM will show us something interesting or maybe I reject that too and Tesla has gotten to my 2 millionth in line cybertruck reservation! Hahaha lesson learned, AGAIN, don’t believe anything from a marketing pitch.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Saturday, i was watching
' This Old House '
They were working on an old house, more the size of a mansion
When they were doing the driveway, the installer mentioned that there are 3 types of EV Charging Stations
Type 1 was a unit for homes & was really slow
Type 2 was again for homes & i think he said that it was faster & took something like 4 hours to reach an acceptable charge.

When he was talking charge times, he may as well have been speaking the language of Algebra

He said something to the effect of 100 miles at a speed of X, would take, how many hours of charging ?

Type 3 by the way is for Commercial use

Last edited:

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
first thing they all need to do is build better Batteries, Lithium or not
second thing is a again batteries & the Fire hazard to people & the fire department.

It is very concerning that a vehicle that runs on a Lithium Battery & has a fire in the battery area.
Those vehicles fire reignites while it is being transported on a tow truck & even later, after it reaches the Tow Companies Yard

Per vehicle sold and on the road today, there are more fires on average for ICE vehicles than on battery vehicles per 1000. Just FYI. https://www.carsmetric.com/electric-car-fire-statistics/ Seems hybrids are the worst too. So, by the numbers, if you're worried about fires in a vehicle, seems battery is the way to go.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
What the Department of Transportation, the Fire Department, companies that TOW Vehicles & Storage Facilities are worried about is the Lithium Batteries.
The same Lithium battery can ignite several times
The fire department knows that the Lithium Battery is more likely to reignite than not, so they have to stay at the scene of an accident, when they should be returning to the Fire Station to reload up with water & chemicals, etc.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Type 1 is normal 120 volt household outlet, 1kW power ish. Type 2 is household 220, can be up to 80 Amp circuit, which would be around 14 kW because EV charger will not max out a circuit. Some are as low as 20-30 amp. This is equivalent to an electric dryer sort of power level on a lot of them. Type 3 is fast charger beyond typical household electric capability, usually in the 100-400 kW range and requires special installations of electrical distribution equipment. EV cars are in the 50-150 kilowatt hour capacity batteries, so type 1 could take a week to charge a big EV battery at 1 kW per hour. type 3 is almost always under an hour and could be a few minutes depending on how much topping off you need. Most EV owners have type 2 and can easily charge over night. I have charged not at my house exactly twice in over 2 years with a Tesla.

Kwhr is the capacity, think gallon as in tank size. kW is the power level; think speed of the gas pump, or horsepower. As in pumps gas at 3 gallons per minute. When draining the battery driving we may consider horsepower, but electrically it’s all kW regardless of the direction in or out of the battery. If we output 5 kW for an hour driving down the road, we have spent 5 kWHr. Not all gas stations pump at the same speed. Likewise, not all chargers dispense energy at the same speed. How low your battery is, speed of the charger, etc all determine charge time because unlike gas, the last gallon goes into the tank more slowly than the first one. Also unlike gas, you don’t “fill” to 100% every time. It’s a waste of your time if you are standing there watching and it’s not good for most of todays battery chemistries.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
That explains why the installer made a reference to an 80% charge being some what normal