Ham Radio Antenna

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well ease of removal and connection goes to nmo.

Yep that's the exact one I looked at earlier. I'll prob order after work. Good length. Almost would clear my barn door. I would imagine you guys have it on the roof?

I have mine on the roof and the SO-239 is just screwing it on and off like an NMO.

U&A has an NMO on his roof as well. If you mount to the roof you will want to get the special holes as for NMO, mounts. Makes it 100% easier when drilling the hole.

Diamond, IMO, makes the best antennas out there for 2m/70cm stuff.

Jet-Stream is hard to beat for the HF world.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have mine on the roof and the SO-239 is just screwing it on and off like an NMO.

U&A has an NMO on his roof as well. If you mount to the roof you will want to get the special holes as for NMO, mounts. Makes it 100% easier when drilling the hole.

Diamond, IMO, makes the best antennas out there for 2m/70cm stuff.

Jet-Stream is hard to beat for the HF world.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

Jet stream

Hard

To beat

Sorry

Jeff

[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Guys quit teasing with your HF chatter. Killin me ha.

I'm holding out. I'll study n test this coming fall/winter. Too many properties and projects during spring summer. Planning on saving up to buy a 991a and get me a couple hf dedicated coax runs outside and get to studying. I have never got to hear hf chatter. So I'm hoping hearing some will motivate

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

I'm holding out. I'll study n test this coming fall/winter. Too many properties and projects during spring summer. Planning on saving up to buy a 991a and get me a couple hf dedicated coax runs outside and get to studying. I have never got to hear hf chatter. So I'm hoping hearing some will motivate

Iv never done HF. Im only on 2m/70cm and now 1.25m

I really enjoy talking to the locals simplex as well as on the repeaters. I hope to get an HF in the next year or so..... i want to talk to AFMoulton on HF[emoji847]

The 991A is a cool radio. You will like it. Iv never used one but iv seen 2 of them in use and it was really cool.

And you might as well get a Yaesu FTM300 or FTM400 and then you can play analog, C4FM, WiresX .....AND you can play APRS and i think you can crossband too (Jeff...? )

IMo the 300 and 400 (depending on your preferences) is hard to beat for a mobil because of how much you can do.

AF has a 300 and another few guys around me have the 400.

The 2 lessons I learned over the past 10 months is

Hight is might (antenna mast)

And

Antenna
Antenna
Antenna
Get a good one.

I was reaching 15miles on 2m simplex with 1 watt on a Baofeng HT when i got my antenna up to 30 feet. Before that it was maybe 10% of that.

Hanover Fiste

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 SLT, 2018 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Iv never done HF. Im only on 2m/70cm and now 1.25m

I've been on HF for only a few years, but it's amazing how far a signal can go if the conditions are right. I'm in FL, and I've made contacts in California, Canada, Brazil, and Slovenia, to name just a few.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Crossband is a go on the 300/400.

HF is where a real radio operator can make their money, IMO.

Australia, South America, South Africa, all over North America and Europe.

That’s the fun part for me.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
All good comments guys. Yeah locally everyone just chats on 2m. Made it easy to want to license. But I can't currently listen to any HF but the idea of globally reaching is cool. I already live under the premise I can be friends with anyone until proven wrong so it's exciting to me.

I went icom on first rig. But I want something more robust on the next one as it will be my base. 220 is opening up around me so I have to look into something for that. Also drm. My antenna situation is good. But height is in some need of help. If I found 10,000 in my backyard I could be in good shape soon.....as long as Milwaukee didn't get too much of it lol.

I'm pacin myself fellows. I'm having fun so far and wanna go farther.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Crossband is a go on the 300/400.

HF is where a real radio operator can make their money, IMO.

Australia, South America, South Africa, all over North America and Europe.

That’s the fun part for me.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

HAY!!
Bro

You sayin im not a real radio operator?

giphy.gif

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

GeometryFletch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I carry a series of lengths I use on a lip mount on the front hood . I use a 19" everyday but carry a 36 or 48", can't remember..it's under my back seat.... in case I break down and need a little length on my side..OR..hike up a mountain with an HT. lol If no cell service of course

Hanover Fiste

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 SLT, 2018 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Question: Can I mount an antenna in the same spot where the satellite antenna is? My 2005 has the satellite antenna near the center back of the cab, and I was thinking about removing the satellite antenna, and putting a 2M antenna in its place.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don’t see why you couldn’t, if you are willing to lose the satellite radio. That is where mine is mounted, right in front of the 3rd brake light.

GeometryFletch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Question: Can I mount an antenna in the same spot where the satellite antenna is? My 2005 has the satellite antenna near the center back of the cab, and I was thinking about removing the satellite antenna, and putting a 2M antenna in its place.
Anything is possible with a little ingenuity. I would disassemble it and make measurements, a template and see how "flat" it really is. A little homework will help. Last thing you want is a leak. If you do, document with pics..it'd be nice to see that done. :)

Elzie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like this thread as I just got my Technician license (KC1QAQ). I am starting the process of looking at a good mobile radio and antenna. My father always wanted me to get my license, but way back in the 70's you needed to know Morse code and that caused me to lose interest. Now that I got my license I have applied for a vanity call sign to get my dad's call sign, W1EQM.

GeometryFletch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yaesu 2 meter. I'll use my HT dual band if needed but I generally monitor and use the WX alert feature for Tornado Warnings when I'm out and about.

Attachments

• IMG_6290.jpeg
    IMG_6290.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6289 2.jpeg
    IMG_6289 2.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 14

GeometryFletch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Anything is possible but sealing up the old hole with a new mount/seal, etc may be an extreme challenge, one that ends in water leaks. Soooo...

I would leave the old one alone and make a new hole for the exact specifications on the new mount to ensure a proper seal if done correctly.

JEDII56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad I stumbled across this thread. Had a 2m/440 radio in my old Ford Exploder and ran it with a mag mount antenna. Need to get said radio in the Ram (2011 1500 Laramie Longhorn) but since it has the shifter in the center console and not on the dash, real estate for installing a radio is almost nonexistent. I'll most likely continue to use the mag mount antenna until I can get an NMO Mount for the roof.

Thanks for all the shared pictures and ideas!

de KJ7SMN

az chip

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I thought this was going to be the Ham thread?? Mounting my radio in '17 Ram Rebel. Looking for clutch delete plate! :superhack: Update, found it. Wiring going in. Great thread. Thanks OP!

de W7FAN

Last edited: