Ham Radio Antenna

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JimReed

JimReed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same question several months ago, and because mine was a brand new truck, I didn't want to drill any holes in it. Here's what I did.
I'm sure there will be differences on the mounting ability for your radio in the cab.

By the way, I changed my call to W7KMA.

Nice video, thank you. One question. When you ran the antenna cable through the body of the truck, was it through one of the large holes on the inside of the body under the hood and where did it come out in the cab?

OP
OP
JimReed

JimReed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use a lip mount on the driver's side back window and run it inside the weather stripping down to the floor. Works great. I don't leave my antenna on, I unscrew the antenna part from the lip mount and store it in a PVC pipe under the back seat.
Took me 10 minutes to mount it.

Do you have a pic?

Lowflyer20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Nice video, thank you. One question. When you ran the antenna cable through the body of the truck, was it through one of the large holes on the inside of the body under the hood and where did it come out in the cab?
The antenna cable and the DC power harness for the radio were run through the same hole. I may not have verbalized it in the video. That was the only hole I had to drill was through the firewall. I just watched my video again and you can see what I'm talking about at 3:02 (engine compartment) and where it popped out at 7:00 (passenger compartment).

OP
OP
JimReed

JimReed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The antenna cable and the DC power harness for the radio were run through the same hole. I may not have verbalized it in the video. That was the only hole I had to drill was through the firewall. I just watched my video again and you can see what I'm talking about at 3:02 (engine compartment) and where it popped out at 7:00 (passenger compartment).

I saw that but thought it was the hot & ground wires...thanks...

Jeff Moreorless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
So a buddy of mine has had a 2014 1500 and now has a 2019 2500, both crew cab. His antenna is connected to the cross bed tool box he has and he removed the little cubbies under the floor mats and had access to the underside of his truck. When he put the cubbies in, there is already a seal on them that formed around the cable and didn't pinch it.

I don't have my antenna mounted on my '07 anymore but I had the fender mount and ran it through the firewall down by the brake pedal and sealed it with silicone.

Good luck.

Para1911A1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All Great info guys!!! I pulled mine out of my 2004, when I got my 2017. Still need to reinstall. So, I'm a little surprised. Nobody included their call sign???

KB6PLW

Frisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lots of hood mounts, is the controversy that large with hood vs. roof? Hood vs roof with magnet vs not drilling hole in roof?
The roof mount provides a better ground plane and offers better performance 360 degrees. The fender mount saves you from drilling through the roof but gives up some performance in the direction away from the hood. The higher roof mount can also be a clearance issue in your garage or parkade. All will perform much much better than a handheld.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Everything with Ham Radio and a Mobile set up is a compromise. What are you willing to compromise.

A fender mint with no holes drilled will work just fine for a 2m/70cm rig. No issues. Would it work better in the center of your roof, of course, but if you don’t want to drill a hole don’t.

Hell do what @U&A did, and run it on your fender, and if you like it that much and want “better” performance, drill the hole and mount it up top.

It’s all about learning and figuring out what works best for you.

We are here to help and offer first hand experience good and bad.

Jeff
KD5ZPN

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

JuSw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here are pictures of the lip mount. Since I don't mount my radio inside because I change radios, I run the wire under the weather stripping up over the door, then down the front end of the door and store the extra wire in a bag under the floor mat. I keep my radio in a padded bag in the floor trap door storage area.

lip mount side.jpg

lip mount bottom view.jpg

OP
OP
JimReed

JimReed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here are pictures of the lip mount. Since I don't mount my radio inside because I change radios, I run the wire under the weather stripping up over the door, then down the front end of the door and store the extra wire in a bag under the floor mat. I keep my radio in a padded bag in the floor trap door storage area.

View attachment 235223

View attachment 235224

Appreciate it. All the input has definitely help confirm the options available. The Ham community certainly seems to be a very supportive group...

OP
OP
JimReed

JimReed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

View attachment 235223

View attachment 235224

Thanks JuSw...

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Appreciate it. All the input has definitely help confirm the options available. The Ham community certainly seems to be a very supportive group...

This has overwhelmingly been my opinion as well

Wilburwoolley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
American Radio Supply has no drill antenna mounts for the NMO series antennas.

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Absolutely!!!

And

Thats what she said[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha.

Alright. As promised.

Dual hood mounts one for scanner one for my icom. Both tram antennas.

My v1 home patrol mounted center and the mag plate for icom 2730a controller. Ignore the messy wiring and blatant color issue. I'll be pulling the pipe out for paint and my large supply of zip ties will help tame the wires. Just haven't spent the time to install because the icom is my only unit and ONCE I GET LEGAL I wanna use it in the house and be happy before it becomes mobile. Lol

Again. My solution IS NOT PRETTY and adjustability requires being home and possibly tools, but I have like 20$ in it. And it's STURDY.

73's.

(No call sign )

ffc4cd86808b08d444da65c25b99c952.jpg
be9bf6a5caa26f482f1d6e0d88491f7e.jpg50771b984ea0a273ca297d609233778c.jpg20210126/c56430412c2c13aabbcf1605eeef514e.jpg[/IMG]

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
I am new to HAM radio and looking to install a radio/antenna in a 2014 1500 crew and was wondering if anyone had HAM or other radio experience and any suggestions on antenna placement and cable run to the antenna without having to drill? Much appreciated.

Well there is a few things to think of. Bands your using defines the type of antenna, off road use again defines placement. On my truck I use off road I have a front push bar mounts. My touring truck i go off and on road. And use a dual band antenna, a
BROWNING BR-180 Amateur Dual-Band Mobile Antenna. If I'm out in Southern Arizona near Yuma. I have a 40ft wire off a pole mounted on the rv and our BaoFeng UV-5R8W since I'm close enough to repeaters the whole winter, and even if I'm out moving around the desert I can still hit repeaters or others in my group, since we all carry radios. I stay away from antennas that have springs, weather can rust the spring and cause problems down the road.
All my regular trucks have a Yssesu Ft 891.
For my rv I have digital data/voice for out in the middle of no where. My rv has a fold mount holding a multi band 2 meter/70cm Dual Band Collapsible Copper J Pole Antenna by KC0SDV.
So application. Application, application is paramount