Hamburger Superchargers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just waiting to get on the dyno!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Make a point of taking it to a 1/4 mile track to.Some of us aren't great believers in dyno numbers and would rather see what the truck will do as far as getting itself down a 1/4 mile.Dyno numbers can be fudged you might say,but it's hard to fudge what the timeslip reads,lol.

Dapk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Make a point of taking it to a 1/4 mile track to.Some of us aren't great believers in dyno numbers and would rather see what the truck will do as far as getting itself down a 1/4 mile.Dyno numbers can be fudged you might say,but it's hard to fudge what the timeslip reads,lol.
I do even one better. I let people drive our vehicles or ride in them when im out on the road. Ive had many fast strip cars that absolutely sucked driving on the street. They were only fun at WOT.

Dapk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also if your only goal is to be the fastest, our kit is not for you. Our goal is to provide the best quality street performance with a warranty and be emissions legal. Actually shifts correctly without lifting to get it to shift. And doesn't need to be retuned because the calibration that comes with our kit works out of the box.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Also if your only goal is to be the fastest, our kit is not for you. Our goal is to provide the best quality street performance with a warranty and be emissions legal. Actually shifts correctly without lifting to get it to shift. And doesn't need to be retuned because the calibration that comes with our kit works out of the box.

Fine and dandy,but make a point of getting a timeslip or 2 for us to. Dyno numbers are for ******** sessions,lets have an actual track pass to see what kind of gains you do get.

Dapk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fine and dandy,but make a point of getting a timeslip or 2 for us to. Dyno numbers are for ******** sessions,lets have an actual track pass to see what kind of gains you do get.
I do plan in going to the track though or at the Hemi shootouts locally.

OP
OP
ScLeCo

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
And doesn't need to be retuned because the calibration that comes with our kit works out of the box.
Yeah, Whipple's tune was dangerously lean at WOT.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yeah, Whipple's tune was dangerously lean at WOT.

My tune from whipple was pig fat rich.

Every company says their kits don’t need a custom tune and that their tunes are good to go. Sure they’ll run and make power, but I’ve yet to see/hear of one that didn’t need work to get the most out of it.

OP
OP
ScLeCo

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426

Every company says their kits don’t need a custom tune and that their tunes are good to go. Sure they’ll run and make power, but I’ve yet to see/hear of one that didn’t need work to get the most out of it.

That’s surprising, 90% of the time f/i tunes are super rich.

My truck threw a P0171 on the base line dyno run.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My truck threw a P0171 on the base line dyno run.

lol that’s crazy. Just goes to show though that it’s unreasonable to expect a tune to be bang on the first time. That’s why I believe it’s very unwise to spend all the money going forced induction and not spending a little more to at least verify if the tune is safe and optimized.

Ya you send them a base log and they build a tune based off that but there’s so many variables that can’t be ironed out with one try. There’s no way to get spark/fuel tables bang on without doing a dyno/road tune or data logging. Where someone lives/environmental conditions/what fuel they have available etc. are all going alter parameters.

Last edited:

Dapk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Can you get a little more hp with a custom tune? Sure.
I'd rather have a 3yr 36,000 power train warranty vs 15-20 extra hp custom tune. Until you have driven a vehicle with our kit, I don't know how you can assume ours is just like the others. Our superchargers spin almost 2x the speed of all our competitors at 1/2 the size. We also build the 1000 hp Yenko Corvettes and Camaros with a warranty as well.

Dapk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lol that’s crazy. Just goes to show though that it’s unreasonable to expect a tune to be bang on the first time. That’s why I believe it’s very unwise to spend all the money going forced induction and not spending a little more to at least verify if the tune is safe and optimized.

Ya you send them a base log and they build a tune based off that but there’s so many variables that can’t be ironed out with one try. There’s no way to get spark/fuel tables bang on without doing a dyno/road tune or data logging. Where someone lives/environmental conditions/what fuel they have available etc. are all going alter parameters.
That has been the case in the past but with current sensors can adjust for a majority of those variables. If you get your vehicle tuned on the ragged edge to get the most hp, it will blow up at some point. Especially if you get some bad fuel, or winter blends, etc. Is it worth the 15-20 hp exta then?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That has been the case in the past but with current sensors can adjust for a majority of those variables. If you get your vehicle tuned on the ragged edge to get the most hp, it will blow up at some point. Especially if you get some bad fuel, or winter blends, etc. Is it worth the 15-20 hp exta then?

Sure your oxygen sensors and knock sensors will adjust for fuel and timing. The problem is especially when it comes to detonation, that the knock sensor and PCM likely won’t be able to pull timing fast enough if for whatever reason timing is advanced to far and rattles a piston. The 5.7 has an Achilles heal with the short top ring land, that makes it very sensitive to that type of thing.

I’m not trying to rag on you or your product. For me though it doesn’t matter who’s kit it is. I’ll always hook up a wide band and HP tuners, even if I don’t change anything, just to check everything and make sure it’s safe, not necessarily to try to make the most power, but to make sure it’s safe.

Your warranty that you offer, is it only applicable from when the vehicle is new? Or does it not start until the product is purchased and installed?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Can you get a little more hp with a custom tune? Sure.
I'd rather have a 3yr 36,000 power train warranty vs 15-20 extra hp custom tune. Until you have driven a vehicle with our kit, I don't know how you can assume ours is just like the others. Our superchargers spin almost 2x the speed of all our competitors at 1/2 the size. We also build the 1000 hp Yenko Corvettes and Camaros with a warranty as well.

When I said “most out of it” I’m not necessarily referring to max hp. I’m referring to a safe tune,drive ability, and fuel mileage. So many tunes from companies offering super chargers make them so fat just to try to make it “safe”. Obviously fuel mileage isn’t the point, however most people that do this to a truck, it’s likely their daily driver. So decent mileage can still be an issue. More important for me is drive ability. In a daily driver form you’ll likely only been in boost 10% of the time, so making sure it drives well is quite important.

Again I’m not ragging on you or your company, just my own personal experiences. I haven’t interacted with anyone that has one of your kits so maybe you guys are different. Till then I remain skeptical. I do look forward to your work with FCA though, and I hope it works out. It would be amazing.

Last edited:

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since the post was about Hamburger's Superchargers I'll chime in.
We just got all the production pieces for my 19 Ram.
The kit makes 575hp/570Tq at the crank. We have not had to pin the crank on the 5.7 for the HP levels we are at in the past 5 years.
Our kit is 50 state legal pending, includes a 3 yr/36k powertrain warranty. We are also almost finished completing to be the official supercharger for FCA and will be available through dealerships!
How are we different?
Majority of superchargers spin around 55k rpm. Ours spins 90k rpm, closer to turbo speed! We use a non-newtonian fluid that is our traction fluid. The gears are planetary and they do not touch. The fluid becomes a solid when sped up and creates a solid contact. (think of the corn starch and water experiment) This also allows almost no noise/whine at all and less heat generated. It is also 1/2 the size of every other kit allowing us to not have to cut up the vehicle on install. Spinning at 90k allows the drivabilty to be incredible. Part throttle there is a few #'s of boost to pull out into traffic without coming on like a light switch compared to most other kits.

I've driven every type of boosted application and our kits drive different than the others. We have no shifting issues. You do not need to go somewhere else to have it retuned for it to drive correctly. From a dead stop it does come on at 3400 and pulls hard all the way to redline with no lift to shift!View attachment 187930 View attachment 187931 View attachment 187933

I've let about 100 shops drive our vehicles and their response is that our kits are the most fun to drive above all others! You don't have to think about making sure your at 3500rpm and in the right gear.
Hamburger's Superchargers are built specifically for street driven vehicles, where our power curves are. Most people think our curves our fake because of how linear they are. LOL

If you want a race setup and make the most HP, then I recommend someone else.

If you want a kit with a warranty, 50 state legal, and one of the most fun kits out there, you won't be disappointed.
The FCA big wigs drove our Jeep and said it was the most fun kit they had ever driven.

We will also be dynoing with stock wheels, 35's, and MBRP exhaust separately to see the power differences.

Give us the dyno print out already, Christmas is just around the corner!

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Especially interested to see what it does in the low end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does a supercharger help with towing? Or does it cause problems with over heating the trans and engine oil?

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
So, finally have some vacation time and got bored tonight poking around on the forum and thought I'd check this post out a bit more. Well, I'll offer some feedback based on my experience doing my own centrifugal supercharger and give some obvservations. I'm no expert, just giving my input from limited experience.

So, biggest questions and concerns:

-Non pinned crank pulley concerns me
-Would want to understand the supercharger operation/mechanicals better. Is it helical cut or straight?-nevermind, watched the youtube video, very interesting plenary setup.
-Intercooler seems a bit small for the application
-The parts are all there, would be interesting to know what spark plugs and injectors were used
-Personally, I wouldn't buy or install this kit without having a local tuner, and I'd certainly have a boost and wideband gauge at a minimum to get it setup right and make sure you don't lean it out and blow a piston
-Another concern; are they running on the stock fuel pump? I see a boost a pump located on the components page on the site, I'd probably at least want that if there's no fuel pump upgrade to make sure it can get enough fuel.

Install Instruction Recap:

-Comes with one stage colder plugs, that's good and makes sense. Wonder what they are
-Interesting that they want to replace the intake manifold gasket, I've never heard of that failing? Haven't read about that on other kits at least, on my setup with 7-8 max PSI it hasn't been an issue.
-Comes with new injectors, that's good. Wonder what they are.
-3 BAR map sensor, that's cool. A bit overkill but no big deal. Doesn't mention that the new sensor probably requires a bit of modification, had to shave some plastic on mine to get it to work, think it was built for the hellcat or a different setup
-Delete shutters and disconnect, makes sense that you need room for an intercooler. Will be interesting to see if they hook anything back up or tune delete it so the CEL doesn't kick in
-Well, the supercharger mounting plates seem robust enough, although M10 bolts?
-Huh, here's where I may have the first problem or question. This kit uses the existing crankshaft pulley, and it doesn't pin it in place. That would worry me, at 8 PSI I'd be worried about slipping the crank pulley, especially on a six rib belt and utilizing the existing belt tensioner? The site lists upgraded tensioners to replace stock but the replacement isn't covered in the instructions.
-Separate SC oil cooler, that's interesting, I do like that the kit maintenance runs for 50k between oil changes.
-Wow, the intercooler seems a bit undersized? Not sure. I went with a much bigger one, at least it has an intercooler! The brackets are decent and at least are ready to go. Only two though? And self tapping screws for the right upper bracket? Looks like you'll get some support from semi-affixed intercooler tubing?
-Speaking of intercooler tubing, is this a 2, 2.5 or 3" setup? Seems like the intercooler piping is pretty small (answered later, intercooler is a 2.5" setup)
-Well, not a big fan of the clamps for intercooler piping, much better clamps out there than the hose clamps they're showing
-I don't know the size of the blow off valve but it seems small to me? Don't know if it's the standard 50-ish MM mount but seems smaller
-Finally a decent clamp for the throttle body at least!
-Guys, the new air intake sensor, can you stretch that cable any tighter? Looks like instead of using a new threaded sensor they just clamp the **** out of the stock sensor
-Comes with a tuned ECU from the company, that's interesting. Hoping/assuming they do follow up or mail tuning, which means you need to capture logs and if you don't have a diablo or something similar you can't upload the new tunes
-The oil filing procedure for the SC requires a vacuum pump?
-Clearenced is a new word. Got to 'clearance' the back of the grill so it fits because of the new intercooler
-OK. Now the fill and pressurize procedure for the 'traction fluid' for the supercharger is interesting. What the heck is 'traction fluid'?

Last edited:

Dapk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry I missed this post but wsnted to reply....

-Non pinned crank pulley concerns me
.... spinning the crank balancer is not an issue 8 lbs boost and under with our centrifugal supercharger, assuming the crank bolt is tightened to spec. At ~ 10 lbs it becomes an issue for sure. Roots style SCs are a different animal as the mass of the rotors are much greater.

-Would want to understand the supercharger operation/mechanicals better. Is it helical cut or straight?-nevermind, watched the youtube video, very interesting plenary setup.
.... The OEM-style superchargers we offer use a state-of-the-art fluid traction drive system to drive the impeller, rather than the traditional gear drive system. This allows the superchargers we offer to spin higher (impeller speeds up to 90,000 rpm vs. aftermarket units @ 60,000 rpm), along with virtually no noise or “gear whine” that is typical of other superchargers. This Traction Drive System transmits power through the friction created between its planetary rollers and a unique hydraulic fluid, rather than through a traditional gear drive. We use a unique traction fluid in the system that is designed to increase viscosity under high surface pressures. This fluid gives the rollers additional “grip” and prevents slippage of the smooth rollers by increasing the friction between the planetary rollers, while also cooling and protecting the system. This traction drive system combined with the latest technology in centrifugal compression provides greater efficiency and less noise. -Intercooler seems a bit small for the application

-The parts are all there, would be interesting to know what spark plugs and injectors were used
.... iridium tipped plugs, 1 step colder, and injectors are ~52 lbs at 58 psi

-Personally, I wouldn't buy or install this kit without having a local tuner, and I'd certainly have a boost and wideband gauge at a minimum to get it setup right and make sure you don't lean it out and blow a piston
.... the calibration provided is certified and validated (has an EO or EO pending) as long as you do not make ANY modifications. If you put on a cold air or other mods, you should have it re-calibrated by a reputable shop, but is no longer certified.

-Another concern; are they running on the stock fuel pump? I see a boost a pump located on the components page on the site, I'd probably at least want that if there's no fuel pump upgrade to make sure it can get enough fuel. - stock fuel pump is adequate for kit as provided.

Install Instruction Recap:

-Comes with one stage colder plugs, that's good and makes sense. Wonder what they are
......... noted above

-Interesting that they want to replace the intake manifold gasket, I've never heard of that failing? Haven't read about that on other kits at least, on my setup with 7-8 max PSI it hasn't been an issue.
.... it is poor practice and not recommended to reuse gaskets once removed. Gaskets are 'crushed' into place and typically do not rebound enough to re-crush to create a proper seal. Not replacing gaskets is a good way to create vacuum leaks and other problems.

Comes with new injectors, that's good. Wonder what they are.
...... 54 lb at 58 psi

-3 BAR map sensor, that's cool. A bit overkill but no big deal. Doesn't mention that the new sensor probably requires a bit of modification, had to shave some plastic on mine to get it to work, think it was built for the hellcat or a different setup
..... chosen for low cost, high availability. Whether it is a 2 bar, 2.5 bar, or 3 bar, as long as the sensor is properly calibrated for, it doesn't really matter.

-Delete shutters and disconnect, makes sense that you need room for an intercooler. Will be interesting to see if they hook anything back up or tune delete it so the CEL doesn't kick in
.... depends on vehicle. there is no CEL visible either way.

-Well, the supercharger mounting plates seem robust enough, although M10 bolts?
..... bolts and sizes vary depending on the kit. All bracket mounting and hardware is stress and deflection tested with FEA during the design process to minimize both.

-Huh, here's where I may have the first problem or question. This kit uses the existing crankshaft pulley, and it doesn't pin it in place. That would worry me, at 8 PSI I'd be worried about slipping the crank pulley, especially on a six rib belt and utilizing the existing belt tensioner? The site lists upgraded tensioners to replace stock but the replacement isn't covered in the instructions.
..... depends on the vehicle application. Whatever tensioner is used, it is adequate for the application with the provided serpentine belt. Not all serpentine belts are created equal and some stretch more or less based on load. Every kit designed is tested for supercharger pulley belt slip on the dyno.

-Separate SC oil cooler, that's interesting, I do like that the kit maintenance runs for 50k between oil changes
..... recommended maintenance on the traction oil is 2 years or 24k miles

-Wow, the intercooler seems a bit undersized? Not sure. I went with a much bigger one, at least it has an intercooler! The brackets are decent and at least are ready to go. Only two though? And self tapping screws for the right upper bracket? Looks like you'll get some support from semi-affixed intercooler tubing?
.....Our intercoolers are optimized for their respective applications. Intercooler size and design is not as straightforward as one would think. Bigger is not always better, and there are many factors that go into heat exchanger design and optimization for the application. Bell Intercoolers has a good FAQ.

-Speaking of intercooler tubing, is this a 2, 2.5 or 3" setup? Seems like the intercooler piping is pretty small (answered later, intercooler is a 2.5" setup)

....depends on application. Typically 2.5 to 3" tubing is adequate. Again, bigger is not always better here.

-Well, not a big fan of the clamps for intercooler piping, much better clamps out there than the hose clamps they're showing
.... depends on the application. We include stainless T-bolt clamps where necessary, and stainless worm drive clamps where it is not necessary. The tubes will not blow off if installed properly.

-I don't know the size of the blow off valve but it seems small to me? Don't know if it's the standard 50-ish MM mount but seems smaller
.... Depends on the application and how much airflow needs to be recirculated, but they are all at least 50mm.

-Finally a decent clamp for the throttle body at least!
.... again, clamp type depends on application, but Dodges typically have a tapered throttle body so much more clamping force is necessary.

-Guys, the new air intake sensor, can you stretch that cable any tighter? Looks like instead of using a new threaded sensor they just clamp the **** out of the stock sensor
.... you don't need a threaded sensor, it only adds cost and additional parts. You can manipulate the harness to make it not so tight.

-Comes with a tuned ECU from the company, that's interesting. Hoping/assuming they do follow up or mail tuning, which means you need to capture logs and if you don't have a diablo or something similar you can't upload the new tunes
..... You do not need to touch the calibration, the calibration provided is certified and validated (has an EO or EO pending) as long as you do not make ANY modifications. If you put on a cold air or other mods, you should have it re-calibrated by a reputable shop, but is no longer certified. This is true of ANY supercharger kit from any manufacturer.

-The oil filing procedure for the SC requires a vacuum pump?
.... no vacuum pump necessary, read the initial fill and bleed procedures. We originally were going to let people fill it either way, but it just added confusion.

-Clearenced is a new word. Got to 'clearance' the back of the grill so it fits because of the new intercooler - You need to make a spot for the intercooler tube to go
.... Modification of the plastic air deflectors is much better than just removing them completely. The vehicle's factory radiator is typically "sealed" to the front grille opening to maximize the high pressure zone in front of the radiator. Sure, we can just take out the plastic panels instead of eliminate them, but that would just hurt the cooling ability of the system. If for some reason you ever decided to go back to stock, the plastic part is cheap to replace.

-OK. Now the fill and pressurize procedure for the 'traction fluid' for the supercharger is interesting. What the heck is 'traction fluid'? - it is the working fluid in the system that is essential to how the supercharger traction drive operates.

... Explanation of the system can be seen above.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
Get Outlook for Android