hard folding cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brentwasham

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman, metallic red with wheel-to-wheel black sidesteps and fender flares, factory wheels
Engine
I made a mistake in gettting the 3-section folding cover because it was cheaper (<$600 versus $800). When it was two weeks old I was on a job with high-height tools requiring it to travel folded. Was tired and forgot to fasten strap, got on the freeway, and "boom" the wind unfolded it damaging one of the frames by the hinge. My old four-section never had this problem and didn't cover up so much of the bed when folded, making it easier to reach stuff close to the cab. Have had this accident recur once in 3 years and the thing is barely holding together and obviously damaged. The model was Rugged Liner EH-D6509 Hard Tonneau Cover for Dodge Ram Pickup (6.5 foot bed) $569.21. Another problem with the 3-secion cover is if you have a bed extender frame, have to fold the cover all the way up to change position of frame from tailgate to inside bed or vice-versa.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Great postl. In our truck club of 32. Every truck has a bed cover. Every one who has the 3 fold, wishes they would have gotten the 4 fold. Many of the people are older and the 4 fold tops are easier to use. Several of us have the retractable hard cover. Expensive $1500-$1700. I went with the Truck Cover USA after looking at the rail and attachment quality. Also wanted one that kept the water out of the bed. I was leaning to the 4 fold, but the 5yr warranty and easy use got me to step up. One of the trucks has the electric roll top with external key fob $2300. Over the top, but realy cool.

jmlopez1969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had the BAKFLIP F1 now for about 2 years. The dealership removed and installed it back when I traded my 2012 Ram 1500 for a 2018 Ram 1500. It works great. I did have the BAKFLIP G2 when I first bought by 2012 but its aluminum and it received some bad hail damage but so did the rest of my truck. My guy who I buy all my truck parts from (personal and work) suggested the F1 because its fiberglass and less prone to hail damage. Living in Texas we get a lot of hail. I actually sold the damaged one for $250 as is. The structure was still great just not cosmetically appealing. I've been very happy with the BAKFLIP products.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've been looking into hard folders the past few weeks. The short version is I've just decided to stick with my soft tri fold for now.

It seems pretty much every model has issues with leaking hinges, either right out of the box or within a year. Most popular seem to the BakFlip or Extang, and Undercover. Then there are the "rest" like Gator, Rugged Liner, Lomax, G4, etc - note I'm leaving out the HD Industrial type covers like Diamondback, etc. It just seem no one has been able to manf. a hinge that won' leak. I could not find a hard folder that didn't have multiple complaints about leaking.

As already noted most require the last fold to be open to close the tailgate, which can get old very fast. The one's that don't are the Bakflip MX4, Extang Solid Fold, and Undercover Flex models in the "Big3". The are probably a few others as well. Also interesting to note is that most brands actually fall under one company umbrella - Truck Hero. You can check out www.truck-hero.com.

I've read probably more complaints about BakFlip products and Customer Service/Warranty than any of them - but they also appear to be the most popular. But pick a brand and search goodle for *** leaks and you will find plenty of videos and reviews/complaint about pretty much every brand of hard folder.

Anyway, if I were forced to chose, I would probably go with the UC Flex Elite, or maybe the G4 Fold a Cover. But I've decided to hold off for now. I just can't see spending $800-1200 for a top that will be leaking or fall apart within a yaear I'll just keep my cheap Amazon cover which doesn't leak a drop.

covelle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a BAK flip and when the first cover started to delaminate after it was out of warranty they still sent me a new one. Hard to beat a company that went beyond their warranty to make sure I was happy

bankshot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
Paragon here. Same report as the other owners. Metal, can be folded to give access to the entire bed, or removed if you wish. Small leak, call the shop, they suggested a solution On aligning the rails, solved the leak. Secure when closed and locked. Recommend .

Mohican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
hey guys and girls I’m looking for a bed cover thats hard material and can fold. I was looking at the gator fx3 however you can’t close the tailgate without opening the bed cover first. I’m now looking at the bakflip mx4 and the undercover ultra flex. Anyone recommend one brand over the other the pros and cons would be great.

Thanks

I've had both the Backflip and now the Backflip VP. Do not get the VP. Mine is only 2 years old and it's starting to sag. The original one I had was great and held up to even heavy snow being on it for days. I saw others who posted on here about problems with the VP but after I had already bought mine. I'm thinking about switching to a hard roll top version. I prefer one that won't block my rear window when I need to use the bed of my truck.

Ram13BH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CUMMINS
I have the BakFlip, and, while I really like it, it also requires the tailgate be closed before the last panel. The other issue with it is the weight...it's VERY HEAVY! if you are not in the bed of the truck or have someone helping from the other side on the ground, it is impossible to fold it all the way up to the cab. I have a 60 gallon auxiliary fuel tank in the front of the bed and I have to climb up in the bed to fold the cover all the way up every two to three weeks when I fill it. Not a terrible thing, but I'm in my mid-50's and fairly out of shape... LOL :happy160:

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had both the Backflip and now the Backflip VP. Do not get the VP. Mine is only 2 years old and it's starting to sag. The original one I had was great and held up to even heavy snow being on it for days. I saw others who posted on here about problems with the VP but after I had already bought mine. I'm thinking about switching to a hard roll top version. I prefer one that won't block my rear window when I need to use the bed of my truck.

Bought my VP in 2014 and still in great condition.

TR Shaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.4
hey guys and girls I’m looking for a bed cover thats hard material and can fold. I was looking at the gator fx3 however you can’t close the tailgate without opening the bed cover first. I’m now looking at the bakflip mx4 and the undercover ultra flex. Anyone recommend one brand over the other the pros and cons would be great.

Thanks
Love my MX4, Laramie 2500 6.4 bed. Had a Bak on my Ridgeline for years!

Big Bad Chad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just picked up the Lomax on Amazon for $730... and it took about a whole 5 mins to install it with a friend holding the rails...
Here are a few images on it right now. One of the main reason why I chose this Lomax was that I could wrap it in vinyl to match the Hydro Blue cheaply instead of having it painted.
The love the low profile and you can close it with the tailgate either opened or closed.

View attachment 136648

View attachment 136649

View attachment 136650

View attachment 136651

View attachment 136652
Nice truck did you lower it? I have the hydro blue as well, the color gets lots of compliments but i think the paint is pretty thin and it chips very easily on mine. Also the video i watched on the lomax in the comments the poster of the video says it was not made in a way that it could be wrapped.

mighty noid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hydro Blue 2018 4x2 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice truck did you lower it? I have the hydro blue as well, the color gets lots of compliments but i think the paint is pretty thin and it chips very easily on mine. Also the video i watched on the lomax in the comments the poster of the video says it was not made in a way that it could be wrapped.
Yes I lowered it... 4" front and 6" rear...

Aso for wrapping it. It depends on the vinyl that you use. The cheap stuff will not stick to well since the surface is not completely smooth.. but I will post pics once I am done with it...

Yes the color grabs a ton of attention. Chips... yeah I have some on the front bumper which I will be showing the dealer very soon.

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have an Xtang Solid Fold 2...My wife can even get up and walk on it.

We should all be so lucky to have such petite dainty wife.
Yours could probably also use one of those hammocks that they sell for between the roll bars on a jeep, too, huh?

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Kinda separate from the OP, but also related:

Anyone with the factory/OEM trifold???
How's that one stack up against third party after-purchase?
Are the three panels solid or fabric?

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Kinda separate from the OP, but also related:

Anyone with the factory/OEM trifold???
How's that one stack up against third party after-purchase?
Are the three panels solid or fabric?

Had the OEM. It’s nice, but fades. Unlock bezel can be a bit awkward for opening. Locking can be a bit awkward too. The panel closest to the cab opens away from the cab, that’s the nicest feature.

I opted to but a Bakflip MX4. Lower profile, matte finish and UV protection is nice. Good quality.

Did a lot of research and felt like Bakflip offered the best value, security and functionality. Entire cover can be folded and secured open against the cab window for full bed access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brentwasham

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman, metallic red with wheel-to-wheel black sidesteps and fender flares, factory wheels
Engine
I made a mistake in gettting the 3-section folding cover because it was cheaper (<$600 versus $800). When it was two weeks old I was on a job with high-height tools requiring it to travel folded. Was tired and forgot to fasten strap, got on the freeway, and "boom" the wind unfolded it damaging one of the frames by the hinge. My old four-section never had this problem and didn't cover up so much of the bed when folded, making it easier to reach stuff close to the cab. Have had this accident recur once in 3 years and the thing is barely holding together and obviously damaged. The model was Rugged Liner EH-D6509 Hard Tonneau Cover for Dodge Ram Pickup (6.5 foot bed) $569.21. Another problem with the 3-secion cover is if you have a bed extender frame, have to fold the cover all the way up to change position of frame from tailgate to inside bed or vice-versa.

JOHRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
I've used both an Extang Solid Fold 2.0 and a Bakflip MX4. Both are great. Extang can hold a lot of weight. I'm 230lbs and could get up on it. Bakflip can hold my 120lbs wife just fine, but its thinner and I'd be more hesitant to get up on it.

I love the low profile of the Backflip and that it can close and latch with the tailgate closed. We switched from the Extang so we could access the full bed. The last panel of the Extang stays shut. The Backflip can open all the way up and press against the rear window to access the full bed. That was a big feature for us.

brentwasham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Limped along with the damaged cover a couple more years and last week left the house in a hurry, forgot to latch it down in stacked position, and lost the whole last section on the freeway. Nerve-wracking, nearly caused an accident as the guy behind me had to swerve to miss it then about 50 cars ran over it before I could go-round and retrieve. Truck is too old to spend the typical tri-fold hard cover cost, now about $800 and I can't go back to that scenario. Found a four-fold flush on Ali-baba for $300 plus ship but you have to order quantity five, and they don't have a US reseller in Texas I could call. Not sure I can get 6' 4" for 4th generation Ram there, too. Thought about ordering another tri-fold on E-bay for $400 and hanging a note on the dash to be sure its folded but think I need a better solution. Considering just living without for a year but hate shuttling tool boxes and other items of value to back seat every time I stop at Lowes. I work off the tailgate a lot. Any ideas?

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got the mopar one from dealer and its a complete piece of junk. the hinges froze in the winter time and snapped, the lock down handles,well dont lock down very well. I had bungee cords trying to hold it in place so it wouldnt slide. then on top of that they wouldnt warranty it after the hinges snapped ( on both sides). all for the price of around 700 bucks. I'm just looking at getting a cheap one from summit cause they have different names but looks like the same build for 200-300 bucks. cant stand an open bed