Hard low profile tonneau for 2019's.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
BakFlip arrived today and is sitting on my front door step. Can wait to get home and get it installed as soon as the sun goes down and the temp drops to [emoji817] degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Mine was supposed to arrive on Friday, then FedEx swapped it to Monday. :(

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
Just got mine installed. Reserving my thoughts until I can see it in the light.

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
So my thoughts on the BakFlip MX4. I have only had a few of the Undercover Flex’s before so I am really only comparing it to that. Install was easy even in the dark. It seems more flush than my last Flex. I like the finish on the MX4 compared to the F lex as it seems more like a rough powder coat as opposed to painted roughed up aluminum. Time will tell if it will hold up in the Arizona sun. The overall build seems a little better but not a big fan of having the bolts to secure it to the rails on the outside. In the flex it was all underneath the cover. I dislike the fact that I can’t lock it in the upright position and instead have to lean it just above the back window. I couldn’t imagine really doing that without a towel or something to keep it from rubbing on the truck. Flex wins hands down there. I appreciate that I can open and close the tailgate independently from the cover. If the Flex’s has that feature I would probably buy the Flex over the BakFlip. I am happy with the purchase but not sure I would buy it again because of not being able to lock it upright.

c5aad00b791a923a7298838df63a2eb9.jpg29346e924008120ef2ded66de67b1c7e.jpgc81f5dcad563ffa400a6d02df7a2dfa2.jpg

Kevin C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was looking into this tonneau. Doesn't it have some straps you engage when it is in the tilted up position to lock it down? And I thought it came with some rubber "bumpers" you install where it hits the cab?

Sure looks nice in the pics.

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
There are straps. I haven’t really messed with them but they look like the same ones that were on the Flex which allow you to secure it when it’s in the last folded position before opening it all the way. There are some tape backed foam/rubber strips that came with it but still not sure I would want it leaning up against the cab. The Flex used the rods on the side rails to secure into a ball joint on the cover to lock it at a 90 degree angle. I much prefer that design.

Kevin C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are straps. I haven’t really messed with them but they look like the same ones that were on the Flex which allow you to secure it when it’s in the last folded position before opening it all the way. There are some tape backed foam/rubber strips that came with it but still not sure I would want it leaning up against the cab. The Flex used the rods on the side rails to secure into a ball joint on the cover to lock it at a 90 degree angle. I much prefer that design.

It looks like the MX4 also has locking rods for upright "locking" in place. Are yours missing?
https://bakflip.com/bakflip-mx4-tonneau-cover.html

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
^^^^ My G2 has the foam bumper that rests against the cab in the upright position. Works fine and it's never left marks. As far as locking in the upright position, mine has 2 prop rods that hold the tonneau folded open.

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
Last edited:

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just need mine to keep whatever I have back there when I travel dry. Outside of that I usually don’t carry more then myself and one other perks on inside, so most of what I’ll carry will be on the back floor.

Kevin C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless I am using it wrong it “locks” it against the cab and not in a vertical position.

Edited to add the picture from their site.

6b61decb9f693a62e98a011145676bbf.jpg

My bad. I misunderstood what you were trying to do. Yes, this is what I was referring to - locking it up against the cab.

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
I just need mine to keep whatever I have back there when I travel dry. Outside of that I usually don’t carry more then myself and one other perks on inside, so most of what I’ll carry will be on the back floor.

I open and close the tailgate more than I need to fully open the cover so I prefer the independent closing but when loading up for camping or occasionally hauling something big I do usually prop it open. I’ll check out the foam strips and see if I feel more comfortable with it being against the cab. I sure would hate to scratch up “Sparkles” so quickly. (Name affectionately given by my wife)

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Lol I’m only using mine for groceries and suitcases.

warv3t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Installed undercover ultra flex on Saturday. Looks like UH60s flex, but my panels are smooth and its carpeted underneath. Also come with some light strips and storage bag that hands inside. I like that it doesn't lean against the back of the truck in the "up" position. I traveled on Saturday in some horrible rain for over an hour. There were very minimal drops of water near the rear corners inside/rear by tailgate.

Ram has seals already on the tailgate, so I opted not to install additional ones, but I'll go back and get a strip or two placed vertically and closer to the corners of the bed. I'm extremely happy with how dry things were though...........because it was raining so hard, we considered turning around and going back home.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Installed undercover ultra flex on Saturday. Looks like UH60s flex, but my panels are smooth and its carpeted underneath. Also come with some light strips and storage bag that hands inside. I like that it doesn't lean against the back of the truck in the "up" position. I traveled on Saturday in some horrible rain for over an hour. There were very minimal drops of water near the rear corners inside/rear by tailgate.

Ram has seals already on the tailgate, so I opted not to install additional ones, but I'll go back and get a strip or two placed vertically and closer to the corners of the bed. I'm extremely happy with how dry things were though...........because it was raining so hard, we considered turning around and going back home.
How was your fitment? I mentioned my experience earlier in the thread

warv3t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How was your fitment? I mentioned my experience earlier in the thread

Like a glove! I admit that I didn't install it......small mom/pops truck store I've been supporting since 2003 and the internet makes it hard on them. I didn't install the lights and the bag.....well, it may come out too. I just read your comments. Mine sits really flush and that horrible rain storm was proof enough of it fitting nice and tight.

On page 1, UH60 posted a pic of his tri fold .....mine sits like that. What was so different with yours. His isn't "overly" protruding over onto the bed cap or anything......it has just enough seal over the bed cap to do it's thing.

Last edited:

Doxmia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm thinking of picking up the Bakflip MX4.

I have a brand new uninstalled Mopar soft (82215254), but might just try and sell it and go with a Bakflip. Wish I didn't buy the Mopar one since I don't think they're easy to sell but I'm thinking about it still.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like a glove! I admit that I didn't install it......small mom/pops truck store I've been supporting since 2003 and the internet makes it hard on them. I didn't install the lights and the bag.....well, it may come out too. I just read your comments. Mine sits really flush and that horrible rain storm was proof enough of it fitting nice and tight.

On page 1, UH60 posted a pic of his tri fold .....mine sits like that. What was so different with yours. His isn't "overly" protruding over onto the bed cap or anything......it has just enough seal over the bed cap to do it's thing.
That's very odd...like I said, it barely sat on the bed rail and I'm talking like a fingernail maybe. I didn't feel good about that. I admit you get nice things with it like the carpet and lights, but I couldn't deal with the horrible sit it had.